• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which 5.1 set ups should I look at if I am stuck with only speakers that have to be wall-mounted?

subsonicbassist

Novice Member
I have some Yamaha HTiB speakers with an upgraded Yamaha RX-A680, and these speakers are relatively clear but a bit shallow and underwhelming. Plus, the center seems to be getting some distortion when big explosions happen and I think it is due to the rear porting on these speakers amplifying some frequencies I don't want. Are there any speakers that actually sound good and can dig deep enough for home theater and 2.1 duties while being wall mounted? Not wanting to spend a ton but so far all I have seen are some Martin Logan options that are way over my budget (under $700 for the set would be great).

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have some Yamaha HTiB speakers with an upgraded Yamaha RX-A680, and these speakers are relatively clear but a bit shallow and underwhelming. Plus, the center seems to be getting some distortion when big explosions happen and I think it is due to the rear porting on these speakers amplifying some frequencies I don't want. Are there any speakers that actually sound good and can dig deep enough for home theater and 2.1 duties while being wall mounted? Not wanting to spend a ton but so far all I have seen are some Martin Logan options that are way over my budget (under $700 for the set would be great).

I would look some internet direct options as you live in US. Example Ascend Acoustics is very popular brand which even shows measurements of each their models. Neutral sound with fairly flat response. And as you want to wall mount the speakers then sealed cabinets are good idea. HTM-200SE should be ideal choice. They also offer 30day buy & try with 5year warranty. Your budget is very low though so let`s see what is possible. I think you have to start with 3.1 system if you want decent quality. You can add surround channels later, even from other brand. If the Yamaha HTIB has larger front speakers you may be able to use them as surrounds for the time being. There is one silly limitation in your receiver so ideally you would have similar performing speakers all around.

Pair of HTM-200SE - 298$
1 x HTM-200SE as center channel - 158$
$28 flat rate ground shipping
-----------------
Total 484$

HomeTheaterDirect = HTD is another popular ID choice there.
380$ total with pair of bookshelf speakers and matching center channel. Both are front ported, but also deeper than Ascend so not sure if too massive to be on wall.

NHT would be third option compact sized with sealed cabinets, just google and you will find lot of talk about these. 250$/pair monitors + 200$ center channel, 550$ total so it`s likely bit on the limit as you need sub still.

These would offer you noticeable step up from the small satellite packages you might have considered.

With the subwoofer you have to make biggest compromise as most of quality products cost +300$. So BIC F12 is likely your best bet with such low budget. If you need something smaller physically cause of wife / living in apartment etc. then have to consider other options.
Amazon product

Check those links out and tell me your thoughts.

subsonicbassist

Novice Member
These are some solid options, thanks so much! So I want to look specifically for either sealed or front-ported speakers for the best sound of wall mounting?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
These are some solid options, thanks so much! So I want to look specifically for either sealed or front-ported speakers for the best sound of wall mounting?

Yes, although there is lot of folks who has rear ported speakers wall mounted but they often use the port bungs and/or leave some space behind with the wall brackets. You will find lot of talk each brand from AVSForum if you google and Ascend Acoustics has own forum too if you want to ask something specific. I think those ID brands are great option, something special that not everyone has and there is one middle man less so they should be good products. Most brands offer home demo which is nice so you don`t have to keep them if you don´t like the sound.

I`m not really worried about the speaker choices which you have plenty there in US, but more for the cheap sub. How large is your room and does it open to another space? Is it apartment or house without having to worry about neighbours?

subsonicbassist

Novice Member
Yes, although there is lot of folks who has rear ported speakers wall mounted but they often use the port bungs and/or leave some space behind with the wall brackets. You will find lot of talk each brand from AVSForum if you google and Ascend Acoustics has own forum too if you want to ask something specific. I think those ID brands are great option, something special that not everyone has and there is one middle man less so they should be good products. Most brands offer home demo which is nice so you don`t have to keep them if you don´t like the sound.

I`m not really worried about the speaker choices which you have plenty there in US, but more for the cheap sub. How large is your room and does it open to another space? Is it apartment or house without having to worry about neighbours?
I definitely know the sub is a whole other beast, but my parents live with us and their bedroom/living room is right underneath my living room. I never really have to crank my system to get decent bass levels as I run the gain a bit hot ala Subwoofer101 “again Hack”, but an 8-10” woofer with over 100W would easily fill this small room. I would love something that plays deep but is also musical, currently the 6.5” 30w sub is ok for music but distorts in movies when called for

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I definitely know the sub is a whole other beast, but my parents live with us and their bedroom/living room is right underneath my living room. I never really have to crank my system to get decent bass levels as I run the gain a bit hot ala Subwoofer101 “again Hack”, but an 8-10” woofer with over 100W would easily fill this small room. I would love something that plays deep but is also musical, currently the 6.5” 30w sub is ok for music but distorts in movies when called for

The decent quality smaller subs aren´t cheap either. Here is few popular choices if you can somehow up your budget.

Amazon product

Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom