• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which 42"+ LCD TV for a larger living room?

JoshAFC

Standard Member
My girlfriend and I are currently in the process of decorating our new house, the good thing is we've had nearly a month to get the place decorated exactly how we want before we move in. The living room is approximately 18 foot in length, we're planning on having the TV mounted on the wall with the sofa at the rear of the room. Allowing room for the radiator, the sofa and the bracket for the TV I'd say that it will be close 15 foot from viewing position to the TV.

I currently have a Samsung LE32R87BDX 32" LCD TV, lovely piece of kit, but it would be far too small for a living room of that size and for viewing from that distance I feel. So, this will be moved up into our bedroom.

Can anyone recommend a 42" (at a minimum) LCD TV? Will 42" be big enough when viewed from 15 foot, or do I need to go bigger still? I'd like full 1080p HD, though we don't have massive amounts to spend, £650-700 top. I love everything about my current Samsung, great picture quality, and the TV itself looks very sleek, so ideally I'd like the new TV to 'look' as good as this too.

Sources for the TV will be Freeview, Sky (not HD...for now), Xbox 360 with HDMI, and a Samsung upscaling DVD player with HDMI.

Any help is much appreciated.

audiphile76

Can anyone recommend a 42" (at a minimum) LCD TV? Will 42" be big enough when viewed from 15 foot, or do I need to go bigger still? I'd like full 1080p HD, though we don't have massive amounts to spend, £650-700 top. I love everything about my current Samsung, great picture quality, and the TV itself looks very sleek, so ideally I'd like the new TV to 'look' as good as this too.

Sources for the TV will be Freeview, Sky (not HD...for now), Xbox 360 with HDMI, and a Samsung upscaling DVD player with HDMI.

Any help is much appreciated.
For 15 feet viewing distance, you should get atleast a 50" 1080p panel for realising any benefits from fullHd material viewing.If you can manage to reduce your viewing distance by pulling away the sofa from the opposite wall closer to 8-10 feet, then a 42" 1080p tele would be good. For freeview, 40W4500 or a 40A656 both are good and W4500 is good for gaming.

JoshAFC

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply.

I've had a look about, found the Samsung LE46A558 46" LCD TV with full HD 1080p, 24 fps etc. I realise this TV is going on a year old now, though places are doing it for around £750 which is more within my budget.

We're planning to move the sofa forward another few feet, so viewing distance would be more around 12/13 foot mark.

Would this TV suit me?

ppj

you get the samsung for just over £700 if you search on google inc delivery , i am also looking at that tv seems a good buy at the price:thumbsup:

ppj

buymedigital.co.uk or any search on google:) theres also a 46 ins sharp for £640 on prudentpanda.co.uk and foundem.co.uk

JoshAFC

Standard Member
I've managed to find the Samsung LE46A558 for £743 at Crampton & Moore. That price INCLUDES a 3 year warranty too. Delivery is £30, but can't sniff at it really when you get peace of mind in the 3 year warranty.

Anyone dealt with Crampton & Moore before?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom