• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which 42" TV? - Picture Quality is priority

Nick White

Novice Member
Hey guys, so I've spent quite a while trawling through websites and forums, but I'm struggling to make a decision.
Hopefully someone with some knowledge will be able to help me out...

I'm looking for a 42" TV. Doesn't need to be smart, doesn't need 3D. Under £450 would be good, any cheaper would be a bonus.
My main priority is picture quality.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Ossie77

Panasonic L42E6B - very good PQ and image processing
Sony 42W653 - great for gaming, apparently has good PQ too. Only X2 HDMi ports though.

Google these and check out the reviews. There are loads!

Nick White

Novice Member
Thank you Ossie, both these TV's look great. But unfortunately they're a little out of my price range. I wonder if there are any similar options without smart capabilities?

vickster

Distinguished Member
40F5000 non smart Samsung, or the slightly less good 42F5000.

Samsung UE42F5000 | 42 inch LED TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

There is also the non Smart Panasonic B6B (and new models coming out right now too)

But I'd go for Ossie's suggestion, £19 over budget but 5 year cover

Samsung UE42F5000 | 42 inch LED TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Could look at the LG offerings, cheaper of the main 4 brands (not my choice, look cheaper and seem to suffer weak blacks and banding more than the others)

The better TVs tend to have Smart (and often 3D) and cost more. £400ish for 42" really is entry level

Or you could look at the 720p plasma from Panasonic, should come in way under budget

Panasonic VIERA TXP42X60B | 42 inch Plasma TV HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

vickster

Distinguished Member
Yes, especially with the extended warranty

southeastjedi

Parents have just bought the TXL42E6B, set it up for them and checked out HD TV and a couple blu-rays and the PQ was excellent. Set looks stunning too and with the built in Wi-Fi/smart functions it was a steal at £470

Ossie77

Thank you both. I think I'm happy to pay a little more for the longevity of the TV.
If do really like the Sony 42W653, but I can't find it for less than £500

Would it be worth paying the small difference for the SONY KDL42W705B? Looks to be the upgraded 42W653

Sony BRAVIA KDL42W705B Black | 42 inch LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

The W705 has X4 HDMI ports which is a big bonus. The W7 is a new line for Sony fitting in between this years 'new' W605 and the W829. The W605 is avaliable in 40" and 48" sizes. Both the W6 and W7 have been well reviewed but it looks as though the W7 has slightly deeper black levels (0.042 Vs. 0.059) and much better input lag for gaming. The design of the W7 is also slimmer and a little more refined. It also has X4 HDMI.

Sony KDL40W605/ KDL-40W605B (W6) Review

Sony KDL-40W605B Review | TV Reviews

Sony KDL42W705B/ KDL42W705 (W7) Review

Sony Bravia KDL42W705 review - CNET

Also, the W6 40" only seems to be for sale with Currys at the moment at a price of £479 so the extra
£70.95 you might pay for the 42" W7 from Richer Sounds gets you a bigger TV, slightly better picture quality, a better design, lower input lag and a 5 year guarantee. Not bad!

Nick White

Novice Member
Popped into PC world today to take a look at the KDL42W705B, but noticed their model was the KDL42W705BBU

Any idea what the difference is, or what this BBU shortcode stands for?

southeastjedi

Popped into PC world today to take a look at the KDL42W705B, but noticed their model was the KDL42W705BBU

Any idea what the difference is, or what this BBU shortcode stands for?

It's an area code basically, tells the manufacturing plant where to send the model.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom