1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 36in widescreen ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PeteB, Jun 21, 2004.

1. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am after a 36 in CRT widescreen TV.

I have a sky digibox and a Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD + HDD Recorder (with Prog Scan Component out)

Also have a surround sound system, so picture quality is my primary criteria.

With High Definition TV possibly arriving, will these TVs be able to take advantage ?

I was thinking of a Panasonic TX-36PL32, - I 've not seen user reviews of these anywhere yet, or a Toshiba 36ZP38

what does everybody think ?

Cheers

Pete

2. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have had the tosh set for 9 months and am very happy although i have read other members views who unfortuntaely for them do not seem to have shared the same happy experiences ! - My 2nd choice was gonna be the panny 36 inch which What Hifi seem to like at least !

Colin

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    36" wide screen?
    Depends on who picky and fussy you are.

These are my experenices ( I stress you may not have these problems and my views are exactly that just my views!)

The panasonic tx36pd30 that I had suffered from a number of problems. Input with an R.G.B signal had noticable interference. The picture seemed overly green. Black seemed to black with a loss of detail.The geomatry left a lot to be desired and its general picture prossesing in my opion was nothing to wright home about.
    Satalite broadcasts also seemed to suffer with very bad motion smearing and noticable patches of colour noise.
    Dvd pictures through component input were on the whole quite good, but any sudden camera pans and fast movement seemed to catch out the prosseceing and you would see very bad shimmering and almost a slicing of the picture type effect.

The thoshiba picture frame 2 36" was on the whole quite good. the picture from all sources had minamal prossesing interference and movement was very smooth. However, mine had a very noticable dirty screen effect , ie it looked like there was dirt or dust on the inside of the screen. O f course it was not dirt but some sort of error with the sets shadow mask (I do not know the tec details of this problem)
    This set also had very bad geomatry. there was very noticable bends in the picture from left to right along the top of the screen and it gave the effect of the picture actually saging on the screen!

I have now given up on 36" tvs. I have recently purchased a loewe nemos 32 from tv and video direct. This tv has one of the best pictures I have seen on a tv. It is not with out its problems though. It suffers from the dirty screen effect again ( which does seem to be very common!) and the left to right geomatry is slightly out. I am having the tv replaced for another of the same model on wednesday and hopefully it will be a bit better.

Please do not let my ramberlings put you off. THere are many people on these forums who have very good versions of these tvs. And like I said, it does depend on what you are willing to put up.

4. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't remember where I've seen it, but I've seen somebody else say that 36 in CRT is too big, & will always have geometry errors & 32 in is the practical limit.

Also these TVs are trying to generate pseudo High Def pictures from standard 625 line sources, so it's not going to work all the time.

I'm inclined to try one, I'm not ultra fussy, (but I did notice the rubbish digital TV picture of the England France match ) - I've currently got a 50Hz JVC AV32WFT1EKS - so I'll put that in the other room fed by a freeview box.

I was thinking of the new Panasonic TX36PL32 (reviewed in What Video & Widescreen TV June issue) rather than the tx36pd30. Both that & the Toshiba seem to be between £1000-£1100.

Does anbody know if these will be able to take advantage of High Definition TV when it arrives ?

5. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a Sony KV36FS76U and overall I am very happy with it. It has required some tweaking of the settings but the results are fantastic. I looked at all available 36" sets prior to purchase and this was the best of the bunch... to my eyes anyway.
    The DRC works especially well in DRC50 HZ mode, giving great resolution and even football looked great the other night, via freeview. DVD's are pinsharp and for the most part stunning, all down to the source material really.

6. paul710

paul710
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Panasonic TX36PD30 and after going into the service menu to adjust some settings I am really pleased with it - looks like I was lucky and got a good one! Have a look at one and see what you think.

7. 45six

45six
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't find much on the TX-36PL32, more info on the PD30.
    But Comet and Currys both have the PL32.
    Anyone point out the main differences please ?

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The 36PL32 has no Dolby Digital and has significantly less digital processing than the PD30. However looking at the reviews in Magazines such as What Video & Widescreen Entertainment the PL32 scores better in Picture terms if not in sound.

9. 45six

45six
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's good as I didn't want to run the sound through it anyway. :thumbsup: