Which 46" 1080p LCD? Sony v Sharp v Samsung

M

mss21ad

I want a 46" 1080p LCD and have narrowed it down to the Sony W Series KDL46W2000, Sharp LC46XD1E or new Samsung M86 or M87 Series.

I am very brand loyal and have had only Sony TVs for 20 years, including two current 26" S Series LCDs in bedrooms which I'm happy with. 90% of my viewing is Freeview, so that's the most important factor for me. I'm sure they're all great with HD.

I like the Sony W 40" picture. But what happened to the 46"? I found a 46" X Series in a Sony Centre to be poor with Freeview, with loads of pixellation. And this is supposed to be their premier LCD with a better picture than the lower spec 46" W series. I wasn't impressed.

I've seen the 46" Sharp in John Lewis and the Freeview picture was great - easily better than the Sony. The styling is much more cutting edge too. The Sharp's 4ms response time is twice as good as Sony's, so motion will be much better. I know the Sharp lacks some connectivity (only 1 RGB SCART, and component only via an adapter) but it has everything I need.

The new Samsungs look interesting, but are so new I can't seem to find them on display anywhere.

So it looks like the Sharp for me, even though that's a brand I'd never have previously considered.

Any thoughts or comments welcomed!

P

paull999

As posted almost everywhere this Sharp range is mentioned it's a great set but only of you avoid the lemons; the QC department at Sharp should be lined up against a wall and shot.

In short there are buzzing and banding issues on the Sharp that seem pretty endemic. My LC46XD1E goes back tomorrow because of horrific banding over around a third of the screen.

That said, if you get a chance to preview the actual set and it's OK then it's unlikely to be a bad choice.

Vodder

Banned
I was going to go with the Sharp but I ended up going with the Sony 46S2350 which isn't 1080p. I looked at the Sharp and the Sony in JL and thought the picture on the sharp was much sharper but this was on HD ( I don't know if it was a 1080p source). The freeview pic was slightly better on the Sony.

What tipped it was:
  • the component problem ie lack of on the Sharp was a big issue as I am not upgrading my Denon A1 just because of the TV
  • My previous experience with Sony's
  • The freeview tuner and menu on the sont - I know I could buy an external box but its another thing in the room
  • All the banding /buzzing issues on the Sharp
  • The actual size of the Sharp, its about 3 cm deeper, doesn't sound a lot but that would look seriously fat hanging on my wall

2 of my mates plumped for the 40" W Sony, but I preferred the size over 1080p ability. I don't have any 1080p source and just couldn't justify giving a 1080p TV extra brownie points for that.

I considered the Samsung's as well but just preferred the Sony. You can read loads but like anything its down to personal preference. I love my sound setup for instance and the soundstage from the DVD player with CD's but my housemate thinks his portable ipod speakers sound the same! LMAO!!

Tim

Vodder

Banned
Forgot to mention, I haven't actually got the TV yet, its due to turn up tomorrow so hopefully it will be as good as I'm expecting. Prob with the ones in the shops is you never know what the settings are, let alone if they've all been setup the same (which I very much doubt)

bluevortex

I want a 46" 1080p LCD and have narrowed it down to the Sony W Series KDL46W2000, Sharp LC46XD1E or new Samsung M86 or M87 Series.

I am very brand loyal and have had only Sony TVs for 20 years, including two current 26" S Series LCDs in bedrooms which I'm happy with. 90% of my viewing is Freeview, so that's the most important factor for me. I'm sure they're all great with HD.

I like the Sony W 40" picture. But what happened to the 46"? I found a 46" X Series in a Sony Centre to be poor with Freeview, with loads of pixellation. And this is supposed to be their premier LCD with a better picture than the lower spec 46" W series. I wasn't impressed.

I've seen the 46" Sharp in John Lewis and the Freeview picture was great - easily better than the Sony. The styling is much more cutting edge too. The Sharp's 4ms response time is twice as good as Sony's, so motion will be much better. I know the Sharp lacks some connectivity (only 1 RGB SCART, and component only via an adapter) but it has everything I need.

The new Samsungs look interesting, but are so new I can't seem to find them on display anywhere.

So it looks like the Sharp for me, even though that's a brand I'd never have previously considered.

Any thoughts or comments welcomed!

I have the taken delivery of the Sony 46W2000. I should say it does have clouding issue but inspite of that it is truly an outstanding screen. I have PS3 over HDMI so blue ray is amazing. We watched open season on it last night and all i can say is WOW! These screens were designed to play pixar style animation, beautiful. My only gripe is a slight judder effect from the whole 1080p24 issue. If money hadn't been burning a hole in my pocket i may have waited for the new sony range 3xHDMI 1080p24 etc... The samsung looks nice aswell i dont think you would go wrong with either.

Blue

thehughes69

i too had this same problem and plumped for the samsung. the reviews on both on www.hdtreviews were fairly similar but the sam seemed to have slight higher specs like contrast etc, also it hsa pic in pic not a big issue but an option id like, ive now seen the 52" yes 52" :rotfl: and am thinking of gettin this now

the judder on ps3 im told is the ps3 not the tv and may be helped in future updates as it seems to happen on most lcds (or so i read)

Vodder

Banned
OK, I've had my Sony now for about 2 hours and all I can say is WOW! So glad I went with this over the Sharp. If my normal DVD version of spiderman 2 is meant to be inferior to HD then the HD I saw in JL was faulty. The Denon DVD-A1 is just the nuts and this TV really does do it justice - quality. I'm sat here like a cheshire cat!!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom