Which 42" tv is the best?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by claire13, Jun 8, 2009.

1. claire13

claire13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone!:) I'm wanting to purchase a new TV...will be sitting approx 6 feet away. I'm thinking 42" lcd but thats only because everyone says "dont touch Plasma.":confused: What are people thoughts on lcd v plasma and if LCD which one , budget is around £1000 give or take.

:lease: cos I'm very confused
    Thanks

Claire

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Hi and welcome unless your going to be Gaming for 8+ hours a day plasma will give you much better PQ in my opinion. Especially for normal TV. Have a look at the panasonic TX-42G10 excellent PQ good value and the new 600hz Neo PDP which is very impressive (also has freesat for free HDTV) http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...asma+TV/TX-P42G10/Overview/2121153/index.html budget may stretch to a 46" or even a 50"

3. riddlesticks

riddlesticks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a new 42" LCD tv. It is an LG LF7700, so far it seems really great, I have had the Playstation 3 on it, normal TV and Blu-Ray movies all of which look great, in particular the PS3 and Blu-Ray which looks incredible. It has built in Freesat (Free HD channels), 1080p, 100Hz, 24p, 80,000:1 contrast ratio and looks very sleek... Thoroughly reccommended. :)

I purchased mine from Dixons online, came to around £850 and it is £1100 in Currys so, seemingly I got a bargain.

Use the code "3TV" at the checkout on dixons.com for a furthur 3% off (over £25 on this TV :thumbsup:)

4. claire13

claire13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou hornydragon and riddlesticks for your speedy replies I really appreciate it:). Will check em out! I dont watch any sport, what do you reckon is the biggest screen size i could comfortable watch ??
    Regards
    Claire:hiya:

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    What do you mainly watch? are you a film buff or soap addict? or Cookery show nut? Or house hedonist? Where will the screen be? corner, flat against wall, on wall, in a cupboard, in the ceiling? etc

Do you have Sky/Cable? DVD? VHS? Games? PC?

Do you use online video like 4OD? Iplayer?
    What about sound? big screen is coool but proper sound is fantastic for film viewing! Thin TV's mean thin speakers which don't sound great.

6. claire13

claire13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mainly watch soaps and movies ,I use to have Sky and will either resubscribe or get freesat??
    Tv will be at side of chimney breast, in recess on a stand. Settee will be on opposite wall ,as I said about 6 feet away.
    Im prepared to get additional speakers cos it seems to me that most Tv s sound is the weak link...am I right in saying that?:confused: I also intend to get a bluray player cos the quality just blows me away!!:)
    Thanks
    Claire:hiya:

7. riddlesticks

riddlesticks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having never experienced surround sound etc, I don't think I am really in a position to offer my opinion on sound however the sound on my LG tv is more than satisfactory. Infact I think it's great! The "invisible speaker system" on almost all new LG's are "Tuned by renowned audio expert Mr. Mark Levinson"... :)
    But if you do wish for extra sound the TV comes with plenty of connections to fulfill all you desires :thumbsup:

8. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Claire - I would expect the Standard Definition sources that you watch to be quite grainy and poor from 6ft on a 42" screen :confused: Normally a 32" would be appropriate (a 37" at a push)

Blu-ray will look great however but your soaps may be fuzzy

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I would say the 42G10 from panasonic is the best compromise of good SD perfermance andBLu-ray lovliness you could go bigger but SD image will suffer. If you do decide to go for an additional sound system then thats cool, but don't get tempted by the "all in one" systems in currys etc. Get a decent AV amp and speakers seperatly it will cost mor ebut will last longer and sound better.

At around £900 the 42G10 is right on budget you may be able to deal in store to get a Blu-ray player included for a reasonable sum and also the 5 year warranty

There are some good offers on Sky HD at the moment or for freesat you just connect your old sky dish wire into the back of the G10 and you will get BBC HD etc. With SKy HD you get more HD channels inc HD movies if you subscribe to them etc

10. claire13

claire13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks hornydragon..just been checkin the Panasonic G10 out sounds very impressive, why does everyone say "Dont buy Plasma" ? Im confused!!!:( I wont bother with sound system I dont think if I go down the G10 route ,was only considering it when I was looking at Samsung cos everyone says there sound is rubbish!!:mad:
    Claire

11. duncfunk

duncfunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Who says don't buy plasma?! (unless you haven't looked in the plasma forum yet :))

Unless you own a lot of HD sources or have a very big lcd budget then plasma is definitely the way to go. For SD tv and movies plasmas will do a much better job than a similarly priced lcd. If you hear any scare stories about screen burn don't worry too much, you'd have to really abuse them for that to happen!

12. claire13

claire13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of my colleagues have said that plasmas get hot and have noisy fans in em! :mad:Also that they are being fazed out, cos Lcd is better and cos of the new Led's !! Must admit its put me off cos I havnt a clue!!:confused:
    When Ive asked in Currys and John Lewis though they have said that is rubbish , but I wasnt sure if that was cos their salesmen!
    So Plasma it is then...any other s I should check out alongside the Panasonic G10??

Claire:lease:

13. tvbox

tvbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Wrong:mad:
    Plasma technology is getting better all the time, however i must point out that the G10 does have 2 discreet fans:rotfl:. They won't get hotter than a LCD and can be viewed from all angles.

If you do want one without fans, then try the Pana S10 or X10:thumbsup:

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Ah the bloke in the pub expert...... I bet they all own sony LCDs.....

Seriously LCD has its place but for your veiwing requirements (did they ask about them?) Plasma all the way baby.

There are only a handful of LED based LCD's notably samsung in the UK (just released) but i can disprove every myth they can come up with.

15. Will_H

Will_H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey,

Been lurking about the forums for a while trying to figure out this exact question!:eek:

i am caght berween 3 options - Sony W550, Samsung LED, or the panasonic G10 (or G15). Having looked at them for some considerable time in comet today i really like the panasonic, but the one niggle i have that is putting me off is the reflection on the back of the screen when viewed from an angle (not sure of the technical term!). Its only something you can see when its a black background with light characters or images on the screen. Short of nuying a pioneer i understand this is a charecteristic of all plasmas.

I am planning on having it flat (or on) to the wall in my livingroom, but we have chairs all round it and whilst some will look straighton, other will be at anough of an angle that this reflection may be an issue.

Would be happy to hear any views - am i worryong about something thats not gonna happen when i use it for real, or would i be better sticking with one of the lcd's? :lease:

Will

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Glass as used on plasma screens will reflect nore light than plastic used on LCD, When turned off a plasma will look more like a mirror than an LCD switched on it less noticable but both will reflect incidental lights sources

17. claire13

claire13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im so glad i joined this forum:thumbsup:...thanks to everyone who has given advice. Like you say hornydragon ,they do all own Lcd's!! I dont think they are basing their opinions on any real knowledge!!
    Its good to get some unbiased advice.
    Claire

18. S Bibby

S Bibby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Hi Claire,
    I read your post above about Plasma Vs LED and it isn't really worth comparing since LED is a fairly new technology for TVs I think and not yet proven. LED TVs are actually LCDs but with LED rather than fluorescent backlight, which is naturally brighter I think. They are claiming lower power consumption on LED based sets which is probably accurate but their contrast claims (often a key selling point) might be optimistic to be blunt. Plasmas do heat up somewhat and I think that is why the rear section of Plasma TVs is often metal rather than plastic or enamel. I don't think heat dissipation is an issue so fans probably aren't needed much.

On the other hand it is true that Plasma has higher power consumption than LCD or LED-based LCD and you can read about this online. Also the new What Plasma and LCD mag is a 'green' issue and compares power requirements between certain new models. The new 42 inch Panasonic Plasma G10 model was rated at 450 watts so this gives you an idea how high they can go. I have read similar figures online from a guy in the US using an energy meter but I should say that this is probably at max brightness and also on a 1080p panel which is quite demanding. At lower brightness the Plasma screen can be considerably lower powered, maybe 50% of that figure so that is also important. LCD can also be high powered since there is constant brightness but on average I think it is fair to assume it will consume less power than a Plasma; LEDs are a different question because I haven't seen many figures yet but the Sony X series I read about recently had a quoted figure of 122 watts on a 46 inch 1080p panel which is encouraging. Also Sony has brought out an E series which goes below 100w on certain settings. Usually this involves dimming the backlight but I think the backlight can only be lowered to a certain extent before the picture is compromised and very dull (also lacking in colour).

Hope this is of some help,
    Simon

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  19. claire13

claire13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Simon , must admit picture quality is my main consideration,so if the Plasma is better on that score and the fans arent noisy ,I'm happy!!:thumbsup:

Now to find the best deal!!! Dixons does appear at the moment to be the most competitive cos of the discount code:D
    Claire

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    The Power consumption argument is an odd ones basics are plasma energy use changes with the on screen content, LCD (of which LED is a variant) have pretty constant enrgy use. SO you can't compare usage figures but tests done a while back (ther ei sa link on here somewhere) actually showed LCD's using more power to show LOTR trilogy than plasma (a mainly dark film)!

Don't go too nuts on buying the cheapest price as some suppliers don't offer all the benefits (things like 5 year warranty from panasonic etc)

21. S Bibby

S Bibby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Hi,
    Yes, I realise it is a fair point that Plasma reacts differently to LCD according to the level of brightness (my understanding is that brightness withers away inside a Plasma quite quickly). But I think it is quite clear that Plasmas use more energy and even the newer Panasonic panels mentioned are higher than most LCDs of the same size and spec. I think anyone who owns a home energy meter such as the Kill-a-Watt unit in the US or other similar products can measure this accurately themselves. For example my Hifi setup at low volume uses barely 25 watts, and the max wattage on the back of my old amp is 190w. Our 28 inch Sony Trinitron CRT uses 110 watts with the Freeview Box included.

One study I read on the internet: -

Source - www.home.agilent.com/agilent/redire...S&lc=eng&ckey=1484550&cname=AGILENT_EDITORIAL
    http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/home.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  22. claire13

claire13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took your advice onboard hornydragon, I'm buying from Chesterfield Panasonic Centre, £999 , thats with, 5 years warranty and £100 for my old tv, seems to be the best deal both in store and on the web.:clap:
    Claire

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Well if you think plasm a withers quickly you must measure things in geological terms!

hlaf brightness time for a modern plasma is 100,000 hours! CRT was 20-30,000 hours. Energy comsumption differences between same sized plasma and LCD is so small that watching TV with tthe lights on will make a bigger difference!

Also any screen left in its defualt out of the box settings is going to under perfrom on both energy consumption and PQ.

Nice one claire seems like you got a good deal (assume your getting it delivered and set up as well)

24. tvbox

tvbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    But some have coatings and i think they are quite effective:thumbsup:
    I would say about the LCD level. Now the lunchtime news is watchable again compared to my CRT's reflections:eek:!

25. S Bibby

S Bibby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Hi,
    In reference to this -
    I was referring to the brightness which is transmitted through the panel; I believe this is the main reason why LCDs lie behind plasmas in black levels and luminance. Apparently although the light behind LCDs is polarised an amount always remains and cannot be transmitted. I think that Plasma generates a higher amount of luminosity in the first place (going off the manufacturers figures in CD or Candela) but it disappears at a very fast rate, and with it goes the brightness in the panel.

I think if you read the study I mentioned it is clear that there are significant differences in power consumption, with Plasma being the least efficient. I don't know whether there are other figures available but it has been tested by a number of sources within an scientific methodology. Even 'calibrated' Plasmas run with often double the power consumption of LCDs on average. The calibrated figure on Plasmas is also stated in the What Plasma and LCD tests this month which gave the 450 watt figure to the G10. Although this is an average it is comparable to the LCD screens for the following reasons.

Average measurements are the most accurate under the circumstances - the LCD measurements in the study above used 100% of the LCD panels power potential. Therefore LCDs used less power than Plasmas to generate the same picture.With higher average power consumption the Plasmas power levels are the minimum necessary to provide the same picture. If you use an energy meter it gives a figure on the highest and lowest consumption. If you then get an average from these numbers you will get roughly the same result (this is the mean power consumption).

Plasmas and LCDs can both run with less brightness but if one draws more power on average and requires more power to generate the same picture then I don't see how there isn't a difference. Some large screen LCDs today have average figures lower than 100 watts (Sony WE 42 inch), and that is without LED backlighting. A Plasma of the same size cannot achieve this level and at best uses more power, with the potential power consumption being higher.

LCD vs plasma TVs - TV, music and radio - Which? Advice