Question Which 43'' TV to buy - Just picture quality

nezavadsky

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have now spent unreasonable amount of time going through the internet trying to figure out which one is the best for me. I'm in EU/SVK, looking for TV for my parents, they can only fit 43'' into their slot in oldstyle furniture.

The only thing that matters is picture quality. There will be mostly daylight cable TV, but it is connected to the Xiaomi 4K TV box, which was supplying the modern features to old TV. So there is a source for 4K HDR content as well.

I don't really think that 60hz panel is worse then 120hz. For starters, I believe most video sources are 50fps or below. And until there will be more high fps source, I don't know what for you have the same frame displayed twice :p
But please let's not dwell on Hz, as I am saying, the picture quality is what I am after.
The viewing angle is lets say 40 at worst, but usually less.
Budget is under 1000 euro. But if it would be really worth it, can go higher, but at this moment I don't see a reason spending over 520, since I can get Samsung 43 Q60R or Q60T for that price. I don't know why should I pay 620 for Q64T, since I can't find real advantage over Q60T.

Currently I am still going back to Samsung Q60R, or Q60T. There was a review I read which even claimed that Q60T is worse then its predecessor due to downgrade in Hz, but not sure about the rest. I have no idea how do they compare to other brands, like Sony, or LG. But it seems that LG completely doesn't care about the 43'' segment and Sony seems to have a bit worse ratings than Samsung Q60.

There was supposed to be quite a contender - Vizio M7 Serie, but I failed to find it on Slovakian market and I am not really keen on buying expensive products outside my countries warranty rules.

Please help! :D
And yes, I went through the 43 threads here, but all of them didn't fit my description. At least I think.

The viewing angle for the 43 inch Q60T is below average for a VA panel. This has good picture quality if your looking straight on but the picture quality degrades with off axis viewing.

Last edited:
Thank you @Unopinionated , what about the Q60R or Q64T? At what angle does Q60T start to deteoriate?
Consumer Reports reports tested the viewing angle of the 43 inch Q60T and they give a rating of poor for the viewing angle. Consumer Reports also tested the 55 inch Q60T and they gave a rating of good for the viewing angle at this size. Consumer Reports gives a rating of good for most VA panels. The fact that they gave the 43 inch version a poor viewing angle rating means this TV will go South somewhere between 10 and 15 degrees off axis.

Rtings.com reviewed the 55 inch version of the Q60T and they said a noticeable difference in blacks will occur at 15 degrees and a gamma shift at 17 degrees. From Consumer Reports review we know the 43 inch version will perform worse than this.

If you look straight on at this TV the deep blacks are almost perfect with a 1:7000 contrast ratio. To get this superb contrast ratio Samsung has sacrificed the viewing angle. If you watch the 43 inch Q60T straight on the contrast ratio is phenominal. If you watch the 43 inch Q60T from a 20 degree angle the contrast ratio will be terrible.

There's nothing but low spec models at smaller sizes, so I'd advise just picking up the model that is locally the cheapest. Usually that is from Chinese manufacturers like Hisense or TCL. Because manufacturers do not release their higher tier models at smaller sizes now, you can spend a lot more money at this size and not get a better TV.

If they prefer a IPS panel, go with LG instead at 43". Chinese manufacturers use VA type.

Whatever you do, don't be a fool and tricked by marketting to think Samsung models like the Q60T or Q64T are any better than much cheaper models. They are a good way to throw money down the drain.

What makes matters harder is many reviews you read online of TVs will be for different sizes. For example you mention the Q60T having a downgrade in panel hz compared to the Q60R of last year. Well this is true, but only at 55" and over where the TVs use 120hz panels. At smaller sizes Samsung TVs use 60hz and have done for a few years now.

Thank you, I know I'm gonna sound like a moron right now, but as I was debating with parents how the segment of 43'' TVs is basically just a bunch of bad TVs I did managed to pursue them to go to 48-49 inch. This resulted therefore in the fact that this thread is no longer relevant for me. I hope it helps someone tho. If nothing, at least that they should be going bigger. I'm sorry, thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you, I know I'm gonna sound like a moron right now, but as I was debating with parents how the segment of 43'' TVs is basically just a bunch of bad TVs I did managed to pursue them to go to 48-49 inch. This resulted therefore in the fact that this thread is no longer relevant for me. I hope it helps someone tho. If nothing, at least that they should be going higher. I'm sorry, thank you!
Wise decision, and whether we like it or not manufacturers do not, and have not cared for smaller sizes for some time now. In fact, there's only a handful of models below 50" which are considered higher range TVs.

Sony 49XG9005 - This is the usual standout recommendation if you are happy with a TV with narrow viewing angles. Its the cheapest way to get the best overall TV.

Sony 49XH9505 - This is a new 2020 model and presently overpriced in most areas. Not recommended (yet)

New 48" OLEDs like the LG CX or Sony A9 - 2020 models presently overpriced, but will be the ultimate picture quality money can buy at smaller sizes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom