• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which 37" LCD circa £500

Red Tim

Standard Member
Morning all,

I'm looking for a 37" LCD for the in laws as their CRT has just died.

Looking to spend approx £500, can anyone recommend which is the best set for that price?

Muchas gracias:lease:

j17ykp

Standard Member
Panasonic TX-P37X10

from JL under £500 including a 5yr warrenty has been given rave reviews

the only thing holding me back from getting one is the lack of 1080p i know its a petty thing but its holding me back for some silly reason

even though my TV viewing mix is probably 60%SD 20% DVD & BR 20% gaming via ps3. stupid i know

KAIZR

Established Member
It's not an LCD and only HD Ready but Panasonic's TXP37X10B plasma won a Gadget Show test for best budget tv on this week's show.

You haven't mentioned what the main use of the set will be but + / - points to consider imo are:

+ Sport (will handle fast moving images a lot better than LCD)
+ SD viewing (HD Ready is usually preferred to Full HD when viewing non HD channels and even HD tv channels currently only broadcast up to 1080i)
+ Natural colours/black levels
+ 100 Hz
+ For a Panasonic set that cost around £600+ when it went on sale in March this year, you are getting a very good quality set compared to LCD's for the same size/price).

- Heavy gaming use (some retention may occur on static images)
- Not Full HD (For Bluray, picture will be 720P)

John Lewis are selling the tv for £499 with the normal 5 year guarantee. Bargain.

KAIZR

Established Member
Panasonic TX-P37X10

from JL under £500 including a 5yr warrenty has been given rave reviews

the only thing holding me back from getting one is the lack of 1080p i know its a petty thing but its holding me back for some silly reason

even though my TV viewing mix is probably 60%SD 20% DVD & BR 20% gaming via ps3. stupid i know

Haha I took so long writing my post, you already posted the same set - good choice btw.

I would go for it. Maybe go into an independent tv shop first and ask to watch SD on both a Full HD and HD Ready set side-by-side, it will soon put your fears to rest.

Unless you are spending over a £1k where you will get additional processing to compensate for the picture, there is no point buying Full HD when the main use of watching tv is for SD.

I completely understand that you want to have the most up to date future proof set though.

vickster

Distinguished Member
I have the previous generation and blu-ray is excellent (as well as SD of course). Go for it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom