Which 49"? Sony 9005 or Samsung MU7000

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by NickAJ, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NickAJ

NickAJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Torn between the two.

The Sony XE9005 is now £999 at John Lewis

The Samsung MU7000 £799 at Richer Sounds.

Is the Sony worth the extra £200? Looking for a good all round TV to be used in a well lit room, SkyQ, Movies, some sport. Don't change the TV very often so need a degree of futureproofing.

Or am I completely over specifying?

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    With no mention of HDR I would get the MU7000. In fact I would go even cheaper than that if I wasn't one to use motion enhancements in the TVs menu.

3. PJS76

PJS76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So Nick, what did you buy?

4. askara

askara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Dam, i was going to get the 9005 but its £1200 for 55inch whereas the MY7000 is £750 now, with such price different i am in a dilemma of which one i should get

5. PJS76

PJS76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Haha, it is a thought decision. Value for money but also the best you can afford. At that price why not get the LG B7 Oled?

6. askara

askara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Because Oled is not mature yet, with image retention,burn-in, banding, Wrgb instead of rgb pixel, lower brightness meaning lower HDR performance, stuttering etc. The fact that manufacturer not providing burn in warranty is testament to the problem imo

i mean yeah, you can say they chances of happen is very low and wont happen unless you abuse it for leaving it for hours. but do i want to worry abut burn-in every time i watch tv or gaming longer than few hour or so? i mean whats the chance of burn-in in 5 years time? nop, i take LED TV worry free over that any time

7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    The MU7000 has lower brightness than the B7 and suffers from banding and stuttering. WRGB is also a non-issue for HDR since all TVs have omissions in their colour volume coverage of DCI-P3, let alone Rec. 2020

8. askara

askara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    you are comparing MU7000 to Oled TV which is double the price though, a similar priced LCD will be much brighter, without banding and stuttering or image retention. as for the wrgb, maybe you are right, i am not an expert, just heard the colour is not as good. i assume the faux 4K issue with wrgb only apply to low end LG lcd TV?

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    WRGB is the same pixel structure with OLEDs but because they don't follow the same trends sharing every 3rd white pixel its not as much of a big deal. Still may be noticeable up close with text though. Nothing to do with colour though.

In kinder words I think what people are trying to say is by going LCD you gain far more worse PQ traits than you do with OLED. There was a reason Plasma TVs were popular and many enthusiasts decided to buy those instead and Plasma TVs, unlike OLEDs didn't automatically clear any image retention.

It all just depends on viewing habits, if you have £1500 to spend at 55" and you don't want to have to worry about image retention then by all means get an LCD instead but you won't be getting as much value vs PQ...especially when £1500 OLEDs are beating flagship LCDs in tests and at £1500 and 55" you are looking at the mid-range Sony XE9305.

10. PJS76

PJS76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Oled over LCD then? There are a number of image mention and motion reports about Oled but they still seem to win best tv awards on review sites. Is there perhaps too much much critical analysis going on? Oled will have come on a lot from those of a couple of years ago where people are now reporting image retention. Plus if you buy from a good supplier with their 5 or 6 year guarantees you will get It repaired or replaced. Will an Oled last 10 years, as many LCD or plasma tv's have done, I guess that remains to be seen........

I am not an expert hence my questions and posts on the forums but perhaps people go a little over the top critical?

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I wouldn't have any more reservations about burying one than I would an LCD. You're assumptions are correct and I can tell you now if you search hard enough you'll find plenty of reasons not to buy any tv.

The demographics of consumers who review products and those especially who come post their problems here do so because they have a problem. As a result every year TV's that sell the most appear to be plagued with issues. In reality it's just you notice more of the minority.

If they didn't sell so well you'd see less issues. If everyone who didn't have a problem also posted a review or joined here because they just wanted to discuss how great their tv is you would notice the issues are in a minority.

As for lasting well LG themselves rate them at 100,000 hours which is about 30-40,000 more than LCDs so it's really nothing to worry about either.

Time will be the ultimate test but I'm confident there will never be a problem just like with plasma tv's.

12. PJS76

PJS76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Haha yes you are not wrong there. That is the issue with personal reviews,often only reporting the bad and not the good.

That is a lot if tv ! Perhaps those experiencing screen burn are gamers where there is more chance of the same image being on screen for a long time (assuming I understand screen burn correctly?)

Thanks for you advice. It is reassuring.

13. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Screen burn is caused by repeated usage patterns over time. Its no different to Plasma TVs. If you keep a static image on a potion of the screen for hours at a time each day for weeks then you'll get burn in.

But most people don't. I'd say if you plan on buying a TV for watching the same news channel or game on a regular basis (3+ hours) every day weeks then maybe you will have a problem if they have static images.

But that really isn't something to consider and its no different to Plasma TVs. Some people may have burn in now on Plasma's of a few years old but most people don't. Its only when you abuse the TV that you get image burn.

14. PJS76

PJS76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Dodge, little chance of that.