1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 2nd hand Stereo Amp to partner Dynaudio 42W?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Triggaaar, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    First a quick apology, as I put this in the Pre/Pro Amp section, and its probably better here.

I've just bought some Dynaudio Audience 42Ws from the classifieds, for stereo duty in the bedroom (I know they are aimed at HC use, but I like Dynaudios, want them to go on the wall, and my wife likes the look of them in silver). Source is Squeezebox (new slimp3), digital out, and through DAC (say Arcam Black Box 50, for the sake of arguement).

I'd like to buy a second hand integrated stereo amp from here or ebay to go with it. I'm easy going re make, and it won't be on show.

Some of the amps I've seen recommended in this forum are:
    NAD C352CT
    Cambridge 640A
    Marantz PM7200
    Rotel RA-01
    Arcam A75+

Would any of those have a problem with Dynaudios (4Ohm)?

Thanks

2. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    how about a power amp using the squeeze box as a volume control without going into a DAC.

i just so happen to have a spare Rotel RB981, more than enough power for your 42's as i used it with them on my system.

Although mine is used like this squeeze>Meridian 606 DAC>rotel RSP1066>RB981nowRB1080>42's

i have tried the analogue out straight to a power amp it sounds good. quiet though compared to dac>pre>power. but i don't suppose you will be switching between components.

jon

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    The amp/speakers will only be used with the squeezebox. I haven't ordered them yet, as I won't be installing for a month or two, but I want to choose the 2nd hand components, so I can snap them up if they're about. Got a couple of pairs of Dyn 42Ws to start me off.

So no, I haven't tried the analogue out. I'm pretty set on a DAC for the bedroom, unless a demo proves I don't need one.

As for adjusting the volume with the squeezebox: would the adjustment be on the box, or in the PC (ie, if you have several squuezeboxes, could they all have individual volume settings)? Either way, it would take a good demo to push me off the DAC - amp route.

4. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    You have complete control of the squeezebox via a remote control and via slimserver. it has an analoge and digi volume control. you can fix the volume on the digi out as well for optimum sound quality.

you can have several squeezeboxes all running different volumes and different songs.

so a power amp would work well or you can use a intergrated. its your choice. i love my squeezebox just for the ease of use and sound quality. i use flac recordings and my mate who is a massive naim fan could hardly tell between my CD and the squeeze via the same DAC.

i will try it straight into the power amp and let you know.

Jon

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    What do you mean by fix? I know you can change volume via the slim server, but it's really only via the remote or amp I'd be interested in, and I thought using the squeezebox to reduce the volume (via remote) would add an area to reduce the sound quality - or is that not really applicable if it happens before the DAC? For example, why do you use the rotel RSP1066?
    I'm surprised he could tell the difference at all if they were via the same DAC, I don't think I could (but then I'm not a good point of reference). :suicide: What's a flac recording?

Thanks

Anyone else got any comments on the original thread question (the integrated amps)?

6. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Some people I know have reported pretty good results using Rotel amps with Dynaudio, including the RA-01.