1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 36" should I buy? Spend my money for me, please!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Matthew Attoe, May 23, 2002.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi there,

Finally got the go-ahead from my fiancée to buy a new 36" tv. I need one with integrated dolby digital 5.1.

I had just about made my mind up about the Tosh 36ZP18Q (with all its known problems - after all, is any set ever going to be perfect?) but have now heard about the Philips 36" Pixel Plus tvs.

Could someone spare a few moments and explain to me what all the queries on the forums are about with regard to the HD Cybertube i've heard about, and what model numbers exist for the 36" Pixel Plus sets.

Need integrated dolby digital 5.1 and at least 3 scarts (2 RGB and 1 s-video).

Have about £2000 to spend. So which would you buy, the tosh or the philips Pixel plus?

Hope someone can help as i need to make a decision this weekend.

Thanks

Matthew

2. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Based on your needs the Philips has the 2 RGB, the tosh has only 1 RGB input. ( Tosh 3 Scarts total, Philips has 4 BUT 2 are Composite only! , the other 2 being RGB ( AV1 , AV2 ) )

There is only 1 36" Pixel Plus TV at present 36PW9607

Andy

3. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify what Andy just wrote:

The Philips 36PW9607C has 4 scarts - 2 are RGB and the other two are composite only (AFIAK - havent tested them with SVID) it also has a side connection (right hand side) for Svid.

All current 36" Philips models contain a Panasonic tube (Philips dont make a 36" tube at present) to be honest i wouldnt worry about it being a Panasonic tube - i was a bit worried about it at first but bit the bullet and bought one anyways - and chuffed as house im i that i did :) cracking telly - best picture i have ever seen on a telly.

If you require DD 5.1 then the 9607 is the model to go for - or the 9617 if your going 32" or 28" route. These are the only models currently available with Pixel Plus and all have Dolby Digital 5.1 - although only via co-ax input - no optical input option. New models to be released wont have DD 5.1 but Dolby Prologic.

Spike

4. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Andy

5. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matthew - I'm in the process of ordering a 9607 and hope to get one by next week .

I've been looking at different tv's since February and was considering either a Tosh picture frame or a Panasonic until the Pixel Plus arrived.

I like the style of the TV, it's Dolby Digital integrated and it's got detail on the picture which in my opinion, blew the Tosh and Pana away. I'm sure if you go through the threads you will see that there has been some debate regarding having a Pana tube (and not a Philips one), but if you need a tv like I did and you are happy with the picture, go for it!

Good luck!

B.

6. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I had a demo of 4 36inch tv's about 3 months ago from my local dealer the latest one from sony had very average picture quality a panasonic one which was also average.
    By far the toshiba and the philips were stunning picture wise also looks and features were also superb.

After long deliberation and the dealer put me in a room on my own and allowed me to watch a R1 version of Fifth Element all the way through on both tv's.

For me the toshiba came out tops picture wise it is faultless every tv has it's faults but the toshiba is tops.
    Yes it has only got 3 scarts one RGB but it also has component which is a massive bonus.

The sound is also breathtaking
    Go Toshiba you will not regret it.