Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which 36" TV? NTSC only prog scan or both NTSC and PAL?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by GavinH, Sep 23, 2003.

1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am after a 36" CRT TV, and the current thinking is the Toshiba 36ZD26P. This is based on good reviews, and its price in comparison to the other alternative. I understand that the Toshiba only supports NTSC progressive scan, which is a negative point as I am most likely going to get the Harmon Kardon DVD25, which does PAL...

I think it's the case that Panasonic do a 36" CRT (TX something...) that supports both NTSC and PAL progressive scan.

My questions are as follows:

Will I notice a significant difference between a non-prog scan PAL image and one that is prog scan? i.e. is it worth considering a PAL prog scan TV?

Do Panasonic do a PAL prog scan TV that doesn't come with a load of sound options - subwoofer etc - as I have this side of things covered?

If I decide to go with the Toshiba, are there other DVD players to consider, bearing in mind the PAL prog scan ability of the Harmon Kardon will be redundant (for now)?

Thanks,

Gav

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    the panny TV that you are talking about is the TX-36PD30, it supports pal & ntsc prog scan (only via components, like the tosh) and comes with a very basic built in sound system (no external speaks provided).

However, there are a lot of people who have reported faults with this television, see the sticky at the top of this forum for more details.

Personally I prefer the Panny over the Tosh for picture quality and I was unhappy with the green bars issue (search this forum with the model number for more info) - but other people have been happy switching to the Tosh from the Panny.

One final point, all 36" TVs have some sort of problem so do not expect perfection.