1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 36" TV? Toshiba 36zp38?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by leedscj, Dec 27, 2003.

1. leedscj

leedscj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have £1300 to spend on a 36" Tv. Im considering buying the above. Is this the best? If so, where's the cheapest place to buy?

2. rajp

rajp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis do it for 1500 including delivery and 5 yr guarantee - I havent seen it much cheaper than this and if it is cheaper it doesnt usually include a 5 yr guarantee which by reading accounts on this forum ,would be useful to have when buying any 36 inch set

3. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Best price I've seen is Costco £1299 inc 3 year warranty.
    Cheapest is PRC £1289.95 inc del &1 year warranty

Have a 36zp18 myself, but have just ordered a panasonic 36pd30 having seen it side by side to a 36zp38.

Regards,

Chris L.

4. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chris I.

How much do Costco charge for delivery?

Also, how are you going to go about exchanging your current set?

Kindest regards

CJ

5. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    topmba,

Costco don't del (means finding a friend with an estate or van etc as 36" box is huge) and you can only buy with credit, no debit cards etc.

The ex got the current set (I got the dining table and chairs!), but this suits me down to the ground as I can upgrade to the 36PD30 with progressive scan input. One of the perks of separation is that new found freedom of spending your money on you want. Well before I get snared by the next honey pot that is.

Regards,

Chris L.

6. leedscj

leedscj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    Thanks for Costco advice..How much better is the Panasonic? Is it very noticeable??

7. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would say the 36pd30 was 10-15% better than the Tosh. The picture was also very natural (I hate overtly computerised / artificial looking pictures) watched a few DVD snips and digitally fed football. Whether the 10-15% difference is worth the £1500.00 asking price compared to the 36zp18 at £1300 is another matter. I think is it, but then some people pay £3000 for a plasma with an average pic !

Though I'm getting a bit sick of waiting for the 36pd30 to come into stock. I can get it tomorrow if pay the silly prices out there, but the deal I’ve got is circa mid Jan delivery (away on business for majority of first 2 weeks of Jan so not to big a problem.

Regards,

Chris

8. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am awating for a JL pricematch so I can arrange delivery.

They say delivery, assembly, and connection are three separate events. :confused:

JL does not even co-ordinate them. So you get your lounge filler box one day and the unpackaging and assembly some other day. That is £30 :eek: including connection to 3 pieces of kit. Any more is a £5er each.

Is it true therefore, as per previous post, that their service has gone down and they are strugling to deliver.

PS. My tube has been on back order since the 2nd of Dec. (I shall get the free dvd player sd330e). If I had got them to match their own web offer initially I would have got a vcr as well
    :suicide:

Just waiting:rolleyes:

9. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed... if you get a good one. :smashin:
    That's probably because so many people (like me) keep sending them back with faults - "dirty screen", colour purity, green cast, etc. etc. :suicide:

10. rvd48

rvd48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chris l.

i thought Costco offered 5 year warranty? has it changed?

im on the market for a new 32" widescreen tv + home cinema system.
    would you say Costco are as cheap as online retailers for tv's ?

i dont want to pay argos/comet/curry's/etc for tv's with high profit margins. (bad experience with Argos).

11. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got offered a price match with prc direct by JL MK today.

However, the lady in undersales said that they would have charged £40:eek: delivery ( I thought it was free to mainland UK) therefore the total would have been £1329.95. Add to this the extorsionate "assembly" fee of £30 and the grand total of £1359.95 crops up. Delivery on the 7th of Jan

I am paying the assembly to avoid entering the murky waters of "damage". It is a >70 kg beast.

31.12.03 Just got a call from Brooks. Assembly is the day after.

12. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got sick of waiting for my 36pd30 to arrive and so I went out "reviewing"and came back with a Sharp LC-30HV4E 30” LCD.

Decided I didn't need a 36" as I would now more likely use my Z2 (100" screen) when wanting a big picture. Having got the Tivo / NTL digital running into the Z2 and seen how good the pic is it won’t just be used for DVD paly.

Sharp seems to be very good out of the box but will have a play with Avia / DVE tomorrow.

As for the Costco deals, in my local store (Oldham) all tv's have 1 year with a Philips plasmas and the Tosh 36ZP38 having 3yrs on them. The only problem with Costco is getting the box home (size) but you have the advantage of getting them when you want and not messing around with del companies etc. For price Costco seem as competitive as the usual online deals, but you can’t pay with credit.

Regards,

Chris

13. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    consider JVC 36 HIGH DEFINITION CRT TV. The only hd tv on the market.

14. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chris, what was the overall price of the sharp? Did you get connection cards,stand and other stuff?

15. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    topmba,

Paid £2150 for standard retail pack, which included screen, speakers, desk stand, separate media box - three scarts (2 rgb), component, s-video, pc input etc

ie : http://www.sharp.co.uk/aquos_tv/range/products/product.asp?id=2

Not bad as all the reviews I could find raved about it being the best 30" lcd for the price (when reviewed at £3500 a few months ago).

Regards,

Chris

16. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chris, it makes my meagre 10% off look decidedly pale.:(

While the 36zp38 has always been £1500, at least online, since summer 03, and recently also in shops, these LCD beauties´prices are dropping faster than a team of skydivers. -> Getting close to their production cost plus margin.:smoke:

I am starting to suffer from a severe case of post-purchase dissonance disorder.:p

PS. You paid 58% more than me for 45% less screen:lesson: Humm

17. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    topmba,

If it makes you feel any better I've gone through £8+ grand in two years of changing my mind / upgrading, but I think I'm there now, well I bloody hope so.

Chris