Question Which 4k UHD Disc player?

michaelgordon

I have recently upgraded nearly every component in my system bar the 4K player.

I currently have the Sony X700 but wondering if i can do better. What Hifi have this as second on their list but the Panasonic UB820EB.

Streaming would be a good positive, im using the built in apps on TV and would like dolby vision & ATMOS from these and discs.

Not an area i know very well, i want the best picture and sound possible.

Budget wise about £300 + or - and also dont mind used.

GoingGoingGone

Distinguished Member
I have recently upgraded nearly every component in my system bar the 4K player.

I currently have the Sony X700 but wondering if i can do better. What Hifi have this as second on their list but the Panasonic UB820EB.

Streaming would be a good positive, im using the built in apps on TV and would like dolby vision & ATMOS from these and discs.

Not an area i know very well, i want the best picture and sound possible.

Budget wise about £300 + or - and also dont mind used.
What is your TV?

I have the X700 and other players further up the food chain. All of them produce much the same PQ and audio imo.

Uruloke

Sony 65xf9005.

I was going to wait for PS5 and use that but apparently it doesn't do dolby vision.
It doesn't. It's why I'm in this forum looking for the best DV capable 4k players. Gutted about the PS5 on that front.

gibbsy

What is your TV?

I have the X700 and other players further up the food chain. All of them produce much the same PQ and audio imo.
PQ should be the same, the disc quality being the primary quality source. How's it's read and how well the moving parts combine to produce that image has to be taken into account. Vibrations and components can all play their part in either hindering good reproduction or help maintain it. Audio is a bit more complex and there are certainly players that can produce exceptional audio whether on film soundtracks or SACD multi channel playback.

Weight wise and hence build quality, the amount of materials used to dampen vibration and supress noise has to be taken into account. The Sony weights in a 1.4kg whilst the heavyweights can be found in the Pioneer LX models at starting at 10.3kg.

I gave my son a Sony 360 must be over 12 years ago now and it's still going strong, just couldn't live with it's poor audio performance. Can't knock it for reliability though and has certainly outlasted a couple of Denons that came after it.

GoingGoingGone

Distinguished Member
PQ should be the same, the disc quality being the primary quality source. How's it's read and how well the moving parts combine to produce that image has to be taken into account. Vibrations and components can all play their part in either hindering good reproduction or help maintain it. Audio is a bit more complex and there are certainly players that can produce exceptional audio whether on film soundtracks or SACD multi channel playback.

Weight wise and hence build quality, the amount of materials used to dampen vibration and supress noise has to be taken into account. The Sony weights in a 1.4kg whilst the heavyweights can be found in the Pioneer LX models at starting at 10.3kg.

I gave my son a Sony 360 must be over 12 years ago now and it's still going strong, just couldn't live with it's poor audio performance. Can't knock it for reliability though and has certainly outlasted a couple of Denons that came after it.
So you're saying some players can bitstream better than others?

gibbsy

So you're saying some players can bitstream better than others?
The discs still have to be read to be able to pass that bitstream, the mechanics and quality of components do have an effect, certainly on audio. If it didn't we all be buying the cheapest player on the market. It's a bit like saying that all CD players sound the same because they are reading 1 and 0s. The better the build quality and components the less chances of reading errors.

I've had five blu ray players in the last 12 years, still have two. All have performed differently in both PQ and certainly SQ.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom