Question Which 4K projector will or will not fulfil my needs?

He has a bigger budget than the average person, bear in mind he was budgeting up to £3k for his first projector, and has now bought two in the past week or so.
He was previously considering the top of the range Arcam amps but had some difficulty in connecting them up so I believe they were returned.
Does the projector have 2 HDMI ins? Then one could be run direct to Sky for picture and the other other to the amp for sound.

Off my head I think the Sky has two HDMIs but only one is an output, it does have an Optical out too though.

He might have had a budget of £3K but spent less than half that so he is price conscious which is why I wasn’t going to suggest a £1K AVR which less than half that gets him everything he needs or even less if he sets his limit on surround speaker numbers and whether the Projector was your sole monitor source.

Ideally he needs a new AVR whether a previous gen model or current, if he still has a TV in the room then the small price difference to get dual HDMI outputs would be worth it as you get other benefits.

I must admit that for most people not fully into this hobby the back of a modern AVR is confusing and kind of scaring, my brother is computer savvy but hasn’t a clue about AV gear. I just think he needs a diagram to show him how to connect it all together and everything will be fine though that 12yr old Pioneer Amp has to go.

Last edited:
Off my head I think the Sky has two HDMIs but only one is an output, it does have an Optical out too though.

He might have had a budget of £3K but spent less than half that so he is price conscious which is why I wasn’t going to suggest a £1K AVR which less than half that gets him everything he needs or even less if he sets his limit on surround speaker numbers and whether the Projector was your sole monitor source.

Ideally he needs a new AVR whether a previous gen model or current, if he still has a TV in the room then the small price difference to get dual HDMI outputs would be worth it as you get other benefits.

I must admit that for most people not fully into this hobby the back of a modern AVR is confusing and kind of scaring, my brother is computer savvy but hasn’t a clue about AV gear. I just think he needs a diagram to show him how to connect it all together and everything will be fine though that 12yr old Pioneer Amp has to go.
Hi, I have Sky sound on my amp via HDMI but no connections to my projector so no picture? Thanks

Hi, I have Sky sound on my amp via HDMI but no connections to my projector so no picture? Thanks

So how is your Projector connected to your Amp?

It’s not.

Get yourself a new AV Receiver, and the HDMI cables I suggested.

593B50CC-3CDA-42F1-AA98-2EB0C5E386EF.jpeg

29F8F145-7D77-4B09-A467-19EA4195BAC9.jpeg
411A1086-656F-4375-B499-54D9A1CD56D4.jpeg

Depending on where your AVR will sit in relation to your BR player and Sky box order the appropriate length of the Amazon Basic cables one for each the Sky and BR player, that amp will allow you to connect your TV too so order a cable for it as well.

If your projector is to be mounted on the ceiling then chances are you will need a cable at least 7m long so order the optical one in the next size up, that might be 10m.

Can I still connect a 4K Blu-ray player and get picture and sound? Thanks

I unplugged the Panasonic ub400 and tried it with my Cambridge Audio 4K Blu-ray player and it worked!

Glad you are sorted, that Pioneer AVR is at a seriously good price if you are considering moving up to a 4K amp with Atmos capabilities.

Also if you ever want opinions on other equipment you might be considering, be that speakers, subs etc don't hesitate to ask. ;)

Glad you are sorted, that Pioneer AVR is at a seriously good price if you are considering moving up to a 4K amp with Atmos capabilities.

Also if you ever want opinions on other equipment you might be considering, be that speakers, subs etc don't hesitate to ask. ;)
Thanks mate - very kind of you. Cheers again.

Native 4k is more steady/less noisy than the 4k shifted. Also contrast is to be considered (forget dynamic contrast look for the static). I find the JVC/Sony 4k tech better overall than the shifted 4k. And if you go for the laser versions you might want to spend the difference to buy a brand new car and drive the projector home keeping the car:). My advice is go and have an audition to see for yourself. One last thing - lens memory is a good thing if you want cinescope screen size.

@Flecky81 did you end up doing anything about changing your Amp?

Just spied a deal on a Denon AVR-2600H complete with speakers which is at a cracking price. Drop me a PM if interested.

One thing to consider with the pioneers is the weird way they insist on a global crossover, so you have to set all speakers at the same crossover point. This may be an issue for atmos speakers / small satellites used for surround etc. The Denon won’t have that issue.

Cheers

@Flecky81 did you end up doing anything about changing your Amp?

Just spied a deal on a Denon AVR-2600H complete with speakers which is at a cracking price. Drop me a PM if interested.
No I didn’t need to in the end mate. I have just bought the Sony 270es 4K native Projector, getting it next week. Any idea on 3D glasses?

No I didn’t need to in the end mate. I have just bought the Sony 270es 4K native Projector, getting it next week. Any idea on 3D glasses?

Didn't you buy the BenQ? Confused.:confused:

Didn't you buy the BenQ? Confused.:confused:
Yes he bought the BenQ after returning the Epson projector he bought first.
He seemed to be happy with the BenQ, but he now wants to try the Sony.
He is projecting onto a wall rather than a screen, and doesn’t plan to buy a screen for now, although some people have advised him otherwise on another forum.

Last edited:
Yes he bought the BenQ after returning the Epson projector he bought first.
He seemed to be happy with the BenQ, but he now wants to try the Sony.
He is projecting onto a wall rather than a screen, and doesn’t plan to buy a screen for now, although some people have advised him otherwise on another forum.

Just a serial tester then? :confused:

Just a serial tester then? :confused:
No, the Epson was faulty and returned to Argos. Now I bought the BenQ2700 but decided I want native 4K and was recommended to buy the Sony in the first place by the shop. So I am exchanging the BenQ2700 for the Sony as part of the deal.

No, the Epson was faulty and returned to Argos. Now I bought the BenQ2700 but decided I want native 4K and was recommended to buy the Sony in the first place by the shop. So I am exchanging the BenQ2700 for the Sony as part of the deal.
I see. Cool.
Yes the Sony beats those two hands down but you need to also take some steps to optimise your room as much as you can to get the best out of it.
Buying an appropriate screen is one of the best things you can do for picture quality.

I see. Cool.
Yes the Sony beats those two hands down but you need to also take some steps to optimise your room as much as you can to get the best out of it.
Buying an appropriate screen is one of the best things you can do for picture quality.
I am going to buy a screen in the future when I can demo again, just not at the moment. Thanks

First off, (sorry if you have already said) what is your throw distance and screen size going to be?
If you have a screen over about 110" diagonal then you will need to get the projector nearer min throw to get adequate brightness, unless you go positive gain and that introduces its own set of issues.
If you are under 110" you can afford to go a little further back and use less zoom.
Each way has pluses and minuses.
Others may have more specific advice. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom