Question Which 5.1 speaker package (max approx £2k)

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Igniseus, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Igniseus

Igniseus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my sound system and I'm struggling to decide on which speakers to buy/demo.

Currently I'm looking at the Cambridge Audio Aero 5.1 package - Cambridge Audio AERO 5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

And the Monitor Audio Bronze B5 5.1 package - Monitor Audio BRONZE B5 5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

Usage / Requirements
    • Ideal budget is £1,000 - £1,500 on all speakers, possibly stretch to £2,000 if audio quality increase is substantial enough
    • Buying a new receiver, likely the new Onkyo TX-NR555 (or 656 if necessary)
    • Aesthetics is of little importance (sounds and function first) as is layout (not too fussed if speaker looks a bit silly in its spot if that's the ideal spot for quality)
    • Room is a little odd shaped, but is roughly 3.3m x 7m (11ft x 23ft)
    • I quite like the idea of floorstanders, but stand mounts are ok too if quality is better for the £
    • 70% TV/Movies
    • 20% Games (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
    • 10% Music
    • Detached house (with a car and a bit widths to the next neighbour)
    • Current speakers and amp which are to be replaced: Onkyo S5405 (Onkyo | HT-S5405)
    Room setup
    • Plan is to have TV roughly in the middle of the room (its a living room and dining room)
    • If TV is in middle of room, then something behind it to act as a room divider and block out the dining room behind the TV (distracting), plan is to buy one of these and fill with draws to make it a solid wood wall with storage - KALLAX Shelving unit with 8 inserts - birch effect - IKEA
    • Front speakers would ideally sit either side of TV and hopefully behind the speakers would be open space, failing that the previous mentioned shelf divider may be behind it (15-45cm)
    • Surround/Side speakers would be on wall, within the 90-100 degree recommended, and at or above ear height
    • Subwoofer would be just in front and to the right against the wall and fireplace (a metre or two from corner)
    • Main listening position (me!) would be as close as possible to centre / equal distances from each speaker pair
    • The room is open into the stairs leading upstairs (no doors or other barriers)

Another possibility is spend more on the speakers individually and upgrade over time, say £3k-£4 over several years, but it would mean the first year or so may be with a very random assortment of gear (£1k+ speakers coupled with <£100) if I do it piecemeal.

Can anyone make any suggestions on a good set? What are your thoughts on my initial 2 choices?

Any thoughts on room layout, bad, good? I can have the layout however I want but the open stairs, doors and windows limit me a bit with regards to surround speakers if I rotate the layout.

I will try draw up a room layout diagram ASAP too.

Sorry for the rather long post!

Thanks!

2. Igniseus

Igniseus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the living room, with the dining room to the left out of view, and a small area and the stairs behind the camera.

The plan was to move the TV to where the sofa is, facing the window, and have the sofa up against the window. Subwoofer would go where TV is (next to fireplace, not the corner), and side surround would be on wall behind the TV and oppose wall (not visible below).

Forgive the mess, we are decorating and its got messy!

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

Thanks

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    If possible it is generally advisable to have the sub towards the front of the system. Hence could it be placed the other side of the fireplace and closer to the new TV location?
    Given your usage split it would be worth listening to some good sub/satellite systems within your budget. Hence you could look at the B&W M1s, Monitor Audio Radius or some of the Focal options. However, I would not look at the packages as such but get the satellite speakers above and then pair with a BK Electronics sub instead (would also be the same advice for the speaker sets you mentioned at the start since the BK subs will offer better value for money and no need to get the matching sub).
    Any reason for the Onkyo AVR? Plenty of good options from Yamaha/Denon etc? I would look to spend around £500-600 on the AVR if looking at a £1500 speaker set.

4. Igniseus

Igniseus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the good info PSM1.

The sub may be able to go opposite side of fireplace, but seemed unlikely due to TV stand and speakers either side taking up the full space (at least not leaving room for a 10"+ sub)

I was leaning towards floorstanders because I've never had them before, wanted to treat myself, and they look nicer than standmounts/satellites on stands (IMO). Nicer sound was also assumed from research. I will look into those mentioned and other satellites though definitely.

The main thing that concerns me about the BK subs is the warranty, it's 2 years I think last I checked, whereas many retailers will extend the subs sold to 6 years which is great piece of mine given their cost.

Reason for Onkyo choice is simply because my current and only receiver I've had is Onkyo and I couldn't be more happy with it, it's been great. And the new ones due out any day have some great features beyond the usual atmos, 4k HDR etc like Chromecast integrated. Will look at others if they have these features and are regarded as better though?

Also, does anyone know any good dipole/bipole speakers that can comfortable fit on most speaker stands in case I dont wall mount?

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    The build quality of BK subs is fine so I would not worry about the perceived lack of warranty to be honest.
    All films are mastered with a sub/satellite speaker package in mind hence floorstanders give no real benefit for a mainly movie biased system. The only time floorstanders can help is you like to listen to music in a stereo (2.0) configuration. In fact standmounts can often have better clarity and timing compared to a similar priced floorstander so the assumption floorstander=better sound is a bit flawed to be honest. A lot of the floorstanders are better comments come from people with 2.0 stereo systems where the obvious extension of bass is an advantage.
    Yamaha and Denon have some great features including systems that can make your AVR part of a Sonos type of whole house system. So they are well worth looking into to see if they offer you something more than the Onkyos.
    I was under the impression all bipole/dipole speakers are designed to be mounted directly to a wall hence stands may not be the best option.

6. Igniseus

Igniseus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I see what your saying. I guess i'll have to just demo to see what I think with regards to floorstanders/standmounts. I'm after something powerful and want to really feel the audio hitting me and some people comment that the more air pushed by floorstanders provide this. With so many opinions and personal tastes its difficult!

7. Igniseus

Igniseus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about these, would this be a good setup?

Monitor Audio Silver FX
    Monitor Audio Silver Centre
    Monitor Audio Silver 1

And then either the Silver W12 Sub or a BK Sub

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    The sub will give you impact you want more than any floorstander. The silver are a good speaker but really need to look at spending more on the avr as well.

9. Igniseus

Igniseus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would a Denon AVR-X3200W be sufficient for the Silvers?

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    The 4200 would be a better option I feel. I think the 3200 is just a 2200 with some extra features.

11. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,081
    It's nice to upgrade all at once but trying to juggle a receiver and all speakers into a pre determined budget posses too many restraints. To me getting a really good AVR and working around that is the basis for a good set up. The Denon x4200w has been mentioned and there may be deals out there when contacting various suppliers. I assume that you already have surround speakers. Why not use the remainder of the budget for better front three and a sub. They are by far the most important and perhaps all three are best from the same model.

Rears can be kept from your current ones, especially as room placement could be altered around. Once that is sorted and finances allow upgrade the rears.

12. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    The Monitor Audio Sliver Sub is pretty expensive running about £1000, and the Monitor Audio Bronze Sub running about £500.

For that money you can buy the best Sub that BK Electronics makes, in fact, you could probably buy two. -

BK Electronics - Subwoofer

They make both FF (front firing) and DF (down firing) Subwoofers.

The latest Sub is the P12-330SB for about £380 -

Platinum P12300-SB

Platinum P12300-SB-FF

Though realistically, the BK Elec XLS200 (£315) would be enough.

XLS200-FF

XLS200-DF

You can also add these speakers to your list -

Dali Zensor 5 package - £1430 -

Dali Zensor 5 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package - Superfi

Not to imply that there is anything wrong with the original packaged you selected.

The Dali Zensor 7 (£1600) package are larger speakers, but not far outside your price range -

Dali Zensor 7 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package - Superfi

Steve/bluewizard

13. Igniseus

Igniseus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve.

I have just come back from an excellent demo of all the Bronze speakers and Silvers (except the 10).
    I think I might get the following, what do you think?

Silver 8 for fronts
    Silver centre
    Bronze FX
    Total for those is £1399

Demon x4200w £749
    Or for future upgradability, Pioneer SC-LX59 £999

Not sure on sub, but possibly the BK one suggested or the massive plus size one.

Thanks

14. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    Personally i would get the silver rears too.