Which 40-42" TV

Wayne1421

Standard Member
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice as my knowledge on TV's isn't great but i've read a number of reviews over the last week or so.

We have a strict budget of £500, it was a little bit less but decided that we would go up to £500. We are looking at TV's around 40-42" and having visited currys, comet etc I liked the look of the following within our price limit however if i have missed an obvious one under £500 im open to suggestions

Sony KDL40EX403
Panasonic 42S20B
Samsung UE-40C5100

I know that these are all different technologies (LCD, LED, Plasma) but I don't mind which technology we go for. This TV will be used mainly for everyday tv watching (not so much films) and quite a bit of sport.

Any advice would be great

Looking for a bit of advice as my knowledge on TV's isn't great but i've read a number of reviews over the last week or so.

We have a strict budget of £500, it was a little bit less but decided that we would go up to £500. We are looking at TV's around 40-42" and having visited currys, comet etc I liked the look of the following within our price limit however if i have missed an obvious one under £500 im open to suggestions

Sony KDL40EX403
Panasonic 42S20B
Samsung UE-40C5100

I know that these are all different technologies (LCD, LED, Plasma) but I don't mind which technology we go for. This TV will be used mainly for everyday tv watching (not so much films) and quite a bit of sport.

Hi edge lit LED isnt worth it IMO normal ccfl back lit LCD will be better.
For sport Id say go plasma as motion is better for you sport, infact at this price level the S20 is prob the best set you can get. Only reason not to get the S20 would be if you had a very bright room as it may washout the screen. The sony is a popular set if you decide to go LCD.

Sony KDL40EX403
Panasonic 42S20B
Samsung UE-40C5100

Hi Wayne1421

I’ve had a look for the TVs you’ve listed on our systems. We don’t sell the Panasonic TX-42S20B and the prices of the Sony and Samsung ones are currently higher than your budget. Sadly, we don’t have any 40” or 42” LED screens under £500 but I’ve had a look for some other LCD and plasma screen TVs and I think I’ve found a few that you’ll like.

The first is the Panasonic TX-P42U20B, a plasma TV just like the S20B you’ve listed. As Scooby2000 says above, this is the best type for fast images like movies and sports, as the response times are a lot quicker. It’s currently £449.99, so just under your budget.

On the other hand, you said you’ll mostly be watching TV programmes, so you might like the look of the Samsung LE40C580. This has an LCD screen and built-in Freeview HD just like the Sony KDL40EX403U, so you’ll benefit from pretty much the same features and won’t have to buy a separate Freeview HD box. The price of this one is currently £499.99.

While I was looking around, I also spotted a 50” plasma TV for £499.00. I know you said you’re looking at 40-42” models but I thought I’d mention it anyway because it’s normally £899.99, a saving of over £400. Worth considering if you have the room for it, I think.

I hope this helps and that you have fun with whichever model you go for!

Thanks
Kev from Comet

To be honest I'd not bother with the U20 its based on Panasonics older non PDP screens so not as bright and uses more power, the S20 is better in every way than the U. Its also better than that Samsung LCD, sorry Comet guy ;)

What's the 50" plasma at 500? LG?

Wayne1421 If you want the S20 Richer do them, if you go in store and ask they may well round the price down to 500 :) http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/panasonic/viera-txp42s20/pana-txp42s20

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom