Dave30A

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i've been looking around for a decent 4K TV to replace my current Samsung HD TV. The problem i've got is that i don't understand a lot of the language used (Nano Cell, OLED, 60Hz etc) these are the main things i'm looking for:

• Something that can take advantage of my PS4 Pro (and possibly Xbox One X if i buy in future)
  • Apple TV 4K - I'm looking to upgrade from my current 3rd gen Apple TV
  • Able to play the HDR content from my iTunes library (recently updated by Apple)
The TV would be for my bedroom and wall mounted so i'm looking for a TV around the 49-50" size. I have been online and saw the LG 49SJ800V (it's currently at £699 on Ao.com, i've also seen the SJ850V, altho i'm not sure what the difference is.

EDIT: Would OLED be a big advantage? does OLED help gaming and HDR I'm really not sure, The only HDR content i've seen is on my current 2017 iPad Pro which made DeadPool look really good to be fair :D

I'd also like a TV that can play both HDR and Dolby Vision, my iTunes Library has both formats (Apple updated my library of HD movies earlier this year for free). I do know that Samsung make great TV's (i currently have a nice HD Samsung TV that I've been using for around 5 years now).

Any advice/help would be great :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone, i've been looking around for a decent 4K TV to replace my current Samsung HD TV. The problem i've got is that i don't understand a lot of the language used (Nano Cell, OLED, 60Hz etc) these are the main things i'm looking for:

• Something that can take advantage of my PS4 Pro (and possibly Xbox One X if i buy in future)
  • Able to play the HDR content from my iTunes library (recently updated by Apple)
The TV would be for my bedroom and wall mounted so i'm looking for a TV around the 49-50" size. I have been online and saw the LG 49SJ800V (it's currently at £699 on Ao.com, i've also seen the SJ850V, altho i'm not sure what the difference is.

EDIT: Would OLED be a big advantage? does OLED help gaming and HDR I'm really not sure, The only HDR content i've seen is on my current 2017 iPad Pro which made DeadPool look really good to be fair :D

I'd also like a TV that can play both HDR and Dolby Vision, my iTunes Library has both formats (Apple updated my library of HD movies earlier this year for free). I do know that Samsung make great TV's (i currently have a nice HD Samsung TV that I've been using for around 5 years now).

If you want good HDR (and with a PS4 Pro and Apple TV 4K you will) then the cheapest option is the Sony XE90. It is available in 49" for £1200. It doesn't have Dolby Vision though. Anything cheaper than the XE90 will have such poor HDR performance that SDR will look better on it. Don't be fooled by manufacturers claiming HDR support on cheaper models, they are not capable HDR TVs. LG LCDs are a particularly poor choice due to their use of an IPS panel. There is no capable HDR TV at 49" with DV, you need to upgrade to 55" for that. OLED is the best but it is only available in 55" sizes and up.

If you want good HDR (and with a PS4 Pro and Apple TV 4K you will) then the cheapest option is the Sony XE90. It is available in 49" for £1200. It doesn't have Dolby Vision though. Anything cheaper than the XE90 will have such poor HDR performance that SDR will look better on it. Don't be fooled by manufacturers claiming HDR support on cheaper models, they are not capable HDR TVs. LG LCDs are a particularly poor choice due to their use of an IPS panel. There is no capable HDR TV at 49" with DV, you need to upgrade to 55" for that. OLED is the best but it is only available in 55" sizes and up.

Thank you for the advice, would the Samsung KS8000 be any good? i like Samsung TV's as we have one downstairs in the living room and i currently have a HD Samsung TV in my bedroom, it has served me well over the last 4-5 years. Also with OLED doesn't it have burn in issues? if you do recommend OLED would they all be great for HDR (Apple 4K TV) and my PS4 Pro games?

Someone i spoke to at work mentioned about getting a LG TV because they support both HDR and Dolby Vision which is why i was looking at those.

If not the Samsung KS8000 which other Samsung one would be good?

Last edited:
Has Apple fixed the issue with the latest Apple TV and HDR TVs yet? When it launched it used to output SDR content in HDR mode, which would cause issues.

Someone i spoke to at work mentioned about getting a LG TV because they support both HDR and Dolby Vision which is why i was looking at those.

Support of lots of formats isn't of much benefit if the ability to display them is behind the competition though.

Last year's KS-series is a good choice among 49" models, the XE90 and Q7 would be the other main candidates for HDR ability if you'd rather not go up to 55".

Last edited:
If you can afford it, no doubt OLED. LG LCDs are poor options unless you need wide viewing angles, they may support Dolby Vision but they needn't since their HDR performance is bordering on non existent.

For the OLEDs its very different. Burn in won't be an issue if you are responsible and don't spend hours and hours throughout the week with the same logo or picture on the screen. 8h gaming sessions 5 days a week with a HUD in the corner might do it but realistically for most people it isn't an issue. You may get some temporary image retention but it clears itself.

Its certainly no worse than Plasma TVs.

KS8000 is a good alternative to the Sony XE9005 but if the Sony isn't far of its price I would get that instead.

Also, don't buy now if you can help it, prices will be getting lower come black friday.

If you can afford it, no doubt OLED. LG LCDs are poor options unless you need wide viewing angles, they may support Dolby Vision but they needn't since their HDR performance is bordering on non existent.

For the OLEDs its very different. Burn in won't be an issue if you are responsible and don't spend hours and hours throughout the week with the same logo or picture on the screen. 8h gaming sessions 5 days a week with a HUD in the corner might do it but realistically for most people it isn't an issue. You may get some temporary image retention but it clears itself.

Its certainly no worse than Plasma TVs.

KS8000 is a good alternative to the Sony XE9005 but if the Sony isn't far of its price I would get that instead.

Also, don't buy now if you can help it, prices will be getting lower come black friday.

Thank you for the advice, I will wait until Black Friday and see if there are any OLED deals, will any OLED 4K TV do the job or is a particular brand a better option?

I don’t game for 8 hours, the most I would game for would be about 2-3 hours tops, because of work I don’t get chance to have long gaming sessions.

Thank you for the advice, I will wait until Black Friday and see if there are any OLED deals, will any OLED 4K TV do the job or is a particular brand a better option?

I don’t game for 8 hours, the most I would game for would be about 2-3 hours tops, because of work I don’t get chance to have long gaming sessions.

All OLED TVs use the same panel therefore are all very similar. The cheapest is the LG B7 and C7 and you'll be fine with one of those. Above those LG have the E7 with better audio and an expensive design. Panasonic have the EZ952 but that lacks Dolby Vision. Then there is the Sony A1 with better motion handling and better handling of colour banding thanks to the smooth gradation feature. It also has better audio thanks to Sony's acoustic surface technology. It's got DV like the LGs. The A1 is probably the best TV on the market but unfortunately it isn't cheap and tough to justify when all OLEDs are ultimately very similar.

LG OLEDs, B7 and C7.

No doubt about it the best value. They are already cheaper than last years OLEDs at this time of year, lets hope we see them below £1500 come black friday!

The way i see it is that it's going to be an investment for the next 5 years or more so i might as well invest in a decent TV that can do what i need (ie HDR and PS4 Pro and Xbox One X gaming), the only thing that has put me off OLED in the past is burn in issues.

The only issue i have is it's for a bedroom wall so i don't need it to be too big. I shall wait and see what happens at Black Friday, Amazon usually have some good deals on, not sure about Curry's as well. If i see a OLED 4K HDR TV for a decent price (i don't want to spend more than £20000) i will get one.

The way i see it is that it's going to be an investment for the next 5 years or more so i might as well invest in a decent TV that can do what i need (ie HDR and PS4 Pro and Xbox One X gaming), the only thing that has put me off OLED in the past is burn in issues.

The only issue i have is it's for a bedroom wall so i don't need it to be too big. I shall wait and see what happens at Black Friday, Amazon usually have some good deals on, not sure about Curry's as well. If i see a OLED 4K HDR TV for a decent price (i don't want to spend more than £20000) i will get one.
With your usage I wouldn't worry about image retention, as long as you don't do anything silly like game or leave a news channel on all day then you'll be fine. If you want the best HDR experience, OLED is definitely the way to go. For £2k you can already afford a 55" LG B/C7 or Panasonic EZ952. Almost every retailer will have black friday deals, Currys always do. I probably wouldn't buy a TV from Amazon though.

With your usage I wouldn't worry about image retention, as long as you don't do anything silly like game or leave a news channel on all day then you'll be fine. If you want the best HDR experience, OLED is definitely the way to go. For £2k you can already afford a 55" LG B/C7 or Panasonic EZ952. Almost every retailer will have black friday deals, Currys always do. I probably wouldn't buy a TV from Amazon though.

I don't leave my TV's on all day or night, the most i do is turn them off but not at the wall. Gaming like i say would be a few hours max and that's when i'm not working, watching movies would be around the same with content from the Apple TV 4K box. The reason i'm thinking about OLED is like i said in my previous post i'd rather invest in a TV for the next 5 years or more instead of buying cheap and then upgrade in a couple of years.

We live in an era now when 55" TVs are considered small by manufacturers. They don't even offer high end TVs below that size anymore.

With UHD viewing distances, believe me you need the size. You are already looking at viewing so close, uncomfortably close for many to appreciate the extra detail.

Since you seem like you will be using HDR not there is nothing wrong with spending a bit now. If you weren't going to use HDR much I would say perhaps its not the best idea.

You should also contemplate purchasing some nice HDR UHD Blu-Rays also, to showcase the TV ;)

We live in an era now when 55" TVs are considered small by manufacturers. They don't even offer high end TVs below that size anymore.

With UHD viewing distances, believe me you need the size. You are already looking at viewing so close, uncomfortably close for many to appreciate the extra detail.

Since you seem like you will be using HDR not there is nothing wrong with spending a bit now. If you weren't going to use HDR much I would say perhaps its not the best idea.

You should also contemplate purchasing some nice HDR UHD Blu-Rays also, to showcase the TV ;)

Times have certainly changed, i remember when people said that small TV's were for bedrooms and you shouldn't sit too close to a TV. HDR i will mainly use for gaming on the PS4 Pro and when watching content on the 4K Apple TV box.

I will look at getting some decent HDR Blu-Rays, i will of course need to get a UHB Blu Ray player as well. I'm not sure if the Netflix 4K/HDR subscription would help get the most out of the TV along with my PS4 Pro gaming and Apple TV 4K box.

I’ve just noticed that Curry’s have started a new deal, the Samsung UE55MU7070 along with a 4K Blu Ray player for £949. I don’t know anything about that TV I just noticed that new deal on their website here in the U.K

I’ve just noticed that Curry’s have started a new deal, the Samsung UE55MU7070 along with a 4K Blu Ray player for £949. I don’t know anything about that TV I just noticed that new deal on their website here in the U.K

The MU7000 is not a capable HDR TV, a UHD Blu-ray player is more or less useless with a TV like that to be honest. A solid SDR TV but I wouldn't go near HDR on it.

The MU7000 is not a capable HDR TV, a UHD Blu-ray player is more or less useless with a TV like that to be honest. A solid SDR TV but I wouldn't go near HDR on it.

Ok i will stick with shopping for an OLED model, i have seen that Samsung are doing something called QLED is that the same as OLED? i don't know why they don't all just stick to using the same terminology it would be a lot easier for people (such as myself) who don't know a lot about TV's.

You need to break down the different models in to different performance categories @Dave30A then you will have a better idea when narrowing down which model is best for you.

There is little point looking at TVs which don't have any hardware to reproduce HDR when you are going to be using HDR. Maybe have a look at the guides in my signature? There is a link there for the best HDR TVs which should tell you which models are suited.

But in 90% of cases if you can afford an OLED, most people are going to find it to be the best option.

If it is in your budget go for an LG B7 or C7 OLED.
It will do all you want and give you fantastic picture quality. OLED TVs give great contrast as each pixel can be shut off independent of the others unlike a LED TV. This means the OLED can achieve perfect blacks right next to bright highlights. Something even the best LEDs cannot achieve.
OLEDs do not go as bright as LEDs but they do compensate for this by having superior and true blacks. HDR material looks stunning on an OLED and I think is superior to a LED due to the inky blacks you get.
LG OLEDs have a very small input lag and again the good contrast makes games look good.

All the 7 series LG OLEDs give the same picture quality with the only differences being in styling and the audio components so the B or C models are a good buy as they are the cheapest in the range.

In all the recent shoot outs of TVs OLEDs have always come out on top with LG doing very well in all. I would choose an LG again because the pricing is far better than the Sony , Panasonic or Phillips. Some of these other OLEDs may do some things better than the LG but then again the LG does some things better than the others. I feel the LG is the best value and I prefer it's picture to the Sony. I like the Panasonic but it will never have Dolby Vision.

Good luck.

Ok i will stick with shopping for an OLED model, i have seen that Samsung are doing something called QLED is that the same as OLED? i don't know why they don't all just stick to using the same terminology it would be a lot easier for people (such as myself) who don't know a lot about TV's.

QLED is a marketing term. QLEDs are just standard LCD TVs that use quantum dots to enhance colour gamut and peak brightness. Samsung and other brands have used QD technology in previous years, they just used it as an excuse to come up with a new name for their TV lineup this year. OLED is a completely different technology to LCD and therefore QLED as well. If you can afford OLED then that is what you should buy, even if you were looking at LCD there are much better options than the Samsungs this year. They are overpriced and underdeliver.

For you I can't see a reason not to buy an LG B7 or C7. They will be spectacular with SDR and HDR games and movies and feature Dolby Vision and low input lag.

QLED is a marketing term. QLEDs are just standard LCD TVs that use quantum dots to enhance colour gamut and peak brightness. Samsung and other brands have used QD technology in previous years, they just used it as an excuse to come up with a new name for their TV lineup this year. OLED is a completely different technology to LCD and therefore QLED as well. If you can afford OLED then that is what you should buy, even if you were looking at LCD there are much better options than the Samsungs this year. They are overpriced and underdeliver.

For you I can't see a reason not to buy an LG B7 or C7. They will be spectacular with SDR and HDR games and movies and feature Dolby Vision and low input lag.

Ok thank you, i will look out for the LG B7 or C7 in the Black Friday deals, it seems silly to go out and buy now if i could pick one up in a few weeks for cheaper.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom