Which 3d Blu-ray with extras (dlna etc) please? Sony S490?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Triggaaar, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    I had no plans to get a Blu-ray player (I never collected DVDs) but since I've just bought a 1080p projector (films as secondary use), it seems sensible to get a cheapish Blu-ray to go with it.

Since the projector (Benq W1070) is 3d, it seems like a good idea to get a 3d player (I don't really care about 3d, but figure we should try it).

I knew nothing about DLNA etc a couple of days ago, but if I can download or stream movies from my PC to the player (in hi def) that would be great too (I have Ethernet connection available).

After searching a little I thought the Sony BDP-S490 seemed like a fair bet at only £90, but reading the owners thread here it seems that the extras (anything other than Blu-ray) don't work too well. I don't care about DVD play-back, I have a decent DVD player.

Are there any other players I should consider (preferably low budget)? I'd drop 3d if necessary.

Many thanks
    (I need hdmi out and SPDIF out for an old 5.1 receiver)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    If you read the threads for any player there are people having problems with dlna. I brought a wdtv live last week and have been really impressed. I haven't seen any bluray players that display the information and images so well, and it plays a much wider range of video formats. Sorry the photo isn't the best but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    I'll check a few out, like maybe the Panasonic BDT220.

Interesting, I've just checked out their website. Are you using it as your main TV device, or just an extra? I'm currently using sky for all our tv needs, and I'm really just looking for something for 1080p films, but I could move away from sky at some point if there are good alternatives.

4. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    The wdtv is a small media player, it supports dlna, USB etc. there is a Netflix app, but I still have sky. What you can see in the photo is blurays I have ripped to a nas drive. If the panny player is anything like my tv it just lumps everything it finds in one list, you don't get any images and it doesn't support dts sound. It's fine if you just want to play the odd film off USB, just my experience of course.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Oh my. You know that feeling when you realise you've just stumbled into a mountain of work. I'm now reading through the streamers and network media players forum. Maybe I won't bother with a Blu-ray player at all.

6. mineisapint

mineisapint
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The WD is certainly a very good option for streaming - i have had a few over the years. I recently replaced my main WD with a Sony s490 as it can stream all my movies across the network just like the WD and in addition lets me spin the odd Blu-Ray that i want to continue to play direct from disc. And it boots up faster.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Which sounds great - but doesn't the s490 have problems with a lot of files?

8. mineisapint

mineisapint
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I haven't found any format issues yet with approaching 1000 video files and I must stream a couple of hours worth through it each day. That said all my files are created identical using hand break - they are all mkv/h264 with either dolby digital, DTS or dts-hd audio. I use serviio as my server but don't use transcoding. Can't fault it.