1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 32" LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by brettc1973, Aug 29, 2005.

1. brettc1973

brettc1973
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Hope someone can give me a little advice. Know virutally nothing about lcd tvs other than they look cool :). My wife and I are after a new tv and have seen the following products. Any views on the pros/cons? Which one is best in honest opinion. We'll be mostly using it to watch Sky via digibox (Scart RGB connection) and DVD (Scart at present but can use composite).

Philips 32PF7520
    Philips 37PF5520
    Sharp Aquos LC32P50E

Are there any other better value / quality 32/37" lcds out there for around the same price range? <£1500.

Many thanks in advance.

B

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    JVC DS6 in both 32 and 37 flavours. Sharp GA6 and P50 both sizes again. Sony V32 and Panasonic DX500 32" - all available within budget (online generally the best deal).
    The first 2 brands would be my preferred choice at this level. Others rant about the Sony and Panny.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    If you're not interested in HD then you're right to shortlist the Sharp LC32P50E as this could be the best of the bunch for displaying SD material and for your budget you could actually get the 37" version. Unfortunately as it's so new there's not many owners out there yet that can give a good review.

This is also on my shortlist at the mo along with the JVC and Sony and I know this may be heretical on this forum but I really don't rate the Philips at all.

4. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have the 32" Philips with ambilight mounted on the wall bracket and running through my sky box. On DVD the picture is slightly better but overall it's a great screen and am very impressed 9 months on.

5. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    panny lxd500

6. brettc1973

brettc1973
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Given my budget and given the fact that we'll be predominantly using the lcd tv for SD (from Sky and DVD), then I think we'll go for one of the Sharp P50 series.

The next question is: will I get a favourable PQ from my Sky box using a Scart RGB connection?

Basically, we're looking to replace our 28" Tosh CRT and my wife will kill me if the PQ is worse on the Sharp!

Thanks in advance.

B

7. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Your situation is identical to mine,apart from the fact i am not married :clap:

8. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My personal opinion (FWIW) is hold on for the next batch of new screens in the spring. To be fair, it's not the screens that are now at fault, but the crappy signals from terrestrial and digital TV. The best screen to deal with this so far is the Philips 9986 with PP2 (can now be picked up cheep if you hunt around), but a new model is due out about now (9830 PP2HD) with an update in the spring. I know that the right time to take the plunge is never, but 1.5 K is not to be spent in haste. (unless your CRT is deceased) I'm itching to get my new screen, but I feel either the Digital signal will/must improve (this is down to the compression software), in which case we will all be happy, or some extra trickery will be deployed by the screen manufacturers. :(

9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    The best advice I can give you right now, (other than to look at the Panasonics, Sonys, Philips etc) is to remember that if you keep that at the top of your priority list, you might end up with an LCD that looks better when it's switched off :)

10. brettc1973

brettc1973
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duly noted!

Our CRT still works fine, just looks cumbersome and ugly. Having trawled through the many excellent posts in this forum, I think I understand a bit more about the technologies now. I might just pop into Comet or Currys and ask them to hook up one of the previosuly mentioned lcds so a similar setup to mine (prog scan dvd if poss and sky digi via scart if poss) and see what it looks like.

The question still remains tho. If I were to buy a new lcd and am not bothered about hd at present, will the sharp P50 give me the best PQ for my SD setup (for lcds around the £1k mark)?

Cheers for the advice.

B

11. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Sitting here with a Sharp GD1 loaner, and I dread to think how I'll cope when going back to the Nokia 28" 4:3 I've been happily using for 8-9 years now, if not 10.
    Yes, some broadcasts are as crap as a crappy thing, but it tends to be the likes of Eurosport athletic and cycling - Moto GP looked as good as I recall on the Nokia.
    So, P50 series should do a better job of masking this problem and be not much worse looking than a conventional TV, if you don't evisage thinking about HD proper (not DVDs upscaled) for another 3-5 years minimum.

12. ziggy66

ziggy66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really interested in what you find out in your screen test. I was in Currys (again) this afternoon looking at all the usual suspects but the set up was one common coax feed so each screen suffered diferent amounts of ghosting / noise. Plus they were set up such that you could view from 2 feet or 10 feet.

So I am still no closer to finding the screen for me and I suspect that when I do make a purchase I will have to rely on the combined experience of this forum rather more than I would like. I can't ask to borrow a set in good faith as I know I will end up buying online - cost difference is just too great.

13. byrne@pershore1

byrne@pershore1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much deliberating bought the Sharp LC50 a month ago and think its fantastic.
    I was worried about PQ generally given that the displays in Currys were always a bit fuzzy etc, but neednt of fretted(you do when you're spending a lot of money)
    Its had the 'wow' effect on all that have seen it - lovely bright screen.
    We have SKY+ through SCART and the picture is ok - not as pinsharp as TV but you get used to it. I'm very fussy about PQ and I have been completely won over by the TV!

14. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Samsung 32" - Winning every group test at the moment