Which 5.1 speakers for my living room?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BAZZER72, Jan 25, 2008.

1. BAZZER72

BAZZER72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys, my living room measures 4.7m x 3.2m and I'm seeking advice on which speaker package to purchase for it. It will be for movies and games viewed lengthways, with speakers wallmounted, I sit a few feet off the back wall. Budget of around £600, although more depending on feedback. I have a 40in LCD, PS3 for blu-rays and games and I pick up an Onkyo 605 tomorrow. For my room size, should I just spend all of the budget on what I fancy e.g. Quad L-ite,AE Aego T,etc or will that be too loud, given I live in a flat and have neighbours to consider? Or go for a cheaper, less powerfull package e.g. Jamo A102, Canton CD102? Any response will be appeciated, hopefully helping in my decision of what to go for........cheers!

2. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    What do you mean by less powerful? Only the subwoofer has any 'power'. The rest of the speakers have no power - they're passive - it's your amp that has the power.
    If the speakers are rated at 200 watts rather than 100 watts it doesn't mean they're more powerful - it just means they can be used with a more powerful amplifier but it's no indication that they'll be louder - that's dependant on other factors such as efficiency.
    Something like the Quads will not be too loud unless you turn the volume up too much and that's true for any of the speakers you mention.
    What the Quads will give you is a higher quality sound.
    If I were buying a system with a budget of £600 I'd buy the Quads every time.
    They're great speakers with a stonking subwoofer and an absolute steal at this price. Don't forget they were a £1000 until the recent discounts.

3. BAZZER72

BAZZER72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi swallocks, yep I guess it's the sub I'm slightly concerned about. Higher quality sound is what i'm after from speakers. I could just turn set the sub to less floor shaking bass, can't I? Will the cheaper range of packages not give me the experience I'm after from the speakers?.....sorry for the noob speak!

4. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    The sub should be set at a level to balance with the rest of your speakers so the Quad shouldn't be any louder than the others if it's set correctly.
    What it should do is reproduce cleaner, tighter and lower bass than a smaller less powerful sub. You may find it's actually less disturbing to neighbours than a cheaper one.
    As with any sub, if it's a problem turn it down a bit or off altogether when the neighbours are in.

The Jamo A102's may well be decent little speakers but they shouldn't be compared to the likes of the Quads. They're a very different product at a very different price level and believe me the difference in sound quality will be like night and day.
    If you can afford it, buy the Quads.
    They're a bargain at the current price and of a quality that will last for years without the need to upgrade.

5. BAZZER72

BAZZER72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for your opinion on the speakers swallocks, your points have just rung home to me the difference money makes for i'm just starting out.

6. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Should have said - my comments on the Quads apply to the AE Aego T system too. That's also a great buy for £600. (I have a bit of a soft spot for Quads and sometimes get a bit carried away.)

If you can, get a demo before you buy and get whichever sounds best to you.

7. BAZZER72

BAZZER72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have settled on the mordaunt short alumni package, mainly because buying the onkyo and ms alumni together, richersounds are offering an onkyo dvd player and an icon modus av rack...FREE!. Great deal and too good to turn down.

8. Robsk1

Robsk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    A great offer. How much?? 1k???

Whatever they are offering just try and listen to it before buying and compare to another set. There are alway reasons to offer a package. Just because you are saving a 100-200 it doesn't mean you should buy. Get what is good to your ears.

End of.

9. BAZZER72

BAZZER72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Fair point, but they don't have a demo room anymore so although the quad ll-ites are cheaper, I've still to buy without demoing any package. Sure that's not ideal but just can't see me being dissapointed with them.
    Between the two packages, I would go for the quads on the strength of peoples views of them on these forums, then again wouldn't know the difference between them anyway without hearing either. Also need an av rack and can sell the dvd player.