1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 32" LCD for Elonex Artisan MCE

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Aradian, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Aradian

Aradian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having found the fount of all knowledge on matters audio-visual, I have been following a few threads on this site with interest but, it seems the more I read the more confusing it gets :confused: So any help/advice for a newb would be much appreciated. I'm new to this thing and I'm beginning to drown in an alphabet soup of acronyms (HDCP, i-DTV DVT-B RGB S-VID SOS!)

Basically, I'm looking for a decent LCD not larger than 32" to go with an Elonex Artisan LX MCE all-in-one affair for my living room. Also looking to leverage the functioanlity of my mac G4pb and wireless network to integrate everything into a central system.

My current set-up (if one can call it that) is an ancient ex-rental CRT 15" - don't know the make - and a long dead VHS. I do however have a NTL box but I'm looking to bin that. I don't/want Sky(+) and just watch freeview tv. I would hope to watch a few DVDs in the future though, and want the system to last a good long while.

The tv would have to reside in the corner for the time-being, so viewing angles are important and I want to use it as a pc monitor, although its primary function would be as a tv. Hopefully I'd want to combine a little digicam and use it for skype/video-conferencing with a dual phone. So a good all-rounder with plenty of connectivity and future-proofing. I also have a sony digicam which would be hooked up from time to time.

Budget is around £2400 tops for the Elonex + TV, so that means £1400 max for the TV. Anything lower would obviously be better so i can use the savings to get decent cables + other peripheral kit.

The LCD's I've identified so far are:
    Hitachi 32LD7200
    Toshiba 32LT56/58*
    Panasonic LXD50/500 (Prob 50 - not bothered about paying £400 for a card slot)

* Does an intergrated freeview tuner matter - the Elonex comes with either dual analogue or dual digital tuners. on the PVR/MCE front ability to record one channel while watching another/ or record 2 simultaneously is crucial. So if I went for and LCD with digital freeview Tuner could I go for the dual analogue option on the Elonex?)

Any other equivalent LCD's out there. Does anyone have comments about the above-mentioned LCD's in this particualr set-up context. 1.1 pixel ability is important for pc use.

All help & guidance would be very much appreciated.

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
  3. Aradian

Aradian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the Elonex Lumina, and gorgeous as it undoubtedly is I have reluctantly discounted this for its lack of expandability. So the Artisan is the next best thing. If I can get a decent LCD to with it for about the same price or less as the Lumina retails at (£2199 inc) I'll be more than happy. I am still very tempted by the Lumina though...

Any thoughts on the Lumina vs Artisan + LCD (e.g Hitachi 7200)?

4. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
  5. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    For the best image quality, you want to connect the MCE box via DVI. Only problem is a lot of 32" LCDs dont let you use the native res (1366x768) via DVI.

The Hitachi does, but its not plug and play. Prepare to faff around with powerstrip a little bit. (Also, its not 1366, but 1360 so you are missing off 3 pixels either side of the image, but with the black bezel, its apparently difficult to notice)

The Toshiba and Panasonic you mention have no DVI connections. They have HDMI connections which you can use with a DVI - HDMI lead, but wether they support PC resolutions over HDMI is anyones guess. (More than likely not)

If your only going to be using the MCE box within the MCE interface itself all the time, then i suppose 1:1 pixel mapping isnt as important. It will still look great even at 1280x720, which most LCDs will accept over the HDMI/DVI and component connections no problem. But if you want to do a bit of web browsing for example, then fonts etc will look naff at anything but the native res.

For your budget, you cant go far wrong with the Hitachi imho, but im biased as i have one and love it. It does have the best connectivity at the moment though. You could connect your equipment through 4 different connections, (DVI, HDMI, VGA, and Component) which is pretty flexible. It also offers 1:1 over DVI which for PC use imho is essential.

IIRC the Relisys RLT3200 works at 1366x768 via DVI aswell (works no problem, plug & play) so theres another to take a look at.

There are new LCDs due out from Philips, Sharp and Sony pretty soon also, but the pricing may be slightly higher than £1400 (especially for the Philips) and no mention as yet of PC connectivity. You'd be best waiting for somebody to buy one and confirm it anyway, instead of relying on a spec sheet.

6. lollies

lollies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to buy a media center, and in particular the Elonex Lumina but I was disappointed to learn that I would be unable to watch one digital channel whilst recording on another. The reason being that the Elonex Lumina does not have a double digital tuner.

Is there is a work around to this? :lease:

7. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    My DVB-T pci card (freeview) allows you to watch one channel and record another.........providing it is broadcast on the same MUX.

Some home brew HTPC's use 2 DVB-T cards, to allow twin tuner arrangements.

Btw cheaper HTPC's are available..........There is a MCE forum within AVforums, you may be better off posting PC related issues there.

I do not have XP MCE, but have XP Home, seems to work fine as a HTPC. Do not get blinkered into thinking MCE is more than just a PC with slightly different GUI.