Which 50 - 55 inch TV to buy for reasonable money

GregHill3

Standard Member
As per another post our LG 8900 series TV has recently bit the dust. I have been pondering for a few weeks, but now really need a new TV so I can watch the NBA playoffs. I am not bothered by smart content, just want the best picture for a not too silly amount of money, I could go to 1.5Kish.

Looking at the specs for a few, the new 50" TVs are about the same size as our old 47LE8900, but for only a few cms more I could have a 55", so am open to suggestions on both sizes. I would need to buy with 5 year warranty so JL, Richer Sounds or possibly Sevenoaks.

Mostly TV/films and sport, no gaming

any advice would be great

GregHill3

Standard Member
I looked at the Panny a while ago in store, but the reviews I have found are a bit indifferent, any idea what it is like in the home environment, can I get good blacks for example? It is a pretty good price but are there any better models out there? What about the new Toshiba sets with full array local dimming, would this be worth hanging on for?

vickster

Distinguished Member
I think the sony is the best out there. Dont know anything about toshiba. If blacks are an issue. Then plasma and avoid lg and Panasonic led models and anything else with an IPS panel

GregHill3

Standard Member
Better try and track down the Sony, for plasma that only leave me the panny plasma from last year. I was happy with my old LG 8900 black levels, and went for that as the kids leave the set on pause for ages and was worried about screen burn, presumably this is now a think of the past? Would the panny plasma be worth the extra cash over the LED? Thanks for the help btw

vickster

Distinguished Member
Image retention is still a risk, if concerned, buy an led or another tv for the kids ;)

GregHill3

Standard Member
Been looking today online and can only find ex-demo Sony, but am considering the TX-L55DT65B from JL. I don't suppose the new sets will have a drastically better picture, and this set seems t get good reviews, will read up some more on this one and maybe have a store visit at the weekend

improvox

Novice Member
I ordered the TX-L55DT65B after reading good reviews on various sites and viewing it in John Lewis recently. It "looks" to be a decent buy at £1300 from John Lewis with the 5 year warranty, mine gets delivered in the morning, cant wait!

GregHill3

Standard Member
love to get your initial impressions after you have set it up - one last ditch attempt to get LG to sort me something out, then it will have to be off to the shops

improvox

Novice Member
It was just highlighted to me on another thread that the TX-L55DT65B has been dropped in price at Richer Sounds to £1099, which is £200 cheaper than JL. I have submitted a Price Match request so hopefully should get the refund.

At the price of £1099 this TV seems even more of a bargain!

improvox

Novice Member
Well John Lewis have lived up to their reputation for excellent customer service by confirming that they will price match Richer Sounds and are refunding me £200 off the price I paid for the TX-L55DT65B. Very happy with that!

I have got it set up and my first impressions are very positive. Love the design and the look of the TV, the ultra thin silver bezel looks great, it is reflective but is not off putting. The screen itself is fairly reflective, which isnt always ideal, but nothing that I cant live with.

I have used the settings from the first page of this thread: Panasonic TX-LXXDT65B Owners Thread | Page 13 | AVForums and the Picture Quality really is excellent. Watching TV programmes in HD or SD is a real joy. While I havent watched a whole episode yet, i did fire up the Netflix App and watched 10 minutes of Breaking Bad, the picture is superb, I was really amazed how good it looked. Used the You Tube App yesterday and while the picture wasnt great - as you would expect from home uploaded content - it still looked good on such a big screen.

While I was out Saturday night, my wife watched Avatar which I presume was on some terrestrial HD channel, she texted me to say that the picture was "immense", this is quite an endorsement from someone who never uses the word immense and also couldnt tell the difference between HD and SD a few years ago!

We watched Elysium on Blu Ray last night (via a PS4) - while the film wasnt exactly great(!) the picture was excellent, I have seen a lot of comments about poor blacks, but honestly I thought it done a very good job. The real test on this will be when I get round to watching The Dark Knight on Blu Ray.

Gaming - I had a couple of games of Fifa14 on the PS4 over the weekend, I couldnt tell much difference with Game Mode on or off to be honest. There wasnt any noticable lag although I did see a hint of motion blur with the ball from Goal Kicks, or hard shots. But its hard to tell whether that is the TV or the game.

I cant comment on Sound quality as I have the Sonos Playbar.

The only downside really is that I have a small amount of DSE - about the size of a large(ish) thumb print, bottom centre of the screen. It is not noticable at all during normal tv watching but was noticable when watching some of the Liverpool Chelsea match yesterday and when playing Fifa. I dont think it is bad enough/distracting enough to return the unit, as I fear getting a worse one, but will see how i get on this week.

Really enjoying the TV overall and look forward to using some of its other features over the next few days.

GregHill3

Standard Member
Interesting to hear your comment about the black levels as I was wondering about that. I honestly thought they were good on my LE8900 model and they seemed good when viewing the panny in store. Will now have to persuade my wife that the fact that the base is silver instead of black should not really be an issue as I can spray it gloss anyway and if we don't get a new set soon, the playoffs will be over :)

GregHill3

Standard Member
Just wondering how the TX-L55DT65B would compare against the new sony KDL50W8? Also does anybody know if I can get a stand for either of these in black that will swivel?

GregHill3

Standard Member
just been having a scout on the owners thread, seems like the sony gets a good review, and there is a 55" due out May/June, anybody know if it is May or June? Might have to compare the two in JL at the weekend, and see what I can find out about the 55" w8

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom