Question Which 4K projector will or will not fulfil my needs?

Agree, but considering all the hours we like to spend in the home cinema with a good projector, (and spending time write about it and posting pictures etc.) I guess going for the High End 4K JVC can be a good chose too.

I have the money sitting, always had for like ever but I just can’t commit because I am truly happy enough with with I see at the moment. If I wasn’t happy then I’d jump but I truly am.

So when the world is going crazy in a pandemic mode when people losses their loved ones, their life, jobs etc. think waiting a little longer for a vacation, a anniversary trip and a Queen concert is not all that bad?

This comment was a little tongue in cheek to be honest with you.

Anyhow I do know all about people losing loved ones, I lost my aunt just under 4 weeks ago and the funeral was something I wouldn’t want to repeat or wish on anyone as 10 of us were all that was allowed, even her son had to stay away from the funeral as 2 days prior to testing positive she stayed at his house and died 6 days later in hospital. Plus the wife is about to take my son for the testing centre In Belfast as we think he has it as his temperature is sky high, so we are all currently at home self isolating until the results.

But you are alive and healthy right. :smashin: I know which I would prioritise. :)

If you have followed the coronavirus threads you will know my business and that the government demanded businesses like ours stay open and that is what we did, helping the vulnerable and those self isolating and meeting needs of everyone, this we met head on with zero help, advice or what we were letting ourselves into and right through all of this my staff and my family have been on the front line, me personally I have been working 6 and 7 day weeks due to staff shortages.

It’s easy to jump on someone for that tongue in cheek remark without knowing their background, I have lost a love one, in fact I have lost three others I know and class as friends, this is an awful virus that takes no prisoners and I truly feel for those in the kind of businesses that don’t know if they have a job at the end of all of this and those stuck at home for weeks on end but I can assure you for those of us keeping the country going this hasn’t been a picnic either. ;)

My cinema room is my escape at the moment from the stress we have had dealing with the demands of trying to run a business with the welfare of 60 staff constantly in your thoughts and your main supply chain that at times were at 35% capacity leaving you to chase supply from just about everywhere and from anyone.

Last edited:
If you have followed the coronavirus threads you will know my business and that the government demanded businesses like ours stay open and that is what we did, helping the vulnerable and those self isolating and meeting needs of everyone, this we met head on with zero help, advice or what we were letting ourselves into and right through all of this my staff and my family have been on the front line, me personally I have been working 6 and 7 day weeks due to staff shortages.

It’s easy to jump on someone for that tongue in cheek remark without knowing their background, I have lost a love one, in fact I have lost three others I know and class as friends, this is an awful virus that takes no prisoners and I truly feel for those in the kind of businesses that don’t know if they have a job at the end of all of this and those stuck at home for weeks on end but I can assure you for those of us keeping the country going this hasn’t been a picnic either. ;)

My cinema room is my escape at the moment from the stress we have had dealing with the demands of trying to run a business with the welfare of 60 staff constantly in your thoughts and your main supply chain that at times were at 35% capacity leaving you to chase supply from just about everywhere and from anyone.

I hope you weren't inferring I was jumping on your remark my friend, because I wasn't. :)
All I know is that you can't help anyone else if you don't first keep yourself healthy.
I feel for you and have utmost admiration for those keeping things ticking over, it cannot be easy.
Holidays will come again and they will be all the better for the hiatus I feel.
I always judge my holidays not by cost or location so much as who I am sharing the time with and the memories. gained from the time together.
If recent times have taught us anything, it is that anyone in our lives can leave this world at any moment for any reason and if you cherish those people, make the most of your time together whenever you can. :love::thumbsup:
We honour them with our future actions.

Sorry mate, was just venting.... concerned about the son and stressed as always. lol

Need to get up to that cinema room and watch something that’s all.

I suggest to go for
  • JVC NX5 (if you can afford)
  • Epson TW9400 (mid budget)
  • Optoma UHD50X (if gaming is important & budget is limited)
  • Benq W2700 (if gaming is not important - response is way too laggy - & budget is limited)
Just bought the BenQ W2700 projector - thanks for the recommendation.

Anyone know how to hook up sound from Sky to projector via 1080p Pioneer amp? And can’t get 4K Blu-Ray player sound too via amp? Thanks.

Anyone know how to hook up sound from Sky to projector via 1080p Pioneer amp? And can’t get 4K Blu-Ray player sound too via amp? Thanks.

Which model of Pioneer is the amp?

The Pioneer sc-lx81 amp. Thanks.

Just wanted to check and see how many HDMI inputs it had, seems plenty. OK you want to be connecting the SKY box and your Bluray player by HDMI cable, on your Amp the HDMI connections will be labelled one DVD/Bluray and there will be another SAT, connect each into the appropriate one and then obviously the HDMI output from the Amp to your projector.

Just wanted to check and see how many HDMI inputs it had, seems plenty. OK you want to be connecting the SKY box and your Bluray player by HDMI cable, on your Amp the HDMI connections will be labelled one DVD/Bluray and there will be another SAT, connect each into the appropriate one and then obviously the HDMI output from the Amp to your projector.
Hi, thanks for the reply I can’t see SAT on the Pioneer? And the HDMI output doesn’t work on a 4K Blu-ray player only 1080p Blu-ray player for sound. It’s a optical cable that says SAT. That’s already plugged in though.

Ok any HDMI input will do for the SKY. So you are getting picture with your 4K Bluray player but no sound. What’s the player is it.

Panasonic ub400 4K Blu-ray player. Thanks.

Sounds to me like you have connected your UB400 directly to your projector instead of connecting it to your Amp or haven’t setup the audio/visual HDMI.

The UB400 has two HDMI connections and one carries the audio signal only whilst the other has both audio and visual, it’s the Audio/Visual that you need to connect to the Amp and then go into its menu and configure so this one is outputting audio as well.

My Sky HD Box only has one HDMI though.

I take it you are using take for your TV still?

What you need to do is remove the HDMI you have connect to the TV and connect it into the Amp then on your Amp you will have two HDMI outputs, one you take to your projector and the other goes to your TV.

Sounds to me like you have connected your UB400 directly to your projector instead of connecting it to your Amp or haven’t setup the audio/visual HDMI.

The UB400 has two HDMI connections and one carries the audio signal only whilst the other has both audio and visual, it’s the Audio/Visual that you need to connect to the Amp and then go into its menu and configure so this one is outputting audio as well.

I take it you are using take for your TV still?

What you need to do is remove the HDMI you have connect to the TV and connect it into the Amp then on your Amp you will have two HDMI outputs, one you take to your projector and the other goes to your TV.
Hi, can’t seem to get anything to work. Thanks for your help anyway. Cheers.

Hi, can’t seem to get anything to work. Thanks for your help anyway. Cheers.

Can’t understand why you are having an issue. Have you had the Amp for a while or is it new to you?

The Amp should be the connection between your Sky box and Bluray Players and both your TV and projector.

By this I mean Sky and BR players only connect to HDMI inputs on your Amp and your TV and Projector only connect to the HDMI outputs on your Amp. Sky or BR players shouldn’t connect to either TV or Projector directly.

When this is done you control what is doing what by the Amp and you can only watch TV or Projector when Amp is on and on the right one.

Maybe asking someone who has your Amp if they could FaceTime you would be the answer because trying to explain in the right words isn’t easy.

Can’t understand why you are having an issue. Have you had the Amp for a while or is it new to you?

The Amp should be the connection between your Sky box and Bluray Players and both your TV and projector.

By this I mean Sky and BR players only connect to HDMI inputs on your Amp and your TV and Projector only connect to the HDMI outputs on your Amp. Sky or BR players shouldn’t connect to either TV or Projector directly.

When this is done you control what is doing what by the Amp and you can only watch TV or Projector when Amp is on and on the right one.

Maybe asking someone who has your Amp if they could FaceTime you would be the answer because trying to explain in the right words isn’t easy.
I currently have them connected by optical not HDMI, could that be the problem? The amp is 12 years old and I have owned it from new.

I currently have them connected by optical not HDMI, could that be the problem? The amp is 12 years old and I have owned it from new.

I haven’t connected anything optically in about 8 years so couldn’t answer if that’s your problem or not.

I’m right in thinking you are still using your TV in the same room and the projector is occasional viewing?

The reason I ask is that to connect everything up through the Amp you will need one with 2 HDMI outputs and this is usually the model up from the basic ones. Changing your amp with get you 4K and why buy a 4K projector, 4K Bluray player and not be able to watch 4K.

Here’s a list of good 4K AVReceivers with dual outputs

Denon AVR-x2600H
Sony STR-DN1080
Yamaha RXA685

There may be other brands offering this but you could probably get one of last years model for a bit of discount so worthwhile ringing round.

Last edited:
I haven’t connected anything optically in about 8 years so couldn’t answer if that’s your problem or not.

I’m right in thinking you are still using your TV in the same room and the projector is occasional viewing?
Correct but want to start using the projector all the time though.

I also think the problem is that my amp isn’t 4K. Perhaps I need a new amp?

Correct but want to start using the projector all the time though.

If that’s the case then a single HDMI amp would do and you could pick up a 5.1channel AVR for less than £170-180. You would be best getting new HDMI cables as well, Amazon Basic are brilliant for short lengths up to 3m and great value, if the projector cable has to be 7m or more save yourself time and money and get an Optical HDMI cable again from Amazon, I’m using the cheapest one available and it’s worked without fault for 17 months now.

Sky box needs 1 HDMI cable to the AVR
Bluray Player needs 1 HDMI cable to the AVR
Projector needs 1 Optical HDMI cable to the AVR (these are directional saying source (AVR) and Monitor (Projector) don’t put it the wrong way is it won’t work.

If that’s the case then a single HDMI amp would do and you could pick up a 5.1channel AVR for less than £170-180. You would be best getting new HDMI cables as well, Amazon Basic are brilliant for short lengths up to 3m and great value, if the projector cable has to be 7m or more save yourself time and money and get an Optical HDMI cable again from Amazon, I’m using the cheapest one available and it’s worked without fault for 17 months now.

Sky box needs 1 HDMI cable to the AVR
Bluray Player needs 1 HDMI cable to the AVR
Projector needs 1 Optical HDMI cable to the AVR (these are directional saying source (AVR) and Monitor (Projector) don’t put it the wrong way is it won’t work.
Why do I only need a amp for £170? I was thinking of at least £1000? Thanks for all your help mate, you are a great poster. Thanks

Why do I only need a amp for £170? I was thinking of at least £1000? Thanks for all your help mate, you are a great poster. Thanks

It’s all relative, you don’t need to spend more than you need but if you want to futureproof yourself then spending a bit more would be wise.

I’m using a Sony STR-DN1080 which is around the £400 mark, this gets you dual HDMI outputs and 7.1 speaker channels so you have the ability at a later date to increase your surround speakers from 5 channels up to 7 channels if you want or maybe you would prefer to keep the 5 channels and add a couple of Atmos speakers. The Denon 2600 will do the same thing but if you don’t need all this or don’t see yourself changing your speakers then why spend more than you need.

I would also say that you can usually get some superb bargains on the previous year’s receivers. At the moment none really cater for HDMI 2.1 (and if your display does then you can just use eARC) but even models 2/3 years old will do HDR, DV, HLG etc so you can probably get a receiver that was £1000 2 or 3 years ago for £400, open box with a full guarantee etc.

It’s all relative, you don’t need to spend more than you need but if you want to futureproof yourself then spending a bit more would be wise.

I’m using a Sony STR-DN1080 which is around the £400 mark, this gets you dual HDMI outputs and 7.1 speaker channels so you have the ability at a later date to increase your surround speakers from 5 channels up to 7 channels if you want or maybe you would prefer to keep the 5 channels and add a couple of Atmos speakers. The Denon 2600 will do the same thing but if you don’t need all this or don’t see yourself changing your speakers then why spend more than you need.
He has a bigger budget than the average person, bear in mind he was budgeting up to £3k for his first projector, and has now bought two in the past week or so.
He was previously considering the top of the range Arcam amps but had some difficulty in connecting them up so I believe they were returned.
Does the projector have 2 HDMI ins? Then one could be run direct to Sky for picture and the other other to the amp for sound.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom