Which 4-Bay NAS?

jamsam2000

Novice Member
I am currently looking to get a 4 bay drive to stream music and video around the house. I am using a mix of homeplugs and wireless to pass it round the house and I will predominantly using Plex to run the media through.

I already have the drives ready to go so ideally i wont have to do any reformatting or deleting partitions and would be using the system as JBOD.

I have been looking at the Buffalo LinkStation Pro Quad 4 Bay NAS but i am not 100% sure if it will cover all my needs.

I have been wanting to get one sorted for a year or so now but keep failing to decide.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

cjed

... I already have the drives ready to go so ideally i wont have to do any reformatting or deleting partitions and would be using the system as JBOD.

What format are your existing drives in ? Most domestic NAS units use some variant of the Linux EXT3/4 filesystem, so would almost certainly require reformatting of the disks.

Goldenbone

Having paid full price for a synology NAS in the past, but recently having bought an HP microserver (£100 after rebate + £50 for 8GB ram) I'd go for the latter every time. If you definitely want an off the shelf solution, I'd aim for synology or qnap - reckon they do the best kit in that area.

jamsam2000

Novice Member
Thanks for all the advice. I think the qnap is the best option. At least when considering the price. Micro server will probably the next toy. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom