• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which 40 or 42 inch tv should i buy - i would much appreciate your help - Thanks!

MDickson

Standard Member
I have just started looking for a good but cheap tv. I would like it to be 40 or 42 inch.

The main use for the tv will be watching football, movies, the wii, and a few entertainment programmes, such as prison break and top gear. And therefore i believe plasma would be best (am i correct)

I am just beginning to get to grips with the jargon and which statistics to look out for.

I use sky sd and hve no hd dvd players/blu-ray or ps3's yet, but would look at buying them in the future, depending on funds.

The tv's that i fancy so far are the:
Samsung PS-42Q97HDX
Panasonic PH-42PX70
Panasonic PH42PZ70 (i really fancy the sound of this one - although this one is a little over budget)
or any other tv's that you can suggest as a better alternative.

If you could help with advice on this it would be much appreciated.

:)

MDickson

Standard Member
Cheers!

Think i will prob go for the PX70 - as it is cheaper - therefore i can treat myself to a good sound system for it.

Think i will avoid the samsungs as nobody even mentions them when considered against a panasonic.

Thanks for your help!

MDickson

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies!

I think the pioneer is just too expensive for myself - although it is probably the better tv of them all but i cant afford it :(

To: la gran siete
:lease: reply

Why should i choose the 42PH10 over the 42PX70?
I am finding it hard to find reviews on this set but you seem pretty convinced that it is better. Do you have one?
They are both priced similarly - although i can get the PX70 for slightly cheaper.
Also what is the difference between the 42PH10B, 42PH10BK, and 42PH10BS?

I can find the 42PX70 for £740 with wall mount;
and the 42PH10 for £840 with wall mount, TY-FB8HM HDMI Board and TY-FB9BD Composite/SVHS board

What are all of these extras and are they worth the extra money?

Thanks again for all your help!

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies!

I think the pioneer is just too expensive for myself - although it is probably the better tv of them all but i cant afford it :(

To: la gran siete
:lease: reply

Why should i choose the 42PH10 over the 42PX70?
I am finding it hard to find reviews on this set but you seem pretty convinced that it is better. Do you have one?
They are both priced similarly - although i can get the PX70 for slightly cheaper.
Also what is the difference between the 42PH10B, 42PH10BK, and 42PH10BS?

I can find the 42PX70 for £740 with wall mount;
and the 42PH10 for £840 with wall mount, TY-FB8HM HDMI Board and TY-FB9BD Composite/SVHS board

What are all of these extras and are they worth the extra money?

Thanks again for all your help!
well lets put this way I was in your position not six weeks ago completely unsure of which plasma to opt for . Ultimately I decided on a Panny 42pX70 as the "common sense" choice as it has all the connectivity one would want , I could demo it quite easily in a local shop,it has a freeview tuner( although I wouldnt use that) coupled with a 5 year guarantee.Then I heard about a PH10 a commercial set( the kind you'd see in waiting rooms , hotels airport lounges etc)which is available in here and which was being talked up by a few individuals including someone who fits them so I became intrigued.Basically although it has limited connectivity options ( VGA , AV and s video)as standard ,extras such as HDMI inputs can be fitted.It does ,though, offer far better calibration options so that if at some later date you wanted to get it ISF calibrated you'd end up with a picture which in my view is superb. On top of that the processing is said to be superior than on a Viera(pX70/ PZ70) model.The down side is one has to travel far to demo one ( worth it if you can) ie Tunbridge Wells, Kent. You also have to assemble it, ie fit the stand/ brackets and inputs yourself( easy enough) . Anyway mine is standing very proudly in my front room and I am very pleased with it. As yet I have not had it calibrated but can vouch that its worth the extra having seen one during the demo. At the end of the day it depends on whether you want to go that extra mile or whether you'd be happy with a standard Viera which you can demo at any local tv shop that stocks them.
As for 1080p as 90 % of what I watch is sd then the extra upscaling seemed pointless coupled with the fact that most available HD is at 720p.I think 1080p is a bit of a sales gimmick if you ask me.
Ignore the B, BK and BS which are probably more about the colour of the set. Mines graphite :thumbsup:
Its best you use your own eyes before deciding. therefore demos are always worth the effort when spending this kind of money I did that myself and was pleased I took the effort to do so.The PX70 was good , the pH10 was that much better:).Do a search and ask anyone else here(Pm) who has a PH10 or 9 and see what they say.;)

YellowSphere

If you're investing in a sound system, pro panels usually look better because they have no speaker on them. So they look like what they are: just a display.

One thing that hasn't come up is where you watch the TV from. If it's Sky, you'll be fine with the display, if you were planning on using Freeview, you'd need to buy a set top box to go with a pro display.

MDickson

Standard Member
well lets put this way I was in your position not six weeks ago completely unsure of which plasma to opt for . Ultimately I decided on a Panny 42pX70 as the "common sense" choice as it has all the connectivity one would want , I could demo it quite easily in a local shop,it has a freeview tuner( although I wouldnt use that) coupled with a 5 year guarantee.Then I heard about a PH10 a commercial set( the kind you'd see in waiting rooms , hotels airport lounges etc)which is available in here and which was being talked up by a few individuals including someone who fits them so I became intrigued.Basically although it has limited connectivity options ( VGA , AV and s video)as standard ,extras such as HDMI inputs can be fitted.It does ,though, offer far better calibration options so that if at some later date you wanted to get it ISF calibrated you'd end up with a picture which in my view is superb. On top of that the processing is said to be superior than on a Viera(pX70/ PZ70) model.The down side is one has to travel far to demo one ( worth it if you can) ie Tunbridge Wells, Kent. You also have to assemble it, ie fit the stand/ brackets and inputs yourself( easy enough) . Anyway mine is standing very proudly in my front room and I am very pleased with it. As yet I have not had it calibrated but can vouch that its worth the extra having seen one during the demo. At the end of the day it depends on whether you want to go that extra mile or whether you'd be happy with a standard Viera which you can demo at any local tv shop that stocks them.
As for 1080p as 90 % of what I watch is sd then the extra upscaling seemed pointless coupled with the fact that most available HD is at 720p.I think 1080p is a bit of a sales gimmick if you ask me.
Ignore the B, BK and BS which are probably more about the colour of the set. Mines graphite :thumbsup:
Its best you use your own eyes before deciding. therefore demos are always worth the effort when spending this kind of money I did that myself and was pleased I took the effort to do so.The PX70 was good , the pH10 was that much better:).Do a search and ask anyone else here(Pm) who has a PH10 or 9 and see what they say.;)

Thanks for all your help!
I recently read one of your threads about not getting picture - and it has me slightly concerned. I am sure the tv is great after a bit of getting use to - but to be honest i feel that i dont know enough about setting up tv's to have a go at this. if only things were simpler.:rolleyes:
Also i stay in glasgow and wouldn't know how far to travel to see a demo - seems alot of bother (could only imagine).

Did you say that you had the PX70? if so was it good (mainly for sky sd)? or is there something else i should consider (that may be less hassle - haha :))?
I hope i am not blowing this -- is it really that much better? i am a bit of a novice to this scene.

Thanks for all your help - it's much appreciated!:)

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all your help!
I recently read one of your threads about not getting picture - and it has me slightly concerned. I am sure the tv is great after a bit of getting use to - but to be honest i feel that i dont know enough about setting up tv's to have a go at this. if only things were simpler.:rolleyes:
Also i stay in glasgow and wouldn't know how far to travel to see a demo - seems alot of bother (could only imagine).

Did you say that you had the PX70? if so was it good (mainly for sky sd)? or is there something else i should consider (that may be less hassle - haha :))?
I hope i am not blowing this -- is it really that much better? i am a bit of a novice to this scene.

Thanks for all your help - it's much appreciated!:)

I f you are new to this then I wouldnt recommend the PH10 although its not difficult to set up really.You just have a flat panel which you lay on a table face down ( having first laid a blanket to stop scratching the glass) then you insert the inputs( they are called blades, dont ask me why) then you assemble the stand and fix that on.With a PX70 you wouldn get any of that hassle, which is why I called it the common sense set. A good dealer should deliver and set it up for you or you could order one from John Lewis and get a 5 year warranty.You'd also have all the inputs you'd need already. It is a good set and you'd probably get a better pic with Sky than the inbuilt freeview. As with all flat screens there is an element of processing that needs to take place for Sd pics and if you look closely enough you'll find some faults but I dont believe they are enough to reject the set.Some people are very fussy though which is why I think you should find a good shop( not Currys/Comets) to demo it before buying and see for your self.You can still get it professionally calibrated at a later date although thats expensive- £300 approx- for optimum perfomance.In the meantime you could ask others in here what settings they have theirs at.
I dont know Glasgow but i am sure there must be some decent Tv or avshops there. Do a search.:)
Why I wasnt getting a pic was because I hadnt set one of the inputs boxes( blades ) correctly thats all. No probs now:thumbsup:

Dont know if this place is near enough to you but they stock the Panny so might be worth visiting them for demo
http://www.harrisofsaltcoats.com/Pages/About_Us.html

MDickson

Standard Member
Thanks again LGS!

Think i will prob go for the px70!
Good to hear all of your views - it has helped alot!
I will continue looking and go and see the tv for a demo soon - thanks!

:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom