1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 32-37" Plasma / LCD to go for..?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tonyh, Sep 22, 2004.

1. tonyh

tonyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - been looking for over two months now and I'm still not sure which screen to go for. I have up to £2500 to spend and have been looking at the following:

PANASONIC TH37PE30
    pros: nice design / dvb
    cons: pc input in front / not Hi Def

HITACHI 37PD5200
    pros: dvi input / Hi Def ready
    cons: ALIS screen / reports of buzzing..?

PHILIPS 32PF9986
    pros: nice design
    cons: reports of picture blurr

SONY KDLL32MRX1
    cons: expensive

KDEP37XS1
    cons: expensive / same panel as Hitachi..?

TH-42PW6B
    pros: people on forum suggest best picture quaility
    cons: need to hook it up to tuner / sound

Question - is the TH-42PW6B Hi Def ready..? Is it the same panel found in the TH37PE30..?

OK, over to you guys - what's good, what's bad..?

Thanks in advance...

2. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Precisely the same dilemma as me. Although I'm not even considering a 42" screen. I think my favourite at the moment is the PE30. Hitachi is more future proof and better for PC input but there are reliability doubts and I saw a terrible set in Dixons, despite seeing a great picture in Curries.

Sony 32" is not much more expensive than the other sets (£2600), but it is only 32" and I have a couple of doubts about how good the response rate is for, say watching football.

The Sony 37" is too wide for my liking and doesn't have a PC input.

The only other sets I've considered are Samsung 37" PS37S4AX plasma (which I can't find anything about) and the new Panasonic 7 series (again, no information)

3. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hope this helps lads!
    very simalar predicament to you having a neutral stance (i have both lcd and plasma now)performance was everything to me i auditioned pio 434 having hdmi dvd player twice early pannys and most others both lcd and plasma the truth is there are alot of good units out there but i went for viera 37 its performance across all formats was excellent especailly screen burn i suffer no marks at all of image still display if lefted stationary for a while the pio was apalling in this dept and none of the plasma problems others mention although
    i ran mine in with contrast and brightness turned below half way and have not used dynamic mode at all.
    warning when you first switch on you may think what have i bought the piture was awful after run in 100-200 hours its excellent its the most crt like plasma piture out there i did like pio hdmi piture though just not enough.
    regards red

4. FlyingRabbit

FlyingRabbit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if U have decided on which to buy yet...but I have just checked out the Sony KDE-P37XS1 - and for me it leaves all the others in the dark..It is large though (with the non-removable speakers) ..and U can now get it for £2419 inc delivery :)

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    While Sony's 1024X1024 plasma monitor still appears to have the edge in resolution we have to remember that the pixels are rectangles rather than square. This enables the monitor to produce the images for the 16:9 widescreen monitor. This means that the 1024 X1024 monitor has to do more interpolating on the horizontally stretched pixel, which can cause some softening. There is just a lot of severe scaling to be done there. The Panasonics 853X480 monitor, having square pixels, will have an easier time with the horizontal conversion. The 1024X1024 monitor can end up softening the image more due to the more severe horizontal filtering.

What the eye picks up may be a much better picture on the 853X480 monitor because the converter/scalar does a better job of "blending" (through progressive scanning) the color information in such a way as to cause a crisper image. Contrast will necessarily translate into a better picture image given the effectiveness of the scalar/converter, though at the same time the 1024X1024 monitor may show a bit better depth/ three dimensionalities.

6. Dan M

Dan M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have got a Hitachi 32" Plasma, never had an issue with buzzing. My Dvd recorder and Sky+ seem to make more noise (when fans running). Just keep it well ventilated. Looking at reviews for a plasma and personal recommendations the Hitachi was the best choice for me. Especially now sky are looking at HD (wouldnt buy anything that does not support this now).

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The ALIS 1024x1024 is an interlaced screen so only half of the 1024 lines are lit at any given moment, with this in mind its resolution is more akin to 1024wide x 512 high.

*EDIT* There was a post some weeks back that explained in great detail how the ALiS panels work and it was quite brilliant to read, a shame I can't remember its location. :oops: Whilst the Hitachis get a mixed response on this forum, I've always been impressed with the picture quality of the Sony incarnations of ALiS, just that Sony's asking price was a little rich for my tastes.

S.