1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 32" 100hz TV for £600 (JVC-AV32X4S)?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by j_duqueno, Oct 18, 2004.

1. j_duqueno

j_duqueno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any one have / seen the JVC-AV32X4S?
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/Details/index.asp?modelcode=JVC-AV32X4S&bhcp=1

Is it any good? I can't find any on the high street to look at :( Any other recommendations in this price range?

I'm looking for a nice 32" TV mostly for watching DVD's don't care about surround sound. 100hz would be nice but can't afford the expensive 100hz models. Is it worth getting a cheapish 100hz (JVC-AV32X4S) or should I just get an expensive 50hz e.g Sony/Philips?

Currently got a crappy old 21".

Any advise much appreciated

Thanks

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheap 100Hz TVs CAN be nasty so if funds are limited go for a nice 50Hz TV - if you don't notice flicker go for a 50Hz TV anyway

3. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The X4's pretty good, but quite an odd design. I'd go for the HV32P37 if you can find one. While the X4 has a digipure system to help stop any problem with fast moving objects (a trailing effect of all 100Hz pictures), the HV32P37 runs at 75Hz and is flicker free but you'd be very hard pressed to notice any trailing. PLUS the P37 has component along with the standard JVC three scarts and supports HDTV.

It also has DIST (Digital Image Scaling Technology) which is supposed to process a higher quality picture. The P37 isn't normally much more than X4, and possibly the same price depending where you shop.

If you wanted a good alternative, I'd only really consider a digital Sony 32" but they don't make a 'budget' version of their digital set (the KD28DL11) in 32", so it would probably end up being MORE money than the HV32P37!

4. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contact,

do you yourself own a jvc p37 series, whats the picture like on analogue & digital feeds? all in all is it really better than a jvc x4 series? cos i'm really stuck between these 2 tv's and a sony kv28cs70.

5. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh, I work in an electrical store. Will be doing so until I go to Uni next year, the money's very good in this particular place.

The P37 series is higher spec. It's supposed to have higher detail, and like I say, any 100Hz fast moving object faults are even less noticeable than the X4 because it's 75Hz. I won't repeat the rest.

You do need a better feed to make the P37 worthwhile though, analogue can be fairly mediocre like most, but it doesn't over process flaws like the Pixel Plus TV's often can.

I haven't seen the KV28CS70 yet, but if it's no different to its predecessor (FX68) except for casing, then I wouldn't bother. The FX68 was stripped of anything but basic 100Hz, and just wasn't anywhere near the usual Sony 100Hz quality. It's because Sony now try and make a 'budget' and 'premium' version for their initial Digital and initial 100Hz range, before you get into the extra detail sets.

The only reason I can see to getting the X4 over the P37 is if you get a particularly good deal on the X4. But neglating everything else, simply the X4 is the model below the P37.

6. j_duqueno

j_duqueno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Contact, the HV32P37 does look like a much better option. I didn't know 75hz TV's existed is this a new technology?

Now trying to choose between the JVC HV32P37 and Philips 32PW9308.

Anyone know if www.be-direct.co.uk are any good?

7. fozzy73

fozzy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if u want a good 100hz set which is 32" go for the sony kv32cs70 from www.digital-point.co.uk for about £600 chuck it in google and there are abotu 3 or so webbys around doing it for that proce including stand and delivery n its a good tv.

8. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't recommend the CS70 since it's the replacement for the FX68, they're both Sony's 'budget' 100Hz, and kinda drop the point of paying Sony prices. It's not a bad set, but unless they've done more than just put basic 100Hz, I wouldn't touch it myself.

The FQ70 (the old model up from the FX68, and replaced by the FQ86) really showed what a difference Sony's higher end 100Hz was over the basic FX68.

9. j_duqueno

j_duqueno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony kv32cs70 does look interesting. But I can't find any reviews of it and the green RGB bug sounds a little dodgy even if there is a fix for it.

I guess no TV's perfect, especialy not for £600... :(

10. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 75Hz scan is relatively new. It's a similar scan mode to a number of higher end models. To put in perspective, this P37 competes with the Panasonic Acuity and Sony's Digital Reality Creation models.

Looks like you're going to have to see this TV is the flesh by the doubts in your post :D

11. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contact,

I think you've more or less swayed me towards getting a JVC Hv28p37, question is do I get it from allders for £499 incl del with a five year warranty or from from be-direct for £419.99 inc del with just the years warranty. As usually the more technology means there are more things to go wrong I suppose. So I guess the 5 year piece of mind is a good thing for the £80 or so extra?

12. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely, make sure the terms of the warranty return the full amount in credit if the set becomes uneconomical to repair. £499 with a free five year warrenty is an very reasonable for that set, especially considering it's retail not online. Plus you can ask for a quick demo with the DVD to see how she looks.

13. j_duqueno

j_duqueno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've tried looking at various TV's on the high street. But the poor signal and setup makes everything look bad.

I think i'll go for the JVC HV32P37 anyhow, the reviews are good and anything will look great after my current TV.

14. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, we normally demo the set with a DVD at my store, but we can always hook one up to a TV if the customer's interested in picture quality when there's a good source.

I've been churning those HV28P37 sales out recently, because the £499 price is superb for the set you get. The only thing it missed is digital, but there's far more connections than you need AND having it outside the TV does help reliability somewhat (more stuff you integrate, more to go wrong).

15. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contact

Took your advice and ordered a JVC28P37 from Allders today. I went down to their store in Kirkstall, Leeds just to check out the TV properly. I must say it did look pretty good. Service at Allders was very good, they were willing to deliver on Monday, but I opted for the Friday, that way it gives me the weekend to mess about with it :D roll on friday :clap: