Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which 42" Plasma - Sony or Panasonic (Resolution/High Definition)

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by plasmaman77, Jan 9, 2005.

1. plasmaman77

plasmaman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am thinking about getting either the Panasonic Panasonic TH37PE30B or the Sony KDE-P42XS1.

The Panasonic has a lower resolution (852 x 480) than the Sony (1024x1024) and as such I think it will be compatible with High Definition TV when it comes out on Sky and possibly even Terrestrial TV in the next few years?? Will you notice a difference in quality as the Sony's resolution is "interlaced" whatever that means...

Which one would people recommend and am I correct that the Sony likely to be more "future proof"??

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    As far as future proofing goes both the models dont have HDMI/DVI (with hdcp) so based on current information Sky HD isnt going to work on them.

However the 37PE30 good though it is, isnt a HD screen anyway.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The sony is definitely not HD ready, but then neither is the panasonic. This can of worms has been done to death recently, try a search for sky HD, you'll be up till 6am

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do a quick search of the plasma forums regarding the HD debate - there are, as yet, no actual standards defined for UK broadcast of HD TV (from what i've read) and the screens that are claiming to be HD compatible are not able to support certain resolutions and refresh rates (IIRC 720p/50hz and another one that i can't remember)

The Sony is an ALIS panel (that's another story) but again do check the forums for HD discussions.

regards
    Gary

5. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer is the only future proof plasma at the moment

6. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I considered the 2 as well. See the thread Panasonic TH37PE30B vs Sony KDE-P37XS1
    Both are not HDMI compatible but i went for the Sony anyway cause i love it's looks and the picture quality is great.

For future proof and HDMI compatible, see thread on How about a list of Plasma Panels/TV that are Hi-Def compatible

For sony info see thread on Sony KDEP42XS1-First impressions

Good luck mate. There are endless decisions and choices that are mind boggling!!!! Hope you find the plasma of your dreams!

7. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No it isn't. The current LG and NEC line have equally compatible inputs.

8. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    is the hole episode not just a case wait and see what actualy happens

i now that every time i switch my tv on i have a big grin on my face :D

we are always going to have new formats come and go

vhs vs betamax

reel vs casset

record vs cd

cd vs minidisc

hi8 vs dv

dvd+ vs dvd -

bluray vs hddvd(http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/5936.cfm

some will stay some will go but sky will b broadcasting standard deff tv for a long time to come if u like the picture u see on the plasma tv then go for it

personaly i wdnt worry about the future let the future come to you

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    This is about all you can do at present. The entire HDTV debate on the forum has been based around 1 sky press release, worded such as to induce paranoia. It's worked beautifully, I wonder if Pioneer had a word with them before they issued it? After all, actually it's only LG and Pioneer, cos NEC is a wholly owned subsidiary. Pioneer have a tie up with Euro1080, why not with Sky? Anything can and does happen, to quote from JP. It'll be something like 10 years before a HD decision is forced on you, maybe a lot more. This is not your last display, unless you are very old...

10. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree - I've only just bought my Panny and haven't stopped to worry about HD for a single minute despite reading many of the threads posted here (some of which seem intent on inducing panic among the masses - perhaps Pio struck a deal with forum members AND Sky... word of mouth is the cheapest and most powerful form of advertising after all :laugh: ).

If my PQ doesn't get any better over the next 5 years and I can't take advantage of HD I'll still be as happy as I am now (VERY), especially considering the screen cost under £1500.

Sky would be insane to force people to upgrade in the immediate future, so I think we'll be receiving SD broadcasts - even after the introduction of HD - for some time to come...