which 42+ sub £500ish tv - failing to narrowing it down :o(

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by maikutanner, Feb 16, 2014.

1. maikutanner

maikutanner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Lightening has nicely cooked my tv, and after a few days on here I thought I'd narrowed it down but the set I was going to buy looked really bad in Currys today (no other store nearby, but I'll buy online) LG 42LA620V

Anyway...I'm looking to get a tv for around £500 but I'll go up some more if it's worth it. Ideally it needs to be 42" or more, LCD or plasma, not fussed about 3D but it would be nice to have. Don't need a smart tv or good sound as I've got all that covered.

Mainly for tv (sd and some hd), films(streaming, DVD, blue ray) and some gaming but very very little. I hate motion blur, and blurred edges on images etc - so picture quality is important.

I had narrowed it down to Sony KDL42W653 or LG 42LA620V but because the LG didn't look so good and I haven't seen the Sony plus it doesn't have 3D (but is still an option) I need some better suggestion than I've managed so far!

Thanks in advance
    Mike

2. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    The W6 has motion processing but when switched on is supposed to create flickering. Not sure about the LG but contrast will be poor Vs. W6 and most other TV's. The 42" Panasonic ST60 is £599 from Richer Sounds with a five year guarantee. No blur, terrific SD (I'm currently watching Line of Duty on BBC2 SD very happily!), HD is rich, smooth with no un-natural sharpness, upscaling of DVD's is also fantastic, blu rays are immaculate. The excellent contrast performance makes gaming enjoyable (I only game a little) but there is some lag. I helped reduce it by turning my xbox display settings to 720p. Processing is also very good so Netflix content looks great. If you follow this link to HDTV Test and scroll down the review of the ST60 to the Test results table you will see that the overall performance is outstanding;

Panasonic TX-P42ST60B/ TX-P42ST60 (ST60) Review

There is also a new Sony coming out next week called the Sony W7 which might be worth checking out. Maybe Sony fixed the flickering on motionflow control? It should be in Richer Sounds next week.

Sony BRAVIA KDL42W705B Black | 42 inch LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

3. maikutanner

maikutanner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the advice - went for the Panasonic, very impressed with the picture quality - not so much with the sound but I'm not using the builtin tv speakers

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014