1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 36" Widescreen?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by blzbob, Mar 16, 2003.

1. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am starting to think about upgrading to widescreen in the near future and I am looking at 36" CRTs.

With all the various letters after the names and proprietary features from each manufacturer I don't know where to start. Also reading the threads there seem to be reliability/quality issues at this size.

I watch DVDs, Sky Digital (through SKY+ box soon) and play XBOX games (one of the reasons to get a big widescreen is for multiplayer).

Main features I want are picture quality and reliability. I have surround so ideally I don't really want to waste money on a surround set. I will want to put my "boxes" in a closed stand(Xbox and sky+ both make some noise so I want to keep them "quiet" but with space to stop them overheating) but will probably get this separately.

I won't be upgrading for a few months but if I know what I want I can sit back and look out for offers. I "could" go up to £2k but would prefer to get something around £1500 if not lower.

So which tellys should I look out for, which ones should I avoid and what features should I look out for (are there any good websites for reviews?)

Thanks

2. lemonjelly77

lemonjelly77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased the Panasonic TX-36PB50 which i have found to have a great picture with true depth and exceptional DVD reproduction. It has surround sound but you can just leave them in the box and it is available from around £1470 on the net which i got a local retailer to price match.

I am very happy to recomend !!:smoke:

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy a Toshiba 42" Dolby Digital RPTV for less than £1500. 36" is too small!
    Or go for the 50hz Nicam only version, £1100- 42PW23P.

4. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

Thanks for the recommendation.

Size does matter, but I haven't been impressed by the rear projection sets I have seen (seem better for pubs where you aren't watching it constantly) or big rooms.
    My room isn't that big and I also need the space under the TV for my amp so I will stick with a standard CRT.

I think 36" will have to do, until I get a plasma screen ;)

Lemon,

I assume the TX36-PL30 is the same thing without DD surround. So I will add this to my review list.

Can anyone comment on the below models or if there are any more I should look at:

Philips 36PW9607
    Sony KV-36FS76
    Toshiba 36ZP18
    HITACHI C36WF830N

Thanks

5. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the FS76 and it seems to fit all the criteria you require.

Excellent picture quality.

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I know three people who have the Tosh 36". I can give an honest opinion on this set. I was so impressed with these sets that I almost bought one instead of the plasma screen I have now.

I have seen a few 36" screens. This is easily the best I have seen.

In fact I will go as far as saying it is about the best CRT set in terms of size and quality I have ever seen. 2 grand in curries / dixons / comet (All be it with VHS & DVD package)

Can be had on Qed website for between 1400 - 1600.

7. MattJB

MattJB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :eek:

DO NOT GET THE TOSH 36ZP18P!!!!!!!!!!!

Search for a full history for the many problems!

Get a Tosh 36ZD26P............

Progressive scan & far better than the above!

You won't be disappointed!

8. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Philips 36PW9607 now after returning a Toshiba 42WT29 RPTV, the Toshiba was a wonderful TV, fantastic features, Component in, Dolby Digital, 2 Digital Audio inputs, But ......... it had a pink bloom to the right of the screen that couldn't be repaired and the manual convergence wouldn't converge.

The Philips 36PW9607 on the other hand has a most wonderful picture, by far the best I have seen. The TV's only drawback is a single Digital Audio in, in effect this means a single Dolby Digital Source, the Digital Audio in only works with Scart 1, so to change to another digital source means unplugging the Scart and also the Audio. Naturally enough I leave it on one source.

However, do your own research as I gather from posts on here that if you manage to get a fault free Philips 36PW9607 you are in a minority. Guess I was lucky.

Wayne