1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 37" Plasma ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Retrospek, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Retrospek

Retrospek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

You are probably sick of people asking "which Plasma should they get!" - but I spent most of yesterday reading this forum and my brain hurts...please help...

I want to buy a 37" Plasma screen. I only have a small lounge so can't go above 37". I spent all day yesterday looking around and found the following models:

Panasonic TH37PW5B - is this now an obsolete model ??

Panasonic TH37PA20B - Did this replace the one above ? and is it better ?

Philips 37PF9965

I would be very interested in your opinions on which Plasma is the best out of the ones I have listed (or any others?). Also, if you already own one of these models please let me know if you would recommend it.

Thanks everyone..

Mark

2. mralsal

mralsal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had same prob. The TH37PW5B is still around and u can get it 4 a very good price. TH37PA20B is the same screen with same resolution but has slightly higher contrast rating. It comes with built in speakers and tunner and cost much more. at the moment i`m trying to find out about the phillips but not much info out. I do know it also has built in speakers and has higher resolution than the panny. not sure if tunner is built in or box and i dont think it has progressive scan on PAL. So it all depends on what you need; tunner or no tunner, speaker built in or not and if you want progressive scan ie from highend dvd player. Saying that Phillips 37PF9965 has its new PIXEL PLUS which might do the same job in making the picture better but at the moment I just dont know. Try doing what was suggested to me and get a demo.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    i have a pany and i found the new philips to have a better picture
    but im not sure the connectivity is so good as a panny. i have heard bad reports about panys with the built in tuner. it seems to interfere with the pic and after time start to make a noise.

The panys are excellent value at mo, and if its your first plasma you cant go wrong. i have had a few probs with mine and panasonics service is not great (£30 M&S vochers dont make up for the 3 mth saga) but if u get a good one they are sweet but they are not true HD they are SD. Lot of new stuff due from big players like pioneer so do your home work.

My pioneer has the best pic in dvd . it gives a real 3d feel to pic. and to watch monsters inc is unbeliable. the colour is awsome.
    My money would be on the new pioneer 434 hde. as it is HD has pal prog much better contrast, class leading brightness and looks a real gem...one to watch

4. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the panasonic 37pa20 is available at John Lewis?
    How much is it
    Has anyone had a price match price for it?

Or is there anywhere else I should look I am edging towards John Lewids because of the 5Yr Warranty.

5. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    mralsal,

37PA20 is based on the new pw6 and not the pw5, and that is a total difference in quality. So retrospek, read threads about pw6b to get information.

Wasabi,

6. hddvdman

hddvdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    somethere over there but not near here, there
    Ratings:
    +155
    i have the panasonic 37pw5 and i cant fault it, but want to upgrade to 42, so if you are interested i want £2600, that includes, panasonic tuner, tuner board, rca board, speakers and stand.

its about 6 months old and i have all boxes and receipts somewhere..

other wise you can probably pick a new 37pw5 plasma panel only for about £2450 and the rest is extra.

keep me posted if interested