1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 5.1 6.1 or 7.1

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by moblies, Jan 11, 2005.

1. moblies

moblies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just buying our first amp, and not sure what to go for . Am looking at a
    Sony HTDDW860 6.1ch amp.

All the ones in the shops seem to be 5.1ch ? is 7.1ch readily available and is it worth finding a 7.1ch amp instead.

any help

2. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You are probably better off getting something like a 6 or 7.1 amp/reciever and if you dont use the extra channels they are if you ever need them.
    It depends on how much you want to spend on an amp but there are some cracking bits of kit about. Not many people on the forum talk about Onkyo kit but IMO its well worth checking out some of their producs, blinding for the money :thumbsup:

Also I would consider buying something used from the classifieds, there are many bargains to be had. Put a wanted ad for amps/ recievers on the forum.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    From what I've seen so far,there's relatively little in the way of 6.1 or 7.1 encoded software currently,and whilst this doesnt mean there won't be in the future,it may alter your choice currently.

Personally,i'm very happy with a decent 5.1 channel system,and it would take a lot to convince me to replace any part of that to make it up to 6 or 7.1.

I'd also say that from looking at the item you've listed above,it may be better posting this in the integrated amps/receivers part of the forum....the advice you're going to attract in this area will be on relatively high cost processors and power amps as separates.