Which 5.1 Speaker Package ?

Maxamus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im in the market for a 5.1 speaker package and am i bit stuck as i lack AV knowledge on such matters.

I've been looking at Kef KHT1005.2 5.1 system package which i've seen for £399.

Are they any good?

My budget is around £400

I have recently bought Quad Lites - they are available in rosewood for about £465-499 so slightly above your quoted budget but to my ears much much better that the Kef 1005s.

I asked this question in reverse to a mate who runs a HiFi shop.

I asked about the Quad Lites and he suggested the KEFs.

He said the Quads can sound a little dull???

Personally, from a pure asthetic point, I prefer the look of rosewood Quads and they would suit our front room better. :)

weymouth HiFi has B grade KEF at £279.

I looked at the Quad's. I would buy them if i could find them anywhere in Black or Beach but they are only available in Rosewood and that would look gastly

Black would be ideal but the pictures I've seen of the rosewood seems to show they are quite darker than the online brochure pics. However, they may not suit where your putting them in any other colour. Wouldn't like silver at all.

I'm going for the rosewoods. Just got to make a decision on the receiver.

Rosewood would look horrid in my room and silver would look out of place. Need them or any speaker package in black...

I asked this question in reverse to a mate who runs a HiFi shop.

I asked about the Quad Lites and he suggested the KEFs.

He said the Quads can sound a little dull???

Personally, from a pure asthetic point, I prefer the look of rosewood Quads and they would suit our front room better. :)

weymouth HiFi has B grade KEF at £279.

All i can say is that my own experience of listening to the quads they are anything but dull - very good mid and high and the sub is the best i have heard in this price range.

I have listened to the Kef 1005s and 2005s (although not the 3005s) and i thought overall the Quads had a fuller richer sound. I guess the lesson is that you really have to try these things with your own ears - speaker choice is a very subjective thing.:smashin:

i thik i will either go with Q Acoustics 1010/1010i @ £499 or the Wharfedale 9.1AV @ £650

IIRC I read in another thread that the quad l-ites are discontinued (new, upgraded models are coming!), and you won't find any black :(

That is correct - only availability is whatever stock the dealers currently hold which is mostly rosewood and very limited silver. Bear in mind the rosewood are now selling at less than half the rrp and no doubt the new models will be around the £1,000 mark.

That is correct - only availability is whatever stock the dealers currently hold which is mostly rosewood and very limited silver. Bear in mind the rosewood are now selling at less than half the rrp and no doubt the new models will be around the £1,000 mark.
I can't understand it... Rosewood looks stunning! If I were starting now with my first HT, I would certainly go for it.

I can't understand it... Rosewood looks stunning! If I were starting now with my first HT, I would certainly go for it.

Most people like me have black gear including furnture so adding Rosewood to the mixture would make it look out of place.
Theres a reason why Rosewood are 1/2 the price. Its because they dont suit most peoples taste or setup. Which is the case for me.

Nope me either. I am delighted with my rosewood quads - the sub is one of the nicest bit of furiture i've seen:rotfl:

Most people like me have black gear including furnture so adding Rosewood to the mixture would make it look out of place.
Theres a reason why Rosewood are 1/2 the price. Its because they dont suit most peoples taste or setup. Which is the case for me.

I guess i am just lucky - i have wooden flooring which has a strip of rosewood all the way round so these look as if i have had them custom made to match!!:thumbsup:

I bought the Kefs (1005.2 in black) yesterday for £299 from Richer sounds. A site called audio affair had them at that price yesterday and they price matched it. Unfortunately they've changed the price today to £399. If you can find the same offer go for it, they're stunning to look at in black and match perfectly with my ps3 and denon 1908.

Sound wise, they're great, a real depth of sound, the sub is brilliant, lovely deep boom to it, but not ott. I couldn't be happier with them, especially as you get wall mount connections with them :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom