1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 36" CRT?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rasczak, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    I am look at purchasing a 36" CRT: the only use will be for watching DVDs (many 4:3) and watching Freeview. Accordingly I need a set with:
    - At least 1 RGB capable Scart
    - Component Input (PAL and NTSC progressive scan compatible)

I do not need Dolby Digital sound or an integrated digital tuner (infact I don't really need any tuner!) although if a TV with these has other features I want I will, of course, buy it.

High Definition is a concern with this purchase: where do current CRTs stand on this issue? HD-TV is coming in the next 18 months, HD-DVD won't be far behind. I will jump on the High Def bandwagon as soon as possible and would ideally like to watch such content on my CRT as well as on my Plasma. Are any current models suitably compatible?

As things stand I am quite keen on the Panasonic 36PL32 which seems to have had good reviews across the board and is cheap - although seemlingly at the expense of digital processing features. I am also keeping an eye on the thread of the same name. Can anyone suggest other models I should look at? Toshiba, JVC (which seems to be considered popular on this thread) or any other major brands? Philips models are not an option however good Pixel Plus 2 is.

Thanks in advance.

2. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm finally getting my PD30 to perform as it should. If you got a good one I'd imagine you'd be really pleased. And it's apparently HD ready with a mod????

However, mine still has some serious faults on which I'm awaiting Panasonic's comments.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Interesting - what faults are those?

Yes I saw that mention in the Home Cinema Choice review. Do you have any idea what the mod involves? Does it apply equally to other CRTs from Panasonic/other brands?

4. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Ras

You have seen my posts already. I can assure you I am a real nit picky SOB when it comes to my toys.
    I am currently torn between the Philips 32" 9509 PP2 and the Panny PL32. The 9509 definitely has the best pic from DVD and analogue tuner but I really want a 36" and whilst the PL32 can't compare to the 9509 it is excellent for that size of TV and its only £980 in store or £930 on the net.. I have watched Nemo and Toy Story Demo's and was very impressed with the rich colours and depth of picture but just not quite as sharp as the 9509 or the Philips 9618. I must admit over the last month I have become very impressed with Pixel plus once it is set up correctly. I think I could live very easily with it. I currently have a Hitachi 32" which has died and am waiting for a settlement before I purchase mine.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Why is everyone ignoring the JVC 36P38????

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    I'm not - it's on my shortlist to 'have a look at' on Saturday based on your recommendation on another thread! :smashin:

7. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ive looked at the JVC and it was very good, as good as the philips with pixel plus but seemingly without the problems of pixel plus (only seen in currys though).

8. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The JVC was a very nice TV with a good picture but it was £1299 in Curry's, which is £300+ more than the Panny PL32.

9. Mulletron

Mulletron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why's everyone ignoring the Toshiba 36ZP48??

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that Mod doesn't apply to UK PAL Chassis PD30's.

If you like Panasonic's picture qualities and you feel lucky you might get a good one (and it's quite comforting that there are a lot of very happy owners out there). It's the one to go for.