Which 4k tv should I buy? (£800.00)

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by TudorQueen, Jun 13, 2018.

1. TudorQueen

TudorQueen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    Hope you can help. I'm undecided with which 4k tv to buy, have a budget for about £800.00 now but might keep saving up till Black Friday when I'll have about a grand.

Live in a cottage with small rooms, so max size would be 50", would love to save up for an oled tv but I know they only start at 55", what about a Samsung QLED? Are they mid range between a led and oled? I keep looking at the sonys, Panasonic, Samsung & LG. I watch all sorts, so need it to be good for movies, sport etc. Willing to buy seperate sound bar, so sound not really an issue, its the picture quality that's important. Not bothered about freeview as I have Sky. Should I buy the latest tv out this year or are the ones from last year still ok?

Thanks guys,

Michelle

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum.
    I have moved this thread into the correct section, it will hopefully mean you get more replies.

49/50" is a tricky area to buy in right now, especially if you are looking at models that are more capable with HDR.

But which model you go with depends a lot on how you will use the TV, so maybe you don't need to spend as much as £800.

If you don't need good HDR which it sounds like you won't then the best value right now is the Panasonic 50EX750 at £600 from Currys.

TVs more expensive than that such as the Samsung QLEDs or Sony XF9005/XE9005 are all TVs designed for people who want the very latest and greatest in HDR picture quality, they would be overspending for someone using the TV just for watching regular Sky/sports.

No TVs now tend to come with decent sound, but if you don't mind going for an older 2016 model you may still be able to pick up the Panasonic 50DX802 that comes with its own sound bar. Its picture quality will be similar to the new EX750 Panasonic and the sound bar included will be a lot better than built in sound, although perhaps still not as good as a designated one.

We have another forum with sound bar recommendations and some reviews on soundbars too:

Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases
    Soundbar Reviews | AVForums

3. hifimicky

hifimicky
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dodgexander, I forgot to mention that I plan on upgrading my sky box to the 2tb q box to watch 4K programmes.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    Not sure if your decision was made for reasons other than 4k but I wouldn't bother upgrading to 4k Sky on a 50" TV, it's far too small to notice a difference. I certainly wouldn't pay Sky any more money for UHD programming.

[​IMG]

Not that it changes your selections mind. Sky doesn't use HDR so you don't need a capable HDR TV if that's primarily what you will be using.

5. BobTheViewer

BobTheViewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    What set are you using now?
    I just moved from an old Plasma(wide bezels) to a new set(thin bezels) and 50" would have been about the same size as the old set, the 55" feels much more imersive.

If you could go up to 55" there are better value sets.

If you have the space wall mounted it won't feel imposing and you can potentially free up space as a smaller unit will be needed for just the sky box.

The DX802 mentioned seems to be with John Lewis they have both the 50"(1 left) at £799 & 55"(196 left) at £899 the 55" was also £799 till about a week ago.
    (The stand was the marmite for these sets, most get round this with a generic stand or wall mount a neat solution with the sound bar)

Going up to 55" would also allow you to go with the Samsung 55MU7000 probably the most recommended set from 2017 at this price point.
    Both John Lewis and Richer sounds the two most recommended retailers with the best warranties, have these in stock, going for around £650-£699 depending on the discount offer/price match at the time.