1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 26" LCD TV ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by stu.artd, Jul 29, 2005.

1. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    I'm looking to shift some things around in my computer room and replace the 28" CRT with a 26" LCD to save space, or possibly upto a 32" model but I doubt that one will be available within budget.

It must have good playback from non digital sources as it will be used for watching Sky TV through a simple coax signal split from the rear of the VCR as well as playing my XBox, PS2 and Gamecube. I'll be getting an XBox 360 and PS3 at release as well so want HDTV compatibility.

My budget tops out at £800. One of the models I've been looking at is the Sagem HD-L27 and I'd welcome opinion regarding suitability but I am receptive to advice regarding others.

2. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richer sounds do the sharp 26" ga3 for £799 and that's hi def ready (dvi port does HDCP) and it's also a really nice quality set.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Aren't the Samsung 32" LCDs around the £800-850 mark? Nice TVs apparently.
    You might be best to hang fire for a few more months to see what prices the displays settle down at, once all the major players have had their new ones out for a couple of months or so, and demand (somewhat) died out a bit.

4. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    I've been reading some reviews as well as some of the threads on this forum and have narrowed down to the

Sagem HD-L27 - blacks not that great
    Samsung LE26R41/32R41 - Analogue TV pic not great & seems to suffer from tearing
    Toshiba 27WL56/32WL56
    Hitachi 26LD6200/32LD6200

From what I've read I can probably expect a poor quality pic from my TV signal (Sky signal split and routed through coax) on any LCD TV as the viewing distance is going to be 2 metres or less, am I right in thinking this ?

As before any info is appreciated.

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    A booster would help the signal probably. Also, consider the Sharp GA6, which is few weeks away from launch.
    You can't go purely on what you read alone - you have to visit a store preferably one with a good signal distribution set-up, to see which of those sets or others takes YOUR fancy.
    Just use your eyes and trust in what they tell you - if it looks crap, then move on, irrespective of what others may say. Their eyes aren't yours, and they might be happy to settle for a lesser image than you are. Equally, you could be too demanding, and might need to accept less than perfection, at this point in time.
    we can't answer that one for you, only you can.

6. Bolf

Bolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
  7. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what to buy, I'm merely asking for people's opinions regarding the quality of the analogue input (among other things) on their LCD TV's as it will be a sizeable investment on my part. I am aware that people's perceptive abilities vary, however after reading other threads it appears that most people on this forum are pretty good at spotting problems.

For instance I could have looked at a Samsung LE26R41 on display and not noticed the tearing issue due to the input and source material being used, but after reading more on this site I am pretty much ruling that model out unless there is some resolution offered by Samsung.

I will go to a store, but as you are aware it's difficult finding somewhere with a good setup nevermind a good setup and good prices, and I would be uncomfortable making them jump through hoops only to walk out and place the order online but am unable to afford to pay most store prices for what can be found cheaper on the internet.

Two recommendations for the Sharp GA3 now...I'll look into that model a little more, although £800 for a 26" seems a bit pricey compares to some others, is it worth the difference over the other LCD TV's I've mentioned in a previous post above ?

8. OllyH

OllyH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I bought the Acer 26" LCD from Wehavethings and I am really pleased with it. For PC use (via DVI-D) the picture is fantastic 1028 x 768. It is also very good for digital tv (although not as good as my sony WEGA).
    All in all for £480 it's as good as anthing else on the market, however watching football through analogue tv can be a bit annoying as it doesn't look right!