tails007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Currently building a 7.1.2 Atmos system.. might stretch to 7.2.2.

4k projector on a 120 inch screen.

Can anyone recommend a really good quality 4k blu ray which would really show off a great picture and Atmos track please?

I'm into sci-fi, marvel, star wars, action films of that helps narrow down the selection.

Thanks for the help!

Pacific Rim is probably the best for eye candy and has an awesome sound track.

Plus it is full screen if that bothers you.....as in no black bars.

Depends on what you are seeking to test - visuals and/or soundtrack. Blade Runner 2049 would be my first recommendation - although Oblivion is an excellent test too with colour tone and LFE bass impact.

Either would be ideal test discs in ultra 4k format.

Thanks all, some great recommendations so far!!

Blade Runner 2049 is a great shout, and there is some superb subwoofer-breaking bass at the start along with some great overhead sound as a vehicle flies over a farm and then lands in the first few minutes.

10 Cloverfield Lane has some nice Atmos effects and if you’d also like to try out your overhead speakers on a non-atmos disc to see just how great the Dolby surround and DTS:Neural upmixing is, try out the Terminator Salvation Blu-ray, a completely unfairly maligned sequel with an absolutely superb soundtrack.

Hope you enjoy your new setup!

If you like Star Wars, I would say the The Force Awakens is one of the better 4k UHD discs of the SW set. The picture is very filmic, better than the bluray and the Atmos track is really good, with some very distinct overhead effects.

Pacific Rim Uprising has some great overhead effects and subwoofer action as well.....not the best of films though !

Last edited:
Top Gun is pretty awesome

13 Hours, audio slightly edges the video for me but both are pretty much demo worthy imho.

I feel the need!

The need for a homoerotic romp with a closeted gay movie star flying his jet-propelled phallus into the face of anyone and anything.

;)

PS - I actually do love Top Gun and can't wait for the sequel.

The need for a homoerotic romp with a closeted gay movie star flying his jet-propelled phallus into the face of anyone and anything.

;)

PS - I actually do love Top Gun and can't wait for the sequel.
so you cannot wait for a double dose of a homoerotic romp with a closeted gay movie star flying his jet-propelled phallus into the face of anyone and anything. :)

13 Hours, audio slightly edges the video for me but both are pretty much demo worthy imho.

Spot on 👍👍 black hawk down as well

I'd also add A Quiet Place, that has really good use of sound and spacial effects, Gravity (the Diamond Deluxe version with Atmos), Hacksaw Ridge and Max Max Fury Road.

Murder On The Orient Express is the best looking film I've seen, the fine detail in the foreground and background is amazing, the colours sumptuous, very good use of HDR with inky blacks, and the really fine film grain adds to the look of the film. It was filmed with the very best film cameras and lenses available, the best film stock, scanned at 8K and is native 4K with minimal CGI, and also has a really good Atmos soundtrack with some immersive use of overhead effects. Its a shame the film itself isn't that great even though it has an all-star ensemble cast, but its one of the best demo movies of 4K I've seen together with Ready Player One, the cinematography is sumptuous from start to finish.

My go to titles for ATMOS are:

Deep Water Horizon - use of heights is just fantastic with the Helicopters and explosions

Aquaman - PQ and AQ is extremely good

All the Transformer movies - the sound engineers really made an effort with these

Star Wars Force Awaken is just epic, you can hear the snow flakes falling (I know) and branch rustles in the end scenes to name just one standout moment.

Ready Player One - as already stated

Mad Max Fury Road - as already stated

Man of steel

Blade Runner (both films)

There are probably others in my collection but not tried every film since I installed ATMOS.

Zero Dark Thirty has awesome audio

Dredd soundtrack is a belter.

Whack on the opening 10 minutes of " Overlord" it's a beast!

Watched a Perfect Planet and the Atmos is great in this. Really immersive use of all speakers and great base.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom