1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 36" Widescreen should I get?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tobes, Aug 14, 2003.

1. tobes

tobes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After just receiving my third Toshiba 36" widescreen in two weeks and still having the colour staining on the edges of the screen, I have decided to give up on Tosh and go for another set. The shop I bought it from has the Philips 36" pixel plus set in and this would be an option, but I have read the thread on here about its problems and its kinda put me off at the mo. Should I just give up on 36" and settle for a 32 or try the Philips and hope for a good set? Any advice would be most helpful as I'm getting ticked off with having spent a lot of money and not being able to get a good set.

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As a 36" TV owner I would say save up and get a Plasma.

It seems that most of the 36" sets have issues. I almost love my Pixel Plus set, but I do have geometry issues. I'm less annoyed by these now I watch movies on a Projector! ;-)

My feelings on 36" is that it is going to be hard to move on later and it will depreciate massively. I was thinking how hard mine would be to sell the other day and that was just physically how hard it would be to move!

Plasmas are getting cheaper all the time, and 36" sets are hugely bulky so much so I think they will be almost impossible to sell on when you come to upgrade in a few years.

Sorry, I'm finding it hard to express myself on this one!

I have a 36" TV, I like having a big TV, but in many ways I regret buying it and would do it again differently if I was buying now even if I had no issues with the set.

Cheers
    Marc

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Every type of large screen has its problems, e.g., LCDs can suffer from bluring, contrast on the majority of plasmas is poor (not to mention double the cost), projectors require a large screen & much darker conditions, crts have issues with crappy 100hz modes, and so on.

Personally I went with a panny tx-36pd30, and I've been impressed with the picture performance, but it does seem that there are a few duff models around. I strongly recommend that if you get one that you test it throughly while the installers are there and reject it if it has any problems with RGB inputs (see the thread on black crushing), geometry problems or PAL progressive.

CRTs offer the best compromise for picture performance against living conditions, if you are lucky enough to have a home cine room, I would go for the projector every time.

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    I second BrianC's thoughts.

I find the picture quality on my Panny 36PD30 the best of any display that I have seen. My first PD30's display quality was not as good! Buying a CRT does seem more of a lottery than plasma or LCD.

I can see geometry issues - although there is a convergence problem in the very bottom right of the screen. This is so far in the corner that I can only see it using an Avia test disk - despite looking out for it during normal viewing.

For me a plasma would not have saved any space as I have my TV in the corner. The PD30 has a rounded back so goes right into the corner unlike some other 36" TVs.

Plasmas and especially LCDs and rear projection, simply didn't give a picture that (for me) could compare to CRT - especially for Sky viewing.