1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 32" TV for best all-round viewing performance?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Stevez, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Stevez

Stevez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been planning to buy a 32 inch widescreen TV for quite a while. However, despite the favourable reviews given to many sets (Philips, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba etc) in various publications, it seems that every model on the market gets a severe kicking in these forums from some of the people who've actually bought them.

Great picture/sound performance for DVD playback will be a very important factor in deciding which model to go for. However the amount of time spent watching Sky and terrestrial TV in my household is far greater, so having a good picture from that source will also be extremely important.

I've been renting a 50Hz Philips 32 inch for nearly three years now, and have been really happy with the picture quality for both TV and DVD viewing. Can anyone tell me whether I should just expect the viewing quality of normal TV broadcast pictures to appear worse on a 100Hz set (as it would seem from looking at display models in action on the high street)? If so, would anyone care to recommend a really good all-round performer for both TV and DVD picture quality?

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Sony 32fx68 works fine for me both digital and dvd even tape especially if recorded from digital. Analogue can be a bit less satisfactory at times but I think that's partially down to these sets being set up for av input as opposed to rf . You should be able to set up to suit. Sound wise its very good built in sub helps but like most sets best pumped out to an amp. Hpe this helps

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    one that is def worth looking up (though is an older model) is the panasonic 32pl1. Other than my being in an inaccessible part of the world, you could have picked mine up at bargain price! Anyhow, the set is a 50Hz variety and I cant say I have had a single reason to grumble since I bought it about a half year ago. The only down side is that it isnt going to kill you on sound, it is only stereo. To be honest with you, you shouldnt expect sound performance from any tv, this can only be achieved externally

ad

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Stevez

If you're really happy with it don't change!

I made this mistake when I rented my Philips and it took me 3 years and 6 different makes of tellies to finally get a Philips one now that is good enough, but still not quite as good as the Philips 6332 one I rented.

5. Stevez

Stevez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to everyone for their advice, which is very much appreciated. It would be nice to think that spending £800-£1400 on a new TV (or anything) would guarantee you a satisfactory experience, but that's obviously not the world we all live in. Reading everyone's experiences on this site just makes me even more reluctant to give up my (not very cost-effective) rental TV.

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You could buy it off them or bluff to cancel and renegotiate a lower rent.

What model Philips is it you're renting?

7. Stevez

Stevez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wayne,

It's a Phillips 32PW 6005. They've actually now offered to drop my monthly rental fee from £33 to £25, or to sell it to me for £470. I'm inclined to think that £470 is too much to pay for a TV that's at least three years old and therefore might start to develop faults in the next year or so - any thoughts?

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Who you renting it from?

If you're happy with, it keep it. You could find more problems and dislikes if you change it.

If you keep renting it and it goes wrong, they might give you a replacement which might be in worse condition, or a different model completely. At least if you buy it, you can get the same one fixed.

9. tvhustla

tvhustla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sony kv32fx68 works a treat for me, the quality of both digital cable and dvd is superb

10. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the new Philips 32PW9509:D

Bazza:smashin: