1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 32" TV is best?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by paulous, Feb 24, 2003.

1. paulous

paulous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cutting a long story short I'm now in a position where I need to consider alternatives to the Philips 9617 and Sony FQ80 32" CRT TV's. I've already had both , but...

1 - Philips 9617 was returned with 'black vertical bars' problem and replaced with a Sony FQ80

2 - FQ80 was returned with loud power supply buzzing and replaced with another FQ80

3 - Replacement FQ80 has the same loud power supply buzz AND a 3mm screen curve.

I've now been offered another replacement, but I'm not sure what to go for.

Can anyone suggest any alternatives to the above TV's? Is the JVC or Panasonic equivalent any good? I think the design of the Sony FQ80 is fantastic, but it doesn't seem to come without problems, and it's the most expensive model.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from owners of such TV's.

2. Cake

Cake
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The panasonic TX32PB50 is another alternative. A Grade picture quality, has Digital sound and some nice features like various window'ed modes.

3. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm in a similar position after having three faulty pb50's and waiting for a full refund

The pic is fantastic (apart from my current unit) but this model suffer's from the dirty screen problem so if you don't mind watching a program with the effect of lookin gthrough a dirty window then go for it.

oh and did I mention the vertical lines which are very noticable during football ?

it's a shame because the TV has every feature you could ever want

4. Cake

Cake
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm my friend has this tv and I havent seen these problems, panasonic are usualy a very good manufacturer but 3 replacements is pretty terrible.

5. paulous

paulous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ANyone care to comment on JVC's DIST technology? Is it a serious rival to Sony's DRC and Philips Pixel Plus?

Is the JVC HV 32HD25 a TV I should be considering ? Anyone got one? Any known problems?

I need help!:rolleyes: All I want is a decent non-faulty TV!

6. Tetsuo

Tetsuo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should check out this thread for more info about the JVC:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56033

But to make a long story short. After getting to play around with the JVC on display in the store, I managed to get a good picture on it. But the default (or whatever setting the ppl in the shop had it set on) was not very impressive.

After seeing what this TV could do, the Philips and Sony was never even close to putting me off this TV. It has a better picture than both, and support Pal/NTSC progressive scan.

The only negative thing I can say about it, is that it is picky on what you feed it. Even "cheap" DVDs come across... well... cheap ;)

7. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I had a philips 9527 and sent it back .Would not touch them again.Have a panny pb50 and it looks great no problems as yet!