Which 32" to 43" 4k smart tv?

sandman666

As per title guys,im after a 32 to 43 inch 4K smart tv for the bedroom,it will be used for watching movies via usb drive,youtube,sky content etc,plus xbox 1 and pc gaming monitor use.

I have been reading for days now and I cant seem to find a smart tv that fits the bill,the size seems to be the main problem im up against,price wise im looking at up to the £600 mark.

The brand is really not that important but the performance and features are,im asking a lot from a 4k smart tv I know,and there doesn`t seem to be very many 4k smart TV's around at this kind of screen size that can be used as a multimedia screen,i didn't really want to go down the pc monitor route if I can help it but will if left no other choice.

Does anyone know of one that will be suitable,or can anyone point me in the right direction to a 4K smart tv that can fit my needs,or am I just asking too much.🤔😉

Dodgexander

Have you considered that a TV is not the same as a HTPC/Android box in the sense it won't play back everything you throw at it? Even Android models have chipset and software restrictions that will could make file playback a pain.

The only time I'd consider direct playback is if I made my rips all the same format know to work well with the TV.

There's no 32" 4k TVs, only computer monitors.

There are 40" and 43" UHD models, but they are bottom spec models with next to no HDR hardware. Typically spending 600 is not going to net you a better TV at this size than spending 300 just because there's not really any higher spec TVs at lower sizes now.

Provided you don't use HDR, for video content & console gaming a 43" UHD TV can be good. From a computer monitor standpoint they can be bad depending how close you plan on viewing. This is because when you use video or console games with the TV, scaling doesn't really matter. Console games are designed to be scaled very highly already, and the menu's, text etc will be readable without adjustments because they designed the games with this in mind. With video content it doesn't matter at all since there's never any small details to read. But with monitor/app usage its a real pain.. 43" is pretty small so you will rely on Windows scaling most of the time which doesn't always work well. Whats even worse is some games and apps don't even scale to 4k, so you have to drop the resolution down to 1080p or you won't be able to read anything.

I tried to use my 43" TV as a PC monitor and it was too large, up close the detail was phenomenal but the viewing angles of the TV were too poor (the edges were noticeably darker) and it was a little overbearing at about 30-40 cm away. Part of the issue with 4k is you need a very large TV for each pixel not to be too small, so whilst the extra PPI from the monitor is nice, it can actually be more difficult to work with.

A couple of questions:

How far away from the TV will you be viewing when you are using it as a PC monitor?
Will the TV always be used directly in front, or at an angle?

sandman666

Oh dear,not looking good then and much more to it than I first thought.i will be viewing straight on all the time when using it as a TV and as a monitor,and as a monitor I will be sat about 60 to 70cm away roughly mate.👍😉

Dodgexander

Oh dear,not looking good then and much more to it than I first thought.i will be viewing straight on all the time when using it as a TV and as a monitor,and as a monitor I will be sat about 60 to 70cm away roughly mate.👍😉
If you mean you view always direct in front and not an an angle then at that kind of distance you won't need to worry that much about viewing angles, but you will find it a challenge with scaling sometimes. I'd recommend a TV such as the Hisense B series at 43" or if you intend to use HDR, the 40" Panasonic GX800.

If you mean when you are up close and using it as a monitor you wont be watching the TV head on you need to consider a TV using an IPS panel instead. I'd recommend LGs UM7 series at 43" or Sony's XG80/XG81 range.

sandman666

I had the Panasonic in mind from earlier reading with very good reviews everywhere,and now you have just made up my mind for me by recommending it here mate,john Lewis here I come,thanks for your help buddy,much appreciated.😉👍

Dodgexander

I had the Panasonic in mind from earlier reading with very good reviews everywhere,and now you have just made up my mind for me by recommending it here mate,john Lewis here I come,thanks for your help buddy,much appreciated.😉👍
It's a good TV. Just a couple of things to beware of. First is you can't use the TV at any angle but head on. The picture will be washed out otherwise. Second is because the TV doesn't really have good HDR hardware integrated you will be limited to using the 'Dynamic HDR effect' mode when you use HDR on the TV to try and cut down on issues. Sadly it only works with video and not games, so the TV cannot be considered for HDR games use.

Having said that, it's no poorer with HDR games than any other budget TV.

etgling

As per title guys,im after a 32 to 43 inch 4K smart tv for the bedroom,it will be used for watching movies via usb drive,youtube,sky content etc,plus xbox 1 and pc gaming monitor use.

I have been reading for days now and I cant seem to find a smart tv that fits the bill,the size seems to be the main problem im up against,price wise im looking at up to the £600 mark.

The brand is really not that important but the performance and features are,im asking a lot from a 4k smart tv I know,and there doesn`t seem to be very many 4k smart TV's around at this kind of screen size that can be used as a multimedia screen,i didn't really want to go down the pc monitor route if I can help it but will if left no other choice.

Does anyone know of one that will be suitable,or can anyone point me in the right direction to a 4K smart tv that can fit my needs,or am I just asking too much.🤔😉
Have you considered buying a second hand one but still has over 2 years of warranty from John Lewis. Look at TV classified adverts here for around £250

sandman666

It's a good TV. Just a couple of things to beware of. First is you can't use the TV at any angle but head on. The picture will be washed out otherwise. Second is because the TV doesn't really have good HDR hardware integrated you will be limited to using the 'Dynamic HDR effect' mode when you use HDR on the TV to try and cut down on issues. Sadly it only works with video and not games, so the TV cannot be considered for HDR games use.

Having said that, it's no poorer with HDR games than any other budget TV.
Yeah I will be viewing head on at all times mate,the main use of the TV will be movie viewing with xbox1 and PC gaming on occasion,so hopefully it should fit the bill.😉

sandman666

Have you considered buying a second hand one but still has over 2 years of warranty from John Lewis. Look at TV classified adverts here for around £250
Cheers mate I'll take a look,much appreciated.👍

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom