Which 37" 1080P LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by BigAl59, Sep 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. BigAl59

BigAl59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need advice about which 37" LCD 1080P i should buy. I want to spend upto £800.

I had previously purchased a Toshiba 37C3030D which made a very noisy clunking noise when it was turned on then again when it was turned off. I returned this and replaced it with the Toshiba 37X3030D which was fine for a couple of weeks, then started to make a buzzing noise. So I am about to replace this one, but I think I will stay clear of another Toshiba.

I was wondering if the Philips 37PFL766D which is a similar price is any good?

Panasonic don't have a 37" 1080P (one due soon but I guess will be more expensive)

So any advice will be welcome,

Cheers,

Al

2. JohnOrion

JohnOrion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well my recommendation would be that you forget that size and buy a 40-incher. The reason is that firstly Full HD is for bigger screens anyway, and secondly, some 40" Full HD sets are smaller (less wide) than 37" Full HD sets. For example, that new 37" LCD Panasonic is insanely wide, and tellys such as Sony 40W3000 are no way near as wide as it is. Of course, 40" Full HDs tend to cost more... But for me, I would consider it quite peculiar if someone buys a 37" Full HD set that is wider than a 40" Full HD set...

3. duncanvdlinden

duncanvdlinden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If an 37" is wider what's the problem then? nowdays the most sources are widescreen, and theater format even wider. Or do you mean an 37" needs black borders on the right en left side if you want to fit an 16:9 picture completely, i dont't think so.........

I also don't see the point why not to buy 37" FULL HD lcd, if it big enough from your sit position it's fine, it is always sharper then 720p!

4. JohnOrion

JohnOrion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was talking about the physical dimentions. :rolleyes: Look, can we agree that in most cases Full HD benefits from a bigger screen (as the difference between HD Ready and Full HD doesn't become apparent in smaller screens)? This being the case, I just find it a bit odd that someone would buy a 37" Full HD telly that is physically wider than a 40" Full HD telly. However, as I said, there's always the matter of the price.

Take me for example... I live in a small apartment and don't have much space. Still, I wanted a big screen TV. There wasn't much choice as Sony 40D3000 was clearly the nobrainer in terms of price (under 2000 euros), size (width 981mm) and SD performance. When I heard about that new 37" Panasonic LCD I got so excited... Finally I could get a telly that is bound to have good SD PQ (Panasonic has a good rep at this), decently priced and, most of all, Full HD (the one thing D3000 is missing). Alas, I found out that this 37" Panny is 1031mm wide. So a 37" model is physically bigger than a 40" model. And it's not because of the better technology either... Sony 40W3000 is only 991mm wide. So right there and then I decided that I'd buy Sony 40D3000... and I did. Obviously most people don't have such space restrictions as I have, but considering the fact that you get much more out of 1080p with a bigger screen, I really don't see the point (apart from possibly saving some money) of getting a 37" model that is physically wider than a 40" model.

5. ell

ell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    For my viewing distance of 7-8 ft I think a 40" tv is a too big for me and I've got the space to fit a 1031mm wide screen.

6. JohnOrion

JohnOrion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You mean when watching SD or HD? Because correct me if I'm wrong but some viewing distance charts show that in order to see clearly the differences between HD Ready and Full HD, the viewing distance of 7-8 feet would require something like a 50" screen. On the other hand, 32" would be considered pretty optimal for SD from that distance. But as I said, when HD is concerned even a 40" TV set is "too small" from that distance.