1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 28" IDTV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jamp, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mum's aged Sony has finally given up the ghost, so it's time for something fresh. Intergrated digital isn't necessarily a requirement, but want freeview one way or another.

I've just bought a Panny TX28PS1 and Tosh SD330 dvd, both of which I'm pleased with, so she can't have either of those as that'd just be boring..! ;)

Main requirements are reliability, a flat screen, and good looks. A Sony is prefered as the old one lasted 20something years! Want a dvd player too, so the deals that include those are a bonus.

Thoughts are:

Sony KD28DL10S IDTV (+ free dvd player from Empire Direct) (£507)

Sony KD28DX50S IDTV (+ free dvd player from Empire Direct) (£549)

Panasonic TX28DT4C IDTV (£469 + ~£40 for dvd = £519)

OR

Thomson 28WH201S (£350 + £40 dvd + £50 freeview = £440)

Sony KV28CL10S (£465 + £40 dvd + £50 freeview = £555)

JVC AV28T25S (£399 + £40 dvd + £50 freeview = £489)

Tv prices from Empire Direct except the Thomson which is from Argos as they include a stand. Not sure what dvd or freeview box to go for yet, so they're just estimated prices. I'll check more thoroughly to find the best price when we've decided what to go for.

Any suggestions which combination to go for? Or are there any that I've missed that would be worth considering? I'm prefering the Sony DX50 at the moment. Haven't done well in finding reviews of any of the IDTVs, so does anyone have experience of them?

Is an IDTV sufficiently future proofed for 25 years of use (I'm not joking! :rolleyes:) or is having an external box a safer option in case the technology changes somewhere down the line?
    Also, do the IDTVs have analogue tuners too? Just in case it arrives before we've had the aerial sorted out for digital.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Go for a SOny IDTV - good support - good tuner and easy to use

Mine is four years old and works fine:smashin:

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Does it have an analogue tuner as well ? Yes.
    Is it future proof ? small rant follows........

Nothing can be guaranteed future proof.
    It'll have various A/V inputs for future add-ons though ; this is about as future proof as you'll get.
    We may well have IDTV with built-in HDTV in 25 years time and CRTs may well be obsolete too.
    Who can guess ?
    Plastic/polymer displays, OLEDs etc. (you can look up current embryonic products and research on these on the internet).
    DVI will have been supplanted by HDMI & in 25 years time it will be something different again.
    The audio will probably be 5 or 8 channels but all from one loudspeaker using DSP-based magic (this has already been demonstrated by the way).

I also don't feel many modern TVs will last 25 years - quality has receded due to the push for more features at less cost across the board (even B & O and Loewe let alone Sony, Philips etc.).

Chris Muriel , - jaundiced cynic from Manchester.