Which 42 inch TV for £600?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Caibouk, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Caibouk

Caibouk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey All,

I've never owned a flat screen TV, so could really do with some advice!

I'm looking to buy a 42" TV - can be either Plasma or LCD (LED) for around the £600 mark. I would prefer if it's not 3D.

It would be all about the picture quality really.

I'm not fussed whether it has SMART functionality - although WiFi / PC connectivity would be a welcome feature. I will be using it to watch Sky, including the HD channels and also B Ray films.

Thanks,
    Cai

Edit: I've been searching further and have come across the Panasonic Viera TX-L42E5B LED HD 1080p Smart TV, 42 Inch with Freeview HD.

Anybody has any experience with this model? It seems to have good enough reviews and in in John Lewis, so could potentially price match for their 5 year guarantee (seems to be the done thing).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    The Panasonic UT50 is worth a look, yes its 3D but its a good 2D set.

The best thing you can do is demo both this and the LED in Richer sounds demo room.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  3. Caibouk

Caibouk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Scooby. Thanks for your reply.

Further research has led me to think the Panasonic Viera TX-L42E5B may not be the best choice, with Which? giving it a total score of 54%.

From what I can see, Richer Sounds do not stock the Panasonic UT50 (TX-P42UT50B)... though have found it for £499 @ Direct TV's who are also including a 5 year Panasonic warranty free.

I've now been trying to compare the Panasonic TX-P42UT50B at £499 with 5 year warranty versus the Sony KDL40EX653BU at £589 (price match) with 5 year warranty. They both seem to have decent reviews. The Sony having built in Wi-Fi.

Any further advice as to how I could compare or what the possible draw backs may be with each set would be appreciated. I'm doing as much research as I can and trying to get the best set for the money, but I have limited knowledge with flat screen TV's.

Thanks,
    Cai

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  4. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Depends on viewing conditions and material you watch.
    Plasma is better in a dark or dim room, LCD in a bright room.

The Sony is a good set but as an LED LCD uniformity won't be as good, with back light bleed and clouding. Black level on the Sony I think is darker though you lose detail and the blacks aren't uniform like the UT50. Motion will also be better on the UT50 as its a plasma.

These are two very different technologies and ideally you need to demo both.