• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which 3g netbook

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
The wife wants a netbook. Something which has integrated 3g connection rather than having to use the dongle. I thought I'd be unindated with choices but it looks like these are few and far between. I want a good quality unit.

What is your budget?

sub £450

What size laptop do you want?
(In terms of screen size)
Netbooks are usually less than 11"
Ultraportable laptops are usually 11" to 13"
Standard laptops are usually 14" to 16"
Desktop Replacements are usually over 17"

below 13"

Do you have resolution requirements?
For example "must display 1080"

nope but higher the better

Do you want a matte or glossy (reflective) screen?

don't mind

What will you be using the laptop for?
For example, Browsing, Gaming, Word Processing, Video Editing, Web/Graphic Design

general net use and word processing/powerpoint

If you will be gaming, what games do you need to play?

not required

How long does the battery need to last?

longer the better - fairly important

Does it need to be portable?
Will you be taking it out and about or just leaving it at home on a desk

yes this is essential

Do you require Blu-Ray?

no

Do you require HDMI output?

no

Do you have a preferred brand?
For example Dell, HP, Acer

dell and apple, but neither fit price/3g requirements

Are there brands you would prefer to avoid?

anything too cheap & tacky

Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop?

prefer new

Any other details you feel necessary... Colour; Webcam; Good quality speakers; general spec: CPU, RAM, HDD space, SSD; Operating System or anything else you can think of.

prefer it to have win 7 but will consider andriod

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I've never seen built in 3g, but I guess they do exist.

you did get 3G netbooks but the last I remember was the old Dell Mini 9 (I think), I don't think it really took off in this country hence why not many are offered in the UK

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
so far I've found a samsung one which looks like it suffers from rubbish battery life, a tosh one which looks great but runs android and apparently they've ruined the interface.

Apart from those I found someone who would sell a new nokia booklet for £500 which is £100 over budget. The nokia is also quite slow but then i suppose any of these aren't going to keep up with my macbook.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
so far I've found a samsung one which looks like it suffers from rubbish battery life, a tosh one which looks great but runs android and apparently they've ruined the interface.

Apart from those I found someone who would sell a new nokia booklet for £500 which is £100 over budget. The nokia is also quite slow but then i suppose any of these aren't going to keep up with my macbook.

the Nokia Booklet 3G right?

here are some reviews:

Nokia Booklet 3G Review | Netbooks | CNET UK

Nokia Booklet 3G review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Laptops and netbooks

Nokia Booklet 3G review -- Engadget

Nokia Booklet 3G review - PC Advisor

karupeshu

Standard Member
Hi there,
You could try looking at this deal only £30 per month.

Laptop Details

It is a great laptop (from reviews) and comes with a built in sim card so you don't need a dongle.
Works out as £720 over 2 years including interent access which would normally be around £360 for 2 years, so you are effectively getting the laptop for £360 which is less than anywhere else selling it.
Only negagive is how good the 02 reception will be where you will be using it.

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
I don't deny thats a good deal but having a 13" macbook it needs to be smaller I think

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
anyone else got any bright ideas?

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
went for it anyway, seems a good price for what it is and she'll just have to put up with the dongle if it doesn't have the 3g

dc8900

Distinguished Member
went for it anyway, seems a good price for what it is and she'll just have to put up with the dongle if it doesn't have the 3g

touchwood that is's 3G but yeah, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't but good luck with the other half anyway if it doesn't ;)

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
nope doesn't have 3g for the record but seems as good as any of the other netbook things, she can have a contract dongle with the money I saved not buying a nokia lol

dc8900

Distinguished Member
nope doesn't have 3g for the record but seems as good as any of the other netbook things, she can have a contract dongle with the money I saved not buying a nokia lol

ah well, it was worth a punt anyway, and lol, at least all is not lost

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom