1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which 32" CRT should i buy if i had a budget of 500 to 700

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nigelbuckley, Oct 27, 2005.

1. nigelbuckley

nigelbuckley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    help and guidance is required !
    please help.
    I did have a philips 32pw9308 but the wife has run off with it and the kids.
    well she emptied the house just about,
    so what should i be looking for ?
    Regards
    Nigel

2. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Toshiba 32ZP46 or 32ZP48 if you require surround sound with the TV

3. Jet_Set_Jim

Jet_Set_Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yep, a 32ZP48 is the business when it comes to CRTs.

This said, now that your wife's buggered off you should get at least a 42" screen - let's face it, we'd all have one but our other halves don't let us.

Swings and roundabouts I guess. You could always split the difference and get a 36zp48 - a little more expensive but not too far out of your price range.

4. nigelbuckley

nigelbuckley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm.
    has the tosh's better pic quality than philips pixel plus 2 and all the other crap that goes with it, ie progressive scan, etc.
    I dont need blistering sound as i still have a Sony DAV350 tucked away from git faces !
    yeh i'd luv a 42" f' off plasma, but to get Pic Quality i'd have to spend silly money and i can't justify that !
    but i can justify 700 to myself !
    further opinions please !

thanks
    Nigel

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    nigelbuckley

Hi, try the Jvc models of CRT with DIST technology. Ive got the old model (two years old 32d25) which now is 32p25 i think. Anyway it has dolby digital if you add speakers and the progressive scan is incredible. The tube is actually a toshiba high resolution screen. Now the new model is high definition ready and can do 720 lines progressive.

Watched star wars 3 and the picture on dvd is amazing. For tv channels the tv has to be fed a good source or the picture will not look that good.

6. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    JVC HV32D40 seems to be a hell of a set with 3-rd generation DIST at GBP600...seen it in the European version disguise as HV32P40 minus the freeview (DVB-T) receiver of the D40...it rocks and analog RF quite unexpectedly looks GOOD on this TV...it runs at 900i lines at 75 Hz instead of 100hz that should eliminate the 50Hz flicker and boost up the resoluton...it also runs at 1080i...I'd get this set just to experiment and play with all the features it has...

7. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  8. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Go for the 32ZP46 or 36ZP46 which dont come with the surround speakers! :D Best pic quality on a CRT according to homecinemachoice.com reviews, and they both come with progressive scan, 100Hz, component input, 3 scarts (2 RGB) etc :D

I paid £595 for my 36ZP46 from totaldigital.biz - they are selling the 32" version now at the same price (i got mine when it was cheap!) here:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/product_info.php/products_id/1261

Its the best 32" I know of with 100hz, progressive scan, component inputs etc

[​IMG]

9. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    toshiba is a tv i recommend as well because their tubes are very good.

10. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What Hi Fi (S & V) just awarded a gong to a Pansonic 32" CRT in their latest Awards issue. Not sure about the model number, but they rave about it in the mag. Price quoted as £700 but they go on to say that its' available considerably less than that if you know where to look.
    Get a copy of the Mag and take a look.
    Happy hunting.

11. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Tough one. There's a few sets and the Tosh as above is a good un but you do need to look at it as the pic is not quite as natural colour as it should be in my opinion. Tending to veer on the rich side of colours not due to colour adjustment but due to a brown hue like colour covering the whole picture. This I believe is possibly a trait of the Tosh tubes as all the Tosh sets have the same quirk. Perhaps in isolation not so obvious, unless skin tone purity is your name but against any other TV you'll see what I mean. Also some of the tubes have the tendancy to exhibit a fat vertical white line straight down the middle of the set... obviously not boldly white or they wouldn't reach the shops. Wacking up the brightness often shows if there's a problem or not.

Alternatives are the JVC but again has some horizontal banding problems due to DIST. There's a thread somewhere here mentioning it.

The deleted (like most CRT's) Panny 32PD50 is also a great alternative which has multi window support (2 pictures displayed simultaneously) but again beware many a set has noise problems on the scart i/p's manifesting itself as faint horizontal flickering lines which at best can be tolerated (no affect 95% of the time) and at worst a waste of money. Very equipment dependant. I'm sure there's good un's out there if you can now find one at your price!

If you can find a Philips TV with Pixel plus2 technology well worth a look. These have great tubes which have class leading front to back depth imaging. Knocking spots of just about all other TV's (bar Loewe) in this respect. Scart connections may be a little on the thin side compared to those above but all depends on your needs.

12. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    With my Jvc set I cant fault the colors at all, in fact i havent seen a tv with as natural colors. As for the banding yes there is some banding but very faint and i only notice it when i am very close to the screen and only when i am watching a dvd in region 1 or NTSC. There is a way to correct this of what i have heard through service menu but i am not bothered by it since i can hardly see it close up.

Philips pixel plus sets had the halo effect around fast moving objects and the horizontal lines on dark screen. Dont know about the Pplus2 sets,

bottom line is all the sets have problems that you will have to live with!! Anyway the plasmas are getting cheaper. I am waiting for the market to settle on the plasmas before buying another TV anyway.

13. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Lots of CRT bargains to be had if you shop around, everyone is trying to shift their stock. don't leave it too long, next year most manufacturers aren't selling top of the range CRTs

14. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I still think CRTs still give the more natural picture

15. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    That's because you got used to it over the decades!!! lol

16. nigelbuckley

nigelbuckley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right Gents, i have narrowed it down a little to
    A) Tosh - 32ZP46 ( thanks Mad Andy)
    B) Philips 32PW9309 (only cos i had a 9308 which had blistering pic quality)
    So, its now time for the votes.
    if you had a choice which one.

Regards
    Nigel

17. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Having not seen the Philips in action makes it a much tougher choice also depends on the features the Philips has and whether these are suitable for you.

Personally I think it's a matter of making your own choice now. After all it will be your eyes and ears that will be getting the *punishment*.

For features the Tosh certainly rates highly with component i/p's. Progressive scan capability and Activision. Something tells me the Philips is not that well equiped.

18. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    A vote for Tosh from me as well!!!