StormRider

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i've been looking for a 32' LCD and have shortlist some :

-samsung LA32R71B
-sony KLV-V32A10
-philips 32PF9531
-sharp LC-32AX3M

can anyone recommend which of them provide best value for money?
thanks!

I've just moved on my Sony 32A12U, not that impressed, upgraded to the new Samsung 40" LE40R74 which beats the trousers off everything else for looks, turns in a decent performance and can be had for £1300, though I'll be hanging on to my Panasonic Vierra for a wee while as I still think plasma has the edge, good luck!

In the What Hi-Fi 32" group test July 06 the following was said

1st place - Sony (5 Star) KDL-32V2000 Picture (5 Star) = Jaw Dropping, Sound (4 Star)=nothing Special, Features (4 Star) OK, an extra HDMI input would be nice otherwise most issues covered.
2nd place - Toshiba (5 Star) 32WLT66 Picture (5 Star)= In isolation it's stunning, but the Sony has better colour, Sound (4 Star) OK, It has good Bass weight for a TVof this type, Features (5 Star) Two HDMI key asset, and the whole thing looks smart and solid.
3rd Place - Samsung (4 Star) 32R74 Picture (3 Star) Looks good enough for everyday use, other better for Home Cinema, Sound (2 Star) Thin and sibilant, really needs good AV Amp, Features (4 Star) Smart design and good level of equipment for money.

Hope this helps and brings other models into the frame.

StormRider said:

-samsung LA32R71B
-sony KLV-V32A10
-philips 32PF9531
-sharp LC-32AX3M

thanks!
Always a difficult question to ask because people will obviously want to broadcast their love for whichever set of the 4 you list they have bought themselves. How many people have sat down with all 4 and given them a good benchtest to compare how they perform with the same set of inputs?
I myself have a Hyundai Q321 (@ £599 for a 32" - very good value for money :devil: Sorry, couldn't resist it), so I guess that makes me somewhat impartial - unlike others.
I suggest you buy a mag - you have more chance of getting your answer there.

Andy98765 said:

1st place - Sony (5 Star) KDL-32V2000 Picture (5 Star) = Jaw Dropping, Sound (4 Star)=nothing Special, Features (4 Star) OK, an extra HDMI input would be nice otherwise most issues covered.
2nd place - Toshiba (5 Star) 32WLT66 Picture (5 Star)= In isolation it's stunning, but the Sony has better colour, Sound (4 Star) OK, It has good Bass weight for a TVof this type, Features (5 Star) Two HDMI key asset, and the whole thing looks smart and solid.
3rd Place - Samsung (4 Star) 32R74 Picture (3 Star) Looks good enough for everyday use, other better for Home Cinema, Sound (2 Star) Thin and sibilant, really needs good AV Amp, Features (4 Star) Smart design and good level of equipment for money.

Looks like sensible advice. Although I notice VFM is missing from the list

VFM the Tosh..32WLT66 ...
Overall in all Depts Sony KDL32V2000...As Andy has posted
both at really good prices at the moment...read JL thread above..

Not wanting to be awkward, but I'd also check out the Panasonic LXD60. I've seen it against the Sony and the Philips mentioned in this thread and sorry, guys, but it wins hands down.

As far as I recall, What Hi-Fi didn't like it, saying the colours were too garish (compare this with the only other negative review I've seen of the model which said that the colours were too subdued - go figure). All other reports on the Panasonic I've seen place it above the models mentioned in this thread. The sole downside is that the sound is a bit anaemic (but there again, if you want good sound, you ain't going to get it out of a TV set, full stop).

Andy98765 said:

thats sounds a rather strange review roundup, are you sure its not the sony S? The Sony V is hardly a fair comaparison with the tosh and samsung, its at least £300 more expensive.

I like the picture of the panasonic lxd60 too, it looked better than the WLT66 and many reviews agree with me, couldn't tell the difference between it and the sony V

The Sony V is hardly a fair comaparison with the tosh and samsung, its at least £300 more expensive.
Are you sure? I thought the prices dropped to the point where it's not much more extra.

Lyris said:
Are you sure? I thought the prices dropped to the point where it's not much more extra.

cheapest ive seen the sony v2000 is around £1080 with delivery

for the WLT66 toshiba you can get it for £787 at dixons (£50 less than this with voucher codes)

panasonic lxd60 can be had for around £730 with delivery at Gultronics

Never knew the Toshiba and Panasonic could be had for prices that good - point proven :thumbsup:

StormRider said:

-samsung LA32R71B
-sony KLV-V32A10
-philips 32PF9531
-sharp LC-32AX3M

thanks!

Sharps are great value for money. Don't get the Sony - I've found them really bad and not worth the money.
Philips and Samsung are ok but not great.

As I say, I think Sharps are the best.
Dunno which one you're talking about there but XOMY (the place I get all my stuff from) has the 32GD8E for 577+VAT which IMO is a pretty good price - especially as they give free next day delivery.

Here's the link:
http://www.xomy.com/tvs/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=211

Enjoy!
:thumbsup:

Andy98765 said:

Still don't get this sOnY thing, there's the so called "better colour", looks over processed to me. and the Tosh 'n' others are a couple of hundred quid cheaper.Can't have a LCD 2-3 hundred quid cheaper winning can we, sOnY might take away some of our advertising revenue:confused:

thanks alot on the info guys! actualy all the model i listed is for asian country models, but i think more or less the spec are the same compare to other region models. so far, the salesman told me that only sharp is made in japan, samsung and sony from malaysia, toshiba from indonesia, is it true? does it matter where is the production from?

StormRider said:
Hi all, i've been looking for a 32' LCD and have shortlist some :-samsung LA32R71B
-sony KLV-V32A10
-philips 32PF9531
-sharp LC-32AX3M

The Sony you mention is old model. New models are 32V2000 and 32S2010 which have been getting top reviews from all major sites and magazines.
For example S2010 won a comparison against Toshiba and Samsung in last months Home Cinema Choice magazine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom