Which 43" TV to use as a monitor? (For programming / coding)

I'm in Europe in Greece.
First, I was looking for a 2k monitor then when I checked the prices (250-350 euro) I saw that a low end 4k UHD TV can also be used for same purpose.
My eyes were on this monitor 2k 144hz 32" monitor - LG-32GK650F-B (I can buy it around 300 euro here.)
But I decided that I don't need 144hz at all or other specs like fs and gs.

I want to use the TV as a monitor and I especially want it for the big workspace. (I'm currently trying to learn / step into coding/programming)
Probably this will be my only and main monitor.
I play games very casually, so support for 1k-2k 60fps could be good, if my system feels weak.
Btw my system is a Ryzen 5 with a gtx 1070.

So I decided I can also look for a 43" UHD for using as a monitor from proper distance, especially for the workspace.

I read the guides here and saw recommendations for lg 43um7400 (7xxx are bwetween 270-330) as IPS and Hisense 43b7100-7500 as VA. (43b7100 is around 270 euro here) (b7500 is 330 euro)
We don't have tcl 43dp628 here we have 43dp600 (290) and 43ep640 (270 euro) / 43ep660 (330 euro)
I'm watching the prices for good offers, these prices are just the ones that I found with a minimum price checker.

I'm leaning to IPS right now but I'm not sure !

There are a lot of different versions here around same price lvl for LG 43um7xxx like (7300,7100,7400,7450 they all have different endings like PLA,PLB,PLC)
And I'm not sure if they are all the same panel type.

If they are all ips and support 1k,2k and 4k 60 fps resolutions, in (4:4:4), I'll go with the cheapest one because I don't care about other specs like smart remote etc.
But I couldn't find exact information about supported resolutions on LG site. (in manual there isn't a clear expression)
I checked web and found a review for um7300 series. According to review Tv supports 1k,2k and 4k 60fps.
And support 4:4:4 on 1k and 4k. (but I'm not sure if this is true for all 43um7xxx versions)

For my purpose (coding/programming + very causal gaming) which panel type is better ? (VA or IPS)
And between all these options which tv should I buy ?

Do you think my logic is making sense to buy a 43" 4k over a 2k 32" monitor, for the purposes I explained. ?

If there is anybody in same situation that has experienced a 43" as a monitor (and by any chance using it for programming purposes), I also want to hear "dos" and "donts".

Dodgexander

I own the Gsync version of the LG monitor you were considering. One for me, one for the wife actually. They are great monitors but much the same as most gaming monitors, excel mostly with less motion blur compared to picture quality in terms of contrast, blacks, colour, accuracy etc.

Before I bought these monitors I tried using my 43" TCL as a display because I knew (like you) it would make sense instead to spend the money on a larger UHD TV.

The main issue I found doing this was pure size for desk usage. A 43" TV was just far too big to use on my IKEA desk. Viewing at around 75cm from the screen, together with the TV being higher up on its TV stand (not adjustable on TVs) meant you have to look upward to see the top of the screen, and sideways to see the side. Not only that, but because the TV was a TCL, it was using a VA panel which is common in TVs made by Chinese manufacturers (Hisense use the same) the viewing angles were poor, making the edges and corners of the TV have a colour shift. If you do use a TV for a monitor for 'desk' use, it needs to be using an IPS panel for this reason.

So how far away do you plan to use the TV? If its for desk usage I'd steer away from the idea of using a TV and use a monitor instead. If you have an unusually wide desk and the TV can sit farther away, or perhaps you pull the desk out, and have the TV fitted to an arm, or the wall behind it may be okay...but you need to view further away than normal desk viewing distances.

Not only that, but scaling is a problem with certain applications, which is far more troublesome on 4k display compared to a 2k one. To be blunt, 4k on smaller TVs is a bad idea because they are too small to benefit fully from it, but also too large to view close enough to benefit from it. 4k makes much more sense when you view farther away from a larger display.

Regarding your other questions:
There's no need to worry about TVs receiving a 4:4:4 RGB signal any more. All TVs support this.
LG models that carry similar model numbers are in the same range, and therefore have the same panel type and picture quality. Differences are in features and aesthetics. For example, from 2019 ranges you need the UM7450 and above if you want their smart remote included instead of a standard one.

If you don't need the frills of 144hz and adaptive frame rate support just buy a cheaper 60hz monitor with an emphasis of picture accuracy compared to high refresh rate, you'll save some money and get an accurate picture that way.

I'm planning of mounting the Tv to wall and pulling the desk out.

I was planning on arranging the distance by experimenting with the size of the windows and fonts in workspace.
I can arrange any distance actually for an ideal use, I have enough space.

So LG is a better choice for viewing edges as it is IPS. (and good with angled views)

I thought 43" could be ideal enough for a 4k tv to use as a monitor (with enough distance), do you think I should go bigger ?
(I think a 49" version of um7000-7100 can be bought around 300-350 with a good offer)

By the last part of your post do you mean a 32" 2k 60-75hz could be a better option for me? (I really don't think 144hz will have much use for me, but LG-32GK650F-B says "buy me" around 300 euro price range at least for here)

I think 32" 2k (60-75) prices are not that much cheaper also. (I still need to pay around 200 euro maybe more)

I'm really confused, what about the eye health ? o_O

Dodgexander

49" is also small, that is the problem. Each pixel is so small that you will rely so much on scaling. You want to view at a distance where you are not so close so viewing angles in particular aren't too narrow, but also not so far away that you can make out text without scaling. That probably doesn't become equilibrium until you look at projector size screens when it comes to 4k resolution.

Scaling for the most part is fine, but some games and applications, older ones in particular don't scale. A good example is the Nvidia display control panel. But you will see what I mean once you own one.

If you can view farther away and you are flexible with your desk placement you may be okay going with an UHD TV. I only advised a computer monitor based on my own experience using a TV placed on top of my desk.

Not too knowledgeable with monitors but I would have thought monitors without high refresh rate would be cheaper. If you do go that route and you find a high refresh rate one doesn't cost much extra, why not get one? Just the same as TVs different monitors will have different pros and cons I guess.

Regarding what is good for your eyes you don't want to be straining to read text that is too small, but you also don't want to be moving constantly to see edges of the screen as that will be uncomfortable for your neck.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom