Which 40-42" Tv Should i buy!!

ScrewLoose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Now i know this question has been asked time and time again but for all times sake im going to ask it again.

Which 42" LCD tv should i go for!! I have got myself into a somewhat confused state having spent 3 days looking at different retailers stating different facts about the same tv that they say is different............

I bought an ONN 42" Lcd tv from Asda last week with the guarantee that if the tv was not what i expected to bring it back. ITS GOING BACK!! Its crap. I have a sky HD plugged in through an hd lead and the picture is awful. Its fuzzy, blurred and you can see the pixel squares through changever and slow play back. The VGA inpout however is VERY GOOD and crisp.

Anyway i have a maximum of £600 to spend on a 42" LCD tv. I dont fancy Plasma.

It has to have pc input, multiple HDMI slots, scart, svid and maybe usb.

Most tvs come with freeview now but freesat would be a bonus!!

Best ive found so far was an LG for £489 with a 5 yr warranty if i collect from London.I live in Cumbria. !! DRAT.........

Anyhelp with links would be appreciated.

THANKS

Lav

Well yesterday I bought a 42" LG LF7700 from Dixon's for £847 (3% off with code "3tv")

Although I haven't received this TV yet (due for delivery on Thursday) it seems to be great. It has everything I wanted like 1080p,100Hz, 24p, high contrast ratio of 80,000:1, plenty of connections (including ethernet and PC) and it also has a built in Freesat HD tuner. :thumbsup:

Although I can't comment fully on how the TV actually performs therefore can't really offer you much help, on Thursday I will have a better idea. :) Can't wait!

Luke

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Its over £200 more expensive than my budget though!! It was actually cheaper at RGB direct with a free 5yr guarantee if collected...not that i can!!

And pardon me for my dumbness but what would i use an Ethernet port on a tv for?? Is this to view online tv??

Lav

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Its over £200 more expensive than my budget though!! It was actually cheaper at RGB direct with a free 5yr guarantee if collected...not that i can!!

And pardon me for my dumbness but what would i use an Ethernet port on a tv for?? Is this to view online tv??

Lav

Yeah i realise that is above your budget, but i started my budget at about £600 and ended up spending more. Also, I saw that on RGB Direct, but they don't deliver to where I live :thumbsdow (Northern Ireland).

Now I am not expert either, far from it. But from what my research tells me, the main use of the ethernet port is that in future can be used for BBC iPlayer (legal things need to be sorted before this can happen I think) and I believe IPTV... Internet Protocol TV. You can look that up because my knowledge of it is no better than yours. :)

When I was looking at TV's I saw the Sharp 42" DH77E. You should look into it, the 42" can be picked up for around £650 and it seems to have pretty good specs, but again I don't fully know how it performs.

Hi

I have the sharp Aquos Version 1 32". Brilliant. Picture quality is A1. Thats probably why i feel this ONN Set is CRAP!!

Ive just moved ti to the bedroom and installed it on a swing arm so we can watch dvd's up there!! I feel like im in a ****ing penthouse now!!

I want from this set is GOOD quality picture viewing and a crisp pc pic through vga or maybe dvi/hdmi.

Theres so much choice out there!!

I can understand your view and purchase, but i have a pc hooked to this tv as a media centre so ethernet at the moment isnt a must. I could get a freesat card for the pc so i could live without that.

PICTURE QUALITY!!!!

I said i didnt want plasma as i wasnt overly happy with the sharpness of the sets ive seen. My lounge is only 12ft by 12ft so it has to be pin point precise.. We have this as a cinema room during the winter months as we have a loft we go into most summers with another tv as its so hot!! Mid terrace with a drunk who likes to shrink with his fire on full, 24/7!!

Hi Guys.

Now i know this question has been asked time and time again but for all times sake im going to ask it again.

Which 42" LCD tv should i go for!! I have got myself into a somewhat confused state having spent 3 days looking at different retailers stating different facts about the same tv that they say is different............

I bought an ONN 42" Lcd tv from Asda last week with the guarantee that if the tv was not what i expected to bring it back. ITS GOING BACK!! Its crap. I have a sky HD plugged in through an hd lead and the picture is awful. Its fuzzy, blurred and you can see the pixel squares through changever and slow play back. The VGA inpout however is VERY GOOD and crisp.

Anyway i have a maximum of £600 to spend on a 42" LCD tv. I dont fancy Plasma.

It has to have pc input, multiple HDMI slots, scart, svid and maybe usb.

Most tvs come with freeview now but freesat would be a bonus!!

Best ive found so far was an LG for £489 with a 5 yr warranty if i collect from London.I live in Cumbria. !! DRAT.........

Anyhelp with links would be appreciated.

THANKS

Lav

May i ask your reasons for not fancying a plasma ? Many people are put off by stupid rumours and LCD fans saying the technology is dead.

This is far from true and in most cases its the better tech imho.

I said i didnt want plasma as i wasnt overly happy with the sharpness of the sets ive seen. My lounge is only 12ft by 12ft so it has to be pin point precise..

If you can tell me a set that has lcd preciseness in plasma format i will go and have a look!

I am no tech when it comes to tvs as such.

still learning.

LAv

I don't know if this has all of the inputs you want and of course no free extended warranty but hey. Your budget is pretty small for a big TV LG 42LH3000 LCD TV | Laskys.com

I said i didnt want plasma as i wasnt overly happy with the sharpness of the sets ive seen. My lounge is only 12ft by 12ft so it has to be pin point precise..

If you can tell me a set that has lcd preciseness in plasma format i will go and have a look!

I am no tech when it comes to tvs as such.

still learning.

LAv

May I suggest you find a shop that has a 42" Panasonic plasma set up properly. Feed it the same signal as any LCD you might be considering and you will then realise why plasma is so popular from 42" upwards.

All these sets are very adjustable as far as picture is concerned - sharpness being one of the adjustments you can make.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom